Visiting Malaysia.

Dear All,
I'll be visiting Malaysia from 20th August till 29th August 2013 as a tourist.

Although i have already got a schedule of plan, yet i would like to have answers of few following questions. Would appreciate if someone can help me out.

1-  What are the normal rent a car rates for hiring a normal saloon car. I will be requiring the car from Penang to Langkawi. I may have to drop the car at Langkawi. So is there any rent company which has the office in penang as well as langkawi so that I can hire as a package and return the same.

2-  Generally, which mode of transportation is preferable, BUS or TRAIN.

3-  Is Malaysia (KL and Other cities) safe for walking on streets or just roaming around. Is it an easy to go country.

4- Any other tips you feel that should be known as a first timer tourist.

I have been to thailand quite much, but i do hope its much different than it..

Looking forward for the early responses.

Regards,
Shabbir.

1- i have not tried but my friends rented a nice card for about 1800rm a month.

2- it depends where your headed, for withing KL train is fantastic, and inter city buses are neat and tidy too.

3- IN KL and main Cities not a problem, its safe to roam around

4- well if your taking the cabs, make sure that your on a metered cab, this is number one rule :), you can take a fast train from KLIA to KL sentral for 35rm, takes only 28 minutes, bin tang area is pretty hapening and nice foods.

hi, am not sure about car rent as i am not living in KL, but i give  you a few tips:-

1. if you stay in a hotel, make sure all of your important things keep along with you everywhere you go..do not leave it in a hotel room..sometimes the worker will thieves it..but this not always happened..just sometimes..

2. if you roaming around the street/city do not place you money in a bag or wallet..place it somewhere..there are robbers everywhere..one of my tourist friend keep his money inside his pants..not in a pocket..

Hi, welcome to Malaysia soon. Below are my comments:
1) Driving from Penang to Langkawi? Both of them are islands thus i recommend you to travel by sea instead to Langkawi. Anyway if you really want to drive there, try avis.com.my

2)Between the cities, bus would be more convenience compared to trains but within Kuala Lumpur city, trains would be much faster

3)Avoid dark alleys as crime can happen anywhere :)

4)Not all shops accept credit cards so do prepare cash whenever you need to. Do have umbrella with you whenever you travel in Malaysia as rain can pour down anytime. Enjoy :)

Hi rads78,

Thank you for those useful information :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Malaysia is similar as same as other tourist destination. As long as you're not inviting or asking troubles, you will have enjoyable time. Just simply get away from troubles! Just need respect people so naturally avoiding troubles. Have fun here!!!

It is only possible to get a vehicle from peninsula Malaysia to Langkawi via cargo vessel (at RM 160.00 return ticket) which will take 1 night to cross over, meaning the vehicle can only by retrieve the next day at Langkawi Port ( Tanjung Lembung ) It leaves from Kuala Kedah or Kuala Perlis.  Info here: langkawidiscovery.com/ferry.html