Living on the 15th floor, what about earthquakes?

Hi Everyone,

I might be moving to Taichung for work. I have already found a possible place to live. A nice apartment on the 15th floor...

Where I come from there are no such things as earthquakes. You can imagine that I am quite worried about earthquakes in Taichung, specially on the 15th floor. I might freak out with the slightest movements.

By the way, the apartment is in Dali district. The building was build in 2012. 15th floor is the highest floor.

Anyone any experience? Which areas are less prone to earthquakes in Taichung?

Hi Wesley,

Most of the hi-rise buildings erected in recent years are in compliance with the building code to withstand the shakes of 6~7 in Ricter scale. Make sure you know the escape route and do not take the elevator in case there's a big quake.

Welcome to Taichung!

El Dorado

Hi Wesley,

You dont have to worry about earthquakes in Taiwan, totally. It is quite frequent, but almost all quakes are just small to medium.

We don't live in Taichung, but we live on the 18th floor of a building in New Taipei City and have never had a problem.  The building did sway during the typhoon that hit in early July, though.  That was a bit scary at first, but you get used to it.