Football, 5 a side...just for fun

Hey All
I'm Andi and coming from Austria (Salzburg). One month ago, I moved to Malta (Msida) and stay here for an internship till December. Well, the weekends and the evenings (after work) are very boring - I don't want to spend every evening at the beach haha. I need to do some sports, especially because I have to work the whole day in an office.

So my question: is there any possibility to play football just 4 fun? Maybe five a side or whatever...or does anybody know a platform?

I would be happy if somebody can help me :)

lg andi

PS: as you see, the reason for my internship is to improve my english - so sorry if there are some mistakes ;)

Love to maybe a nice 5 a side setup for the expats on here would be good ?? any suggestions anyone.

Once I'm out there I will definitely get involved.

Yeah but only in winter please I honestly think I'd die playing footie in August :sick

Well I'm in for sure, but I don't know how or where to organize a field to play?!

But we should start as soon as possible, otherwise the idea "disappears", if you know what I mean. Maybe we should get together for a beer to speak about it and to get to know each other? It would be also easier to see who is really interested and how many we are. So everyone should invite as much (probably) interested persons as he know...

@JayJay: haha but if we are playing at evening (e.g. 20:00) it should be ok. And at least it is just 4 fun - so you don't have to run till you die :D

I'm in ! Have been playing regularly in England but not had the time to get into it here, plan to when back the end of August, meantime there is a football club next to me in Swieqi, will try find out what's available.
Regards
Andy

Andi, your English already seems very good!

Yes I think the evenings should be fine and if it's just for fun count me in (But I'm not very good, i'll always be the last one standing when everyone else has been picked for a team):D

Hope this works out and will follow the thread to see where and when.

Jay.

There are several very good players, currently in Camaroon and other African countries who would love to come over and show their excellent skills. I could introduce you to them, for a suitable agent's fee, shared with Ricky, of course.

I would definitely go for this, too!

I would be interested as well. Excellent idea :)

Some of the football pitches have signs with phone numbers for bookings, e.g. the one in the north-eastern part of San Gwann (close to the Lidl): http://www.maltatown.com/sports/san-gwa … ound/1061/

This one should be in Msida http://www.jc.um.edu.mt/notices/hiring_ … ball_pitch and I don't know where these are: 1) http://universitysportsandleisure.com/book/ 2) http://muhc.com.mt/book/ but they offer online bookings.

"Maybe we should get together for a beer to speak about it and to get to know each other? It would be also easier to see who is really interested and how many we are. "

I really second this motion.....

@Miko Hassing:

MikoHassing wrote:

"I really second this motion....."

:D Thank you for this expression ;)

I suggest this saturday (27.07) evening about 1930 at the "Times Square". (It is in Sliema; close to the Preluna Hotel & Spar). I don't know where you come from, but I hope this Bar/Pup is easy to reach for everyone.

If it is really impossible (time or place) feel free to suggest another appointment. But please just if it is really (!) impossible. Because to find a place which is close to everybody won't be that easy :P

Regarding the time: I have chosen this date/time, because at 2030 there will be the (german) Super Cup final between borussia Dortmund (BVB) vs. FC Bayern Munich (= similar to the Championsleague final 2013). I don't know for sure whether "Times Square" will screen this game, but normally they should do it.

Well last but not least - everybody is invited and of course everyone of you should invite his/her friends, because we should try to be about 12 persons and I count "just" 7 (as yet) ;)

@danex2 and expatboxes: Thank you for this very good input. Maybe you can check out the prices, so that we have a general idea?

@JayJay: Thank you. Ahh as I said, we don't expect to win the Championsleague (but maybe the Europe League :lol::P)

"this saturday (27.07) evening about 1930 at the "Times Square"."

Count me in, suits me just fine.....

Hello guys !!!

I would like so much to come ! Unfortunately I have to manage with work saturday evening.
Maybe next time !

Cya and have fun !

Yeah shame, already have prior engagement but would appreciate knowing later what came out of the meeting. Back to the UK until end of August now but would be keen to be able to jump into a game / session upon my return.
Regards
Andy

Sorry guys I don't arrive until mon the 5th August otherwise 'd attend.

Let us know what you decide.

Saturdays engagement doesn't kick off til 9 ish, hurrah, so can spend an hour or so with you guys beforehand !
Cheers
Andy

Ok, so let me summarise:

1. expatboxes
Will be involved.
Lives in Swieqi.

2. MikoHassing
Will be involved.
Lives in Sliema.

3. JayJay
Will be involved, after beginning of August.
Lives in Qwara/ Bugibba.

4. Axiorigin + 1/2 friends
Will be involved.
Lives in Msida.

5. Danex2
Not sure whether he will be involved. (please contribute an entry)
Lives in Zabbar.

6. Hezza
Will be involved, after end of August/September.
Lives in ????

7. Scubaboy
Not sure whether he will be involved. (please contribute an entry)
Lives in Birzebbuga (which is not that close to the rest of us)

8. AndS
Will be involved.
Lives in Msida.

9. Peter1976
Will be involved.
Lives in ????

10. fsasam
Will be involved.
Lives in Ta'Xbiex.

11. Lobo81
Will be involved, after 21st of August
Lives in Sliema.

So as you see we are 10-11 [09.08.2013] persons. So please invite some friends to come, just ask them (they don't must be expatriates). We should be between 12 - 16 (so it's a "5 a side" + 2 or "7 a side" + 2).
The 2 extras are good, if somebody doesn't have time but it won't be the big problem if we play instead of 5 a side, 6 a side (especially in the beginning, when the condition is not that good haha).

Bongu Andi

I'm going to be staying in Qwara/ Bugibba area so quite northerly but everything's just a bus ride away so nota problem. Unless its Gozo every time! :)

Caw.

AndS wrote:

@JayJay: Thank you. Ahh as I said, we don't expect to win the Championsleague (but maybe the Europe League :lol::P)

Sorry to disappoint you AndS but we have just commissioned an engraver to put our name on that trophy and we have already made room in our cabinet beside the FA Cup.....

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/football/cheering-fan-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sorry guys I can't make this weekend, still in sunny Scotland. I've got an interview on the 7th of August so if all goes well I will hopefully be out in a month or 2, fingers crossed. Got to be optomistic!

Looking forward to a few days over but I will keep you informed with whats happening!

Best of luck Hezza!

Cheers JayJay, absolutely dying to get out there so hopefully this will be the ticket!

Will most likely be staying In either Sliema or Msida once I've made the move so the location is ideal.

Cheers

Henry

MikeInPoulton wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you AndS but we have just commissioned an engraver to put our name on that trophy and we have already made room in our cabinet beside the FA Cup.....

Haha I followed Wigan's season - well, even if we won't be the best football players, Wigan won't be that big problem to reach the trophy ;) You should spend your money for good player, rather than for an engraver :P
No no but I really hope that Wigan is able to climb up in the premier league this season.

Hezza wrote:

Sorry guys I can't make this weekend, still in sunny Scotland. I've got an interview on the 7th of August so if all goes well I will hopefully be out in a month or 2, fingers crossed. Got to be optomistic!

I wish you all the best...if you have some news, just don't forget us - we are waiting haha
If you need some information regarding "living in Malta", I think everyone of us will be delighted to help you.

JayJay wrote:

I'm going to be staying in Qwara/ Bugibba area so quite northerly but everything's just a bus ride away so nota problem. Unless its Gozo every time!

That's the best attitude :D

But we are still not enough player...I haven't received an answer, neither from danex2 nor scubaboy :(

Hi guys

See you all tonight about 19.30 at the "Times Square".

Hi all,

Moving to Malta mid August and happy to join, but don't expect anything as I'm not a good player.

Peter

Welcome Peter, that's what we need someone as bad as me then we can balance the teams! ;)

Thx JayJay

Hi guys, nice to meet Mike and Andi last night and watch Bayern getted tonked ! Think I might have hit the jackpot about the place near me, have e.mailed the guy who runs the 5-aside, Dave Lmer, meantime they have a 5-aside tournament on August 11th which you might want to go along to, unfortunately I'm off island.

http://www.luxolsportsclub.com/default.asp

Regards

Andy

UPDATE SUNDAY NIGHT

Subject: Re: FIVE A SIDE
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:01:11 +0200
To: [email protected]

Hi Andrew.

I am currently organizing a 1 day tournament at Luxol on 11th August. Cost eur200. Prize eur1200. However if it is a long term league you are after I organize the MuHC league at university which is close enough location wise I guess. We play Mondays starting sept 16th at 7pm 8pm or 9pm and reg fee is eur500 for a league, knock out and super cup. I have place for 2 more teams for a 12 team setup so you're in luck and just in time. Let me know ASAP if you want more info on rules, etc and if you want to join in. Matches are reffed and trophies and medals are won for every competition, incl. top scorer and fair play award.

Regards,

David.

Hello Everybody

Yes it was a really funny night with a almost good footballgame and a very good live band - I really enjoyed it.

@Peter: Welcome to our group. Don't worry about skills, you are a runner so you just have to compensate lack of skills with running haha No no, as JayJay said, there is no need to be a second Maradona, it's just for fun and to do some exercises.

@expatboxes/Andy:
I see you already have best contacts, very fine. But I think we don't make it for the tournament in 2 weeks (!). But maybe for the league. Perhaps, your friend has some contacts to "free agents" (I hope this is the correct name for players without a contract respectively players which are looking for a club) players?

And one of your friends (sorry I forgot her name) mentioned, that maybe her son would be interested as well. I don't know how serious it was, but to ask again wouldn't be a mistake ;) Maybe you can ask her?

@all:
I will edit the table above and try to keep it update so everybody can check out how is our project going.

Even MikoHessing promised to check out some other forums to acquire some more players. I'm convinced that we will start playing latest in end of August or beginning of September. :)

LATEST - MONDAY AFTERNOON - Sounds like this is a bit too much for us at the moment, maybe the turn up and play for fun at Luxol might be the better option for now ? A.

Andrew,

I checked with Luxol and there are no 5-aside leagues organized there but just week to week bookings. The only 5-aside leagues currently in malta are the mfa futsal league of which you need to be affiliated to a club (not an amateur league) and then the xitwa league in pieta which is already full and the one I organize in which only the last 2 slots are available, so if your intention is to take part in a league this is your last opportunity as I will be having a captains meeting very soon to finalize everything prior to kick off on 16th sept. ( will go on till may 2014).

Let me know ASAP mate as I have another 3 teams contemplating and it will have to be on first come first served basis.

Kind regards,

David

Thank you Andy, but you are probably right - we won't manage it so quickly - but next season for sure ;) Stay in touch with him haha

@Miko: How goes it with the other special forums? Have you found some?

@aixorigin:
I think you know some french guys on Malta? Maybe some of them are interested to play?

"@Miko: How goes it with the other special forums? Have you found some?"

Hi Andi

Haven't gotten around to that yet, I had a really busy day yesterday. I'll look into this tonight...

I plan on going to the weekly beach pic-nic in Sliema tomorrow, perhaps I can run up a few more guys for the project.

And Andrew: Good work, mate!

AndS wrote:

@aixorigin:
I think you know some french guys on Malta? Maybe some of them are interested to play?

Hi Ands :)

Actually yes, I know some french players. I could bring some of them. Maybe 2, 3, not more. Cause we got very different shift of work and it will be hard to be free all together, with me in priority hahahaha :lol:

Besides, I am not agree to pay for playing. Just for fun !

Also, I got Fifa13 on PS3 at home. Could be cool to meet around a game and a coke (or a beer ^^) if some of you guys are interested !! :P

Cheeeeeeeeeers

Available all the week after 16:00 by the way :cool:

Hi guys

Went to the weekly pic-nic yesterday in the hope of drumming up some more interest, but due to misunderstandings I (with 2 other people) never managed to find them, although there was about 8 of them on the beach.

I will try again next week.

And I'll keep looking for members of other forums that we can get in touch with.

I'll update on any progress here.....

Mike

aixorigin wrote:

Actually yes, I know some french players. I could bring some of them. Maybe 2, 3, not more. Cause we got very different shift of work and it will be hard to be free all together, with me in priority hahahaha :lol:

Well we will manage this problem for sure ;) But at first, we need enough player. Even if you can organize "just" 1 or 2 players it would be very very helpful...
Furthermore it would be good if you invite them to this threat - better to maintain an overview and they can contribute something to our project.

aixorigin wrote:

Besides, I am not agree to pay for playing. Just for fun !

I don't want to disillusion you, but to be honest we have to pay a fee for the pitches. It won't be that much - given that we are 12 persons and given that a football field costs about 30€ per hour and given that we will play 1 hour a week, it will be about 10€ per month and person. Maybe a little bit more, maybe a little bit less...

The prices which Andi (expatboxes) mentioned are for tournaments. And as I said, I think it would be very hard to manage our Team till middle of August. So don't worry, if we really join a tournament, we will speak about it before and you won't be forced to play/pay tournaments ;)

aixorigin wrote:

Also, I got Fifa13 on PS3 at home. Could be cool to meet around a game and a coke (or a beer ^^) if some of you guys are interested !! :P

haha thank you for inviting us, but I hope you have a flat which is spacey enough for us - eg I need a lot of space for my usual victory dance :cool:

MikoHassing wrote:

Haven't gotten around to that yet, I had a really busy day yesterday. I'll look into this tonight...

I plan on going to the weekly beach pic-nic in Sliema tomorrow, perhaps I can run up a few more guys for the project.

Don't worry, there is no need for a rush...but of course it would be nice if you are able to acquire some more player during this pic-nic session. Haha I see, nobody is save...:lol:

Ands,

My workmates doesn't speak english so there is no point I invite them over here :lol: Besides, I just need to know which day we play, I will ask to them and report on this thread their availability or not ;) More simple.

Don't worry I know pitches have to be paid^^ I already played several times at Msida, near the university ! It's only 3 or 4 euros following how many we are yeah ! It's not what I call pay for playing, but I understand there is misunderstanding, I didn't express myself properly :rolleyes:

Finally, I will could not invite you all in the same time to play FIFA13 :P You seem to be confident my friend ! Yes I have enough space for you to cry your defeat :cool: Private message me to arrange some games at your convenience  ;)

Bye bye !