Malta tax and ssc

Hi Guys & Girls

After reading all the other topics on this subject im still confused how the Tax and SSC will work,,, the job i have is my first job in Malta and will be earning 20,000 euros per year however i started at the end of June. reading other topics im led to believe that there is a certain threshold on the tax of around 8500pa? if this is the case and i earn 8333 between the end of june and the end of the tax year does that mean i wont be subject to any taxes?

if anyone can clarify how this works i would be greatful

Cheers

:-D

Amy1101 wrote:

Hi Guys & Girls

After reading all the other topics on this subject im still confused how the Tax and SSC will work,,, the job i have is my first job in Malta and will be earning 20,000 euros per year however i started at the end of June. reading other topics im led to believe that there is a certain threshold on the tax of around 8500pa? if this is the case and i earn 8333 between the end of june and the end of the tax year does that mean i wont be subject to any taxes?

Cheers

correct (assuming no other income earned in Malta or remitted to Malta), but still liable to SSC of 10%

Thanks george I've been trying to work it out for the past few weeks :-)

only had to ask :-)

same applies in every country I've lived in - your personal allowance is allowed in full, even if you move to a country mid-tax year - called split year treatment - you have the same leaving the UK

georgeingozo wrote:
Amy1101 wrote:

Hi Guys & Girls

if this is the case and i earn 8333 between the end of june and the end of the tax year does that mean i wont be subject to any taxes?

Cheers

correct (assuming no other income earned in Malta or remitted to Malta), but still liable to SSC of 10%

That being so, ensure that your employer does not make any (monthly) deductions for (your) presumed income tax liability between now and 31st December, 2013.

Otherwise, you will have to wait until at least December 2014 for a refund of overpaid income tax from the Inland Revenue Department.