Thinking of relocating...

I have LOTS of questions that I hope you Malta expats can help me with:
1.    Accommodation: rentals: Average prices for rental accommodation,  3 bedroom flat/apartment in/near Mellieha?
2.    Buying property: Can someone recommend a good, fair and honest estate agent to contact for this? A bit worried about this “different prices for us foreigners” I have been reading about!
3.    Banking: How difficult is this to set up account? I read on a forum it can take several weeks to organise this?
4.    Work permit: In Malta, do you need some sort of ID number or personal number to work and live in Malta?
5.    Schools: What is the education like in Malta? Is it of a high standard? Free or private?
6.    Daycare: Seems to be very expensive and most Maltese mums stay at home with young children. Can anyone give us an idea of cost or recommend a nursery?
7.    Medical: Hospitals, doctors, are they free for any EU citizens? Standard?
8.    Location, location: We have a young child and don't want to live near party resorts. Where would be good areas to relocate to in Malta? I would like somewhere quiet but with access to shops, schools, restaurants etc.
9.    Driving: I have been reading some worrying info about how expensive cars can be, due to a very high tax for all cars, is this true? Should we bring our own car?
10.    Utilities: Can anyone shed some light on the varying prices? Average cost per month on utilities?
11.     Work: As a qualified and certified locksmith, what do you think the chances are of gaining employment or starting own business?
12.     Language: I have heard that Maltese people speak English very well, but in business they tend to prefer Maltese. Is this correct?
13.    Water: Is there a fresh water shortage/problem in Malta?
14.     Electricity: Is the supply constant? Or is there occasional power outages?
15.     Cost of living: Are prices higher or lower than the UK? (Taxes, food, restaurants, water/electric, phone, TV...)
16.     Malta or Gozo: Pros and cons?
17.     Mobile and broadband: Reliable network? Expensive?
18.     Builders and DIY: How would you describe the standard?
19.     Shopping: Please recommend furniture stores, supermarkets, DIY stores, clothes etc...
20.     Culture: Please describe what's on offer in terms of cinemas, museums, concerts, theatre...
21.     Sports: Apart from diving (!), what's on offer? (Football, tennis, horse riding, bowling...)
22.      Taxes: Income tax, property tax, road tax, VAT...?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

Hi Gunner,

that's a whole lot of questions! I guess you have just started researching your move to Malta. You will find a lot of answers to your questions if you read through the posts of the last 6 months.

As to questions 11 and 12.

Working as a locksmith in Malta will put you in direct competition with Maltese locksmiths.I can't judge qualifications but you will also be competing on salaries, and the average salary in Malta is around 1200,- €

Many Maltese speak English but when they are together and talking business they tend to speak Maltese especially if they don't want you to follow.So it is of advantage if you speak Maltese.

As to question 7

Check out the website of the NHS whether you are covered in Malta.Health care in Malta is only free if you work here and pay social security.

As to question 9

You can bring your car for 6 months with having to re-register the car in Malta.After that the hassle about registration tax will start.The yearly tax is not so bad - probably similar to the UK.

Please go through the blog for more answers.

And one more question? How well do you know Malta? What makes you want to come to Malta?

I think we'll get your many questions answered but it might take some time.

Regards

Ricky

You can bring your car for 6 months without (sic) having to re-register the car in Malta.

That is only true if you remain a tourist. If you become legally resident (which you need to do if you work or if you stay for more than 3 months) then you have to register the car immediately.

full details can be found on the following link
britishexpat.com/expatforum/malta/viewtopic.php?t=9355

Check out the website of the NHS whether you are covered in Malta.Health care in Malta is only free if you work here and pay social security.

This is not true if one is a UK citizen due to the bilateral health agreement between the UK and Malta. There is also the issue of EHIC if a tourist, and possibly an E106 and/or E121 entitlement if an EU citizen

Hi George,

you are right!

But if you become legally resident in Malta you will not be a UK resident anymore! The NHS will give you coverage during a transition period.But the NHS only covers you as a UK resident or as a pensioner.Malta , on the other hand, does not give non-maltese residents automatic free health insurance.

The health insurance question is never easy to answer.It depends on the individual case.

Ricky

Not entirely true

E106 gives up to 2 years coverage after leaving the UK (but ont if you work)

Bilateral agreement covers all UK citizens in Malta, whether temporary or resident

Hi George,

what are we fighting about ?

Isn't 2 years a transition period ? and gunner wants to work as a locksmith in Malta.So he will be covered by paying social security when he works here in Malta.

Some people think that with a British passport they will get free health insurance in Malta when they arrive from the US or Canada or other places. That was what I was trying to say.It depends on the circumstances.

Have you got some answers to the Gozo questions? I guess it is cheaper than on the main island but how much cheaper? What made you decide on Gozo?

Regards

Ricky

Some people think that with a British passport they will get free health insurance in Malta when they arrive from the US or Canada or other places Under the bilateral health agreement they would get free health cover :-)

Gozo is no cheaper than Malta except for renting property where it is cheaper than most of Malta.

It depends on the circumstances.exactly, which is why your statement Health care in Malta is only free if you work here and pay social security. is not necessarily true

Thanks George,

can you answer the other 16 or so questions in your same exact way -)

Actually I do have a British passport but don't get free health coverage !

I wonder why Gunner hasn't been back?

Hi,
my name is Michela and my family and I are moving to Malta from the US in June. You can check the info a lot of people provided to me in February, as "Info" by alemarti. Especially Rick and Tim are an endless source of information.
As for banking, start a bank account with HSBC at least a month prior your move. I just did it; in about five business day we have an answer and in about 20 business days we should receive check book and debit card. In order to open a bank account remotely, you need a European address (I used my parents' in Italy) as correspondence address that you can always change once you arrive in Malta. The cost of the application from the US is $ 200.00, which you are not required to pay at the time of the application. You need to show your driver license, passport, tax return, 4 months of bank statements from a well known bank institution, four months of utilities bills, such as electricity, or water, or telephone. There is an application you have to fill out, and if you give me your email address, I can forward it to you; it also has a check list of the documents you need to provide. All copies must be certified as true by an HSBC bank official. They need all this to prevent any money laundering activities or terrorism funding. It took us about 15 minutes to do everything.
As per your other questions, everybody who lives in the island can give you plenty. I am not qualified, yet, and plus, my children are 12 and 5. Good luck
bye
Michela

Hi Michaela,

I'm glad things sound good.

The other option is to get your ID card when you move to Malta and then go to HSBC. They set up my account with debit card and online banking within a week.

I did it this way after having no success getting my German bank to give HSBC the details they wanted.They are still arguing about who is supposed to authorize who to pass on my bank details to HSBC in Malta!

See you in June! Any idea where you are going to reside?

Ricky

Ricky,
sorry for your experience, but it went pretty smoothly for us. Of course I have no idea if they will look for something else, or if there is any issue. I let you know next week.
No, we have no idea where we will be renting. Our plan was to rent close to San Anton school, but if we will be able to send both our children to a public school, we could live every where. I will contact a real estate agent Tim suggested next month, to see the availability of three bdrs apartments. My sister in law (who lives in Sicily and goes to Malta often) will rent a place for us, signing on our behalf. We were thinking of renting for 6 months, just in case we do not like the place. It would be great to find an apartment that we like so that we do not have to move again soon (I hate moving all the time!!!).
Any suggestion is hugely appreciated.
bye
Michela

ricky wrote:

Actually I do have a British passport but don't get free health coverage !

you could if you wanted to, under the bilateral agreement - this gives free emergency treatment, and at the very worst have to pay 15% of the cost of non-emergency treatment. The reality seems to be even non-emergency treatment is free. It doesn't get you entitlement to a Malta issued EHIC though

10.    Utilities: Can anyone shed some light on the varying prices? Average cost per month on utilities?

Water, Gas & Electricity Costs
(moderated)

Hi Michela,

If you are arriving in June you should do fine going on the market in April or May.There are many rental properties available but they usually come and go quite fast if they are nice.

We are moving into a new 3 bdr in Sliema on the 1 st.May after living in a townhouse for 18 months.If you come without furniture it's easier to find a place as most places are furnished.Our house was not optimal and rather run down but we were slow on relocating because we have our own furniture.It takes about 3 months to get to know a neighbourhood.But in the end our landlord decided he wants to try and sell the house for development!So that helped our decision making. Now we have a nice new place and he is left with an empty townhouse that no wants to buy or rent.C'est la vie-)))

San Anton school is in the middle of the countryside so you will need a car to take the kids to school unless you use school transport.So you can really look anywhere as Malta is a small island.

A friend is a teacher at San Andrea next to San Anton and drives there from Sliema everyday.She says it is a not a big deal!.

Ricky

Many thanks for all your useful tips! I didn't expect a response so soon! :)

Any other suggestions accommodation wise? Why Gozo over Malta, for instance? Any less good areas in Malta that I need to know about?

I will check previous advice on this forum as well. Have a lot of research to do...

Hi Gunner,

Thanks for your compliment.If we can give answers , we give them quick!
Do your research and be back .We'll be happy to answer any questions left.

Malta or Gozo ? It depends on what you want.The islands are very different. Looking for a job and with a young kid you will probably be better off on the main island. Have you been to Malta and Gozo yet?If not you should really make a trial visit before deciding anything.

Ricky

Hi Ricky and everyone on this site!  I have posted before, from the US and I am now in the UK, en route to Malta three weeks from now.  I am wondering if there is anything that you would advise bringing with me to save on expense. 
Are there things that would cost a lot less in England than over there, I shall be in Malta for six months initially to see if I like it and can afford to live there (get a job etc).  I will rent a furnished flat, so any advice on what to bring in the limited baggage allowance is much appreciated.  Thanks!!!

Hi,

the only thing I can really think of that I always buy in the UK (or Germany)is any kind of electronic equipment (laptop,digital photo or filmcamera, and so on). And try to get an adapter from your US plug to UK/Malta.

See you in 3 weeks.

Ricky

Thanks Ricky, duly noted.  I am using my US laptop in England now but am told I need another adapter for Malta, so I will get that before I leave.  Do you think the weather will be warm 3 weeks from now?  How did you all manage to survive with clothes for the first few months, having such a small baggage allowance?  Did you ship or buy?  Being the typical female, I am asking myself what clothes to bring to get the most use out of. 

Thanks for replying so soon, I love this site and am looking forward to meeting everyone.  I see you had or have a meetup, is that a regular event and how often?

Hi,

In 3 weeks time it should be getting sunny and warm but not hot!

You can check our weather on www.maltaweather.com.

So dress for a mediterranean vacation with slightly cooler evenings.Don't forget your sunglasses!If you stay for 6 months you won't really need any autumn or winter stuff here in Malta.

We meet every Friday evening at different locations.Check out the 'Friday meeting' thread for the weekly invitation and info on our meeting place.

Ricky

[moderated: no free ads]

Great Ricky, thanks for info.  Will definitely be looking at meeting place the first Friday I am there!!!

Hi aes2051, I'm using the same adapter in Malta for my US laptop that I used in the UK - so unless I'm missing something you should be fine with the adapter you're using now.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Well now I am confused!  I don't have an adapter, I bought a cord which I plug in to my charger then into the wall.  It has a 3 pin English plug on it.  So I guess I have to buy a US to Europe or UK to Europe adaptor?  Not sure why I have a cord, but the man in PC world seemed to think that was what I needed. It cost me 8 pounds and is much longer than my USA cord.

BTW Do flat rentals come with Internet access?  If not, how does it work, pay by month or what?

Anna

That should work here - the power supply and wall outlets are the same in Malta as UK, so whatever works for you there should work for you here.

Flats may or may not come with internet access - depends on the flat/landlord. If is does you may get it through your landlord or have to contract directly with the provider - again depends. In my case, my flat was wired for internet but I had to talk to Melita and get an account opened in my name - their default subscription is for 12 months, but they will open an account for you if you pre-pay 3 months, which was what we did as our apartment lease was 6 months and obviously we didn't want to pay for internet for 6 months after that. Just speak to Go or Melita or whoever you choose to go with they will likely be able to work with you.

Tim

Hey i've got a flat for renting in st. Julians (Best touristic area in Malta!!). All appliances and tv. 1 bedroom. Internet and cable may be supplied no problem, at the COST.. ( so I will make no profit)! [email protected]

I have a question re relocating and hope someone can give me some answers please. 

I will be coming for 6 months initially, then will decide whether to stay longer or not.  How did those of you in a similar situation handle sending items over to Malta?  I looked at the cost of sending a parcel through the Post Office from the UK and it is very expensive.  I know I can't get that much into the paltry baggage allowance that Ryanair allows, so I am not sure how to get more stuff (mainly clothes or towels, linen, small household items) across.

Thanks, Anna