National school in Cairo

Moving back to Cairo Egypt after 25 years in NYC. We have 3 kids ages 1,4, and 5. My question is are national schools really that bad? We cannot afford to pay 60.000 pounds a years for international school for each child. My oldest son has learning disability and severe food allergies. Some tell me it will be hard and others tell me that things will workout.

Thank you
Best regards

I know that you have asked these kind of questions before, but in national schools is NO consideration for learning disabilities. And with 50 or more pupils in the class (this is governmental schools) that is also not possible. There are some better national (private) schools, but better ones you will have to pay also more. But private schools can reject a pupil or after a year or more even expel without (logical) reason. Have a look at this topic on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1309228 … omments=16

Thank you Geely. I did ask a similar question before. It's so hard to make a decision. I'm just trying to find out the best option for the kids before we leave. Do you know anything about home schooling from the US?

hi.try to enroll them in this school.zahret el madaen language school.it is the best national school and affordable.my son is studying in this school.

Thank you . Way part of Maadi is it in and do they teach Islam and if you don't mind telling me how much is it a year .

Best regards

National schools - don't go there. They treat the kids like dogs and there is NO education - why do you think Egypt is in such a mess!!

Disabilities - the option here is to fend for yourself, if you wish your child to have any kind of life in the future stay where you are, because in coming back to Egypt you are doing him  no favours.

There is also no special consideration for people with severe allergies anywhere here (even the basics such as not taking peanut  products into school just in case - like there is in the UK).

I have checked on the net and the going rate for an EGyptian Language school is around 10,000 LE per year and yes they do teach religion.
There are some special needs school around - but as to whether they are of a standard of what you expect to get in the US is debatable.

Those people who are telling you it will work out - are not the parents of yur child and don't want the same experiences / chances for your child that you want - especilly if they are EGyptian living in EGypt.

But as Geely said you have had alot of this advice before.

@nur asim: his eldest child has learning disabilities, do you think this school (zahret el madaen language school) can provide appropriate education???

Hank you biffy for your advise . I thought they had public schools, national schools, and international schools. Thought national is the same as Egyptian Language. As for my child , his learning disability is that he needs time to take in the info.  We can always find the extra help.  As for the allergis we hope he won't touch anything with peanuts and wheat.  It's something to think about because of what you wrote. Buy at least now I know there are Egyptian Language that are much better than national Schools.

Thanks again

I am so sure you have the right advice from Biffy and Geely...please take care.

Adam4449 wrote:

Hank you biffy for your advise . I thought they had public schools, national schools, and international schools. Thought national is the same as Egyptian Language. As for my child , his learning disability is that he needs time to take in the info.  We can always find the extra help.  As for the allergis we hope he won't touch anything with peanuts and wheat.  It's something to think about because of what you wrote. Buy at least now I know there are Egyptian Language that are much better than national Schools.

Thanks again

Egyptian language school still not reliable,unless you go to the Good ones,,,starting from 18000 L E ,PER YEAR.

Sounds like its gonna be tough.  Thanks for your reply ;(

I can only afford 30.000 L E a year . That's for all 3 kids.

If you have a totally fixed budget for the education - don't come - as they move up through the grades the fees get higher.

And you imagine that in any school in Egypt - with such severe allergies - he won't touch nut / wheat products.
Think you need to put your feet back down on the ground.
Such allergies are rare in EGypt - and I don't know how the families survive - many things are wheat based and have nuts in them - and there is no segregation in kitchens.
It nay even be so simple as a school friend bringing in something with nuts.

Personally with such disabilities / allergies I woldnt even consider coming.

BTW - I take ti your children are fluent in written and verbal arabic?  If not how are they going to go to even a language school?

They are only 4 and 5. I might even think about home schooling. NY is too much for me and I see how people in rehab, or even Madinaty live. I miss going to the club. I miss a few things. Don't get me wrong, I love NY ad I'm gonna miss it so much. But all I do here is work. In Egypt I already have a small business that I can make enough money just to get by and the rest I can always save or look for something to make a few extra dollars.

Anyway, thank you for the info and I hope Egypt becomes a better country soon.

Best regards.

Children can learn quickly, but they can get (at least for the first three years) an exemption from the ministry for the Arabic subjects (they will not have to do exams, or their result counts only for 50% (the third year of exemption).
Yes, I agree with Biffy, fees get higher with the grades, but also the schools raise fees because of rising costs. So for the same grade, the next year can be more expensive.
But you might get a discount if you have more children in the same school.

Thanks - as long as its possible. My wife inshallah saying that that we been eating the kid's food now for 5 years and we've been telling him and training him about his allergies for years and he should know not to touch anything that doesn't belong to him. Even thought he has a para watching over him at his school now, we can't have someone watching over him at school all his life .  Another thing I should mention is that NYC is getting way too expensive , specially the rent. I can't afford to own a car even thought I make ok money.
Thanks for all the info, I'm learning a lot from you guys.

Stay cool

I wish you lots of luck.  Sometimes we get our priorities wrong .. money and material things aren't always the the most important things in the world.

I thank you for the kind words . It meant a lot to me and you are right .
Good luck to you
Best wishes

This is true - but I live and work in Egypt - and in the food industry.
I am mmarried to an Egyptian also - and I know how lacksidaisical the average Egyptian is - so to put someone at risk like this wouldn't be for me.

As for home schooling - good luck. In the US/UK/ Europe again U would say yes go ahead.
I know a few people who homeschool.
The support and the materials - and the follow-ups / checks that the government do keep you on the straight and narrow, to ensure that your children are progressing as they should - but here I would imagine it would  more difficult.

I am not trying to rain on your parade - but I am absolutely a realist - and if I had the slightest (0.1%) doubt that I would not be giving my children the start they need for their life I wouldn't do it.

I know even recently people who have moved back to the US in particular because the education the children were getting at thier very expensive international school was sliding.  The High level, experienced teachers are not coming,and are leaving due to the unstable situation.
In our British school - they have many vacancies because again the teachers don't want to come.