Comparing domestic help

Hi,

So we are considering a move to HCMC....a question about nannies/domestic helpers.

We lived in shanghai for 5 years and had two forms of helpers. We had the Chinese Ayi, before we gave birth to our child, and a Filipino after we gave birth to our son. Everyone knows how wonderful a Filipino is however 400$ a month is out of our price range and our son is older so I would not have the same concerns I had regarding his immediate care. While our Chinese Ayi was fine for cleaning we still had to keep on her to follow our cleaning methods. Should I expect this with a Vietnamese helper or will I be pleasantly surprised? Also, when you usually hired a Chinese helper it was either for house duties or nanny duties, rarely the two. If we hire a Vietnamese helper can we expect a dual helper or not?

I know the questions sound first world problemish but we are in the process of researching before we make the move back overseas. I miss Asia but am totally over china. Need a new challenge!

u search job on extra, it has many people who are looking for nanny job in sai gon,philipo and vietnamese are so much,400$ is so expensive in viet nam,if your son went to school, u should hire partime,and price of nanny in vietnam isnt 300$ too,

Please remember that you have to have work permit in Vietnam to get the residence card if you would like to settle in Vietnam for a long time.
Second thing that, for Vietnamese, you can pay them around 300$/ month for two purposes: nanny and housework.

We're moving to Vietnam (HCMC) too and I asked almost identical questions. I've had advice from various forums, including this one. From what I understand, a good salary for a person living with you is USD 300 + accommodation + meals. Lots of Filipino helpers will work for that salary although some will ask for more (and probably get it too). For someone living out, USD 300 for 9 hours of work  (including a 1 hr long lunch break) would be considered generous. Regarding salaries in Vietnam, here is what one person wrote:
"First, in terms of nanny, the price is dependent on quality of the nanny. You could get a full live in maid and acting as a nanny as well for 150 usd. She works full time, lives with you, helps you ( cooks, clean, babysit, do errands). A typical salary of white collars workers ranges between 150 usd to 300 usd. Salary are extremely low in Vietnam. Most waitresses at restaurants working 12-14 hours a week, earn less than 150 usd a month."
A very similar perspective from an expat in HCMC:
"$300 per month is a fair wage from what I know - salaries range from $230 - $300. Earning $3000 plus per year in Vietnam is considered to be very good - majority are earning under $2k. "
I am told that it is quite easy to find an all-rounder - someone who will look after your child and do some housework/cooking.

Hope this helps!

S

An update: We have now lived in VN for almost a year. USD 300 for full-time work appears to be at the lower end of the scale in expatriate areas (and certainly below the salary range expected by Filipino helpers). Where I live, the Vietnamese are paid 7-7.5 million (roughly USD 330 - 350) for fulltime work (9 hrs including lunchbreak), Mon-Fri, or Mon-Sat (depending on what is agreed on). Of course, the locals pay far less than that. A bonus (one month of salary) before Tet is customary and paid more or less by everyone - expatriates as well as locals. As far as quality of work goes, you get what you pay for - Vietnamese helpers who work for expatriates are usually quite good - very good, if you pay on the higher side of the range. The normal salary range for Filipinos is USD 350-450.  Our nanny, who is exceptionally skilled, works long hours (longer than what would be considered fulltime work), and so, we pay her much above the upper end of the range. In addition, we pay all visa fees (another $25 per month or so) and the usual annual bonus. We also provide lunch and dinner (although she does not live in) and have promised her a ticket back home at the end of a year of service.  There are more costs to be borne if you want your Filipino helper back and renew her contract. So yes, it is expensive to have a skilled Filipino helper. In general, rates vary greatly, depending on skill, experience, where an employer is located, hours of work and whether you are employing a Vietnamese or Filipino person. Having a part-time helper is a good option - although rates are higher than those paid to fulltime helpers, you would end up paying a lot less if you employed someone for just a few hours a week. It seems to me that Vietnamese and Filipino helpers charge more or less the same for part-time work.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Digging up old thread
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Merkushev wrote:

Check the date, its a 4 year old post.