Visit to Corozal

$20 Belize for taxi from Consejo to corozal.

Hi all; we are doing our first recon "SEE FOR YOURSELF" trip in mid Nov for 10 days - driving to San Ignacio & then up to Corozal.  This is a pure fact finding mission so we can consider where we want to semi-retire working back in Canada in summers & winters in warmer climates- if anyone has comments on places we shouldn't miss it would be appreciated.

Will you let me know your findings?  I will be going myself in January.  thank you.

Dave and Diane live on the on the road that goes to the crank ferry, you pretty much have to know where it is, not sure they have an address. It is the next road back from Bayshore or "Gringo Lane" as it is lovingly known :-)
A taxi from Consejo? A guess would be around $20.00 BZD  Hope to see you there in November.

Thankyou Kris and Dave, and yes, do hope to meet up with you in November and again in December for now!
care
Deanna

Hi Katgeorge yes we will. I have read & read & read & read on Belize through many forums and IL but need to check it out ourselves.  I do know we will not be going to Ambergris Caye as it is more costly.  My husband favors San Ignacio because he thinks with the mountains less heat/bugs.  I favor Corozal because of the expat community and the closeness to Mexico. But reading does not compare to experiencing it.

Can anyone comment if there is an expat community in Spanish Lookout - I realize there is a Mennonites community there  and it is more a farming region, but I am not sure if it is worth checking out.

I didn't even know there was a golf course in Consejo shores until Dave mentioned it thanks. We are golfers but it is not a "must have" as we only see that Belmopan has one near Roaring Rivers.

Thanks Marcia

Brownie! - you are from Edmonton??? We can share stories if yuo like.  I contacted another couple of couples early this year and we met and stay in contact.  One of the couples just listed their home, have bought land around SI and planning to move full time.  the other couple is not sure if they are ready to make the jump yet.  We will just be doing a few months of winter for the next couple of years then hoping to do the big move.  let me know if you are interested in meeting, our doors are always open!  When in Nov are you going? maybe we can get together in consejo also.

Hi; Yes we are in Edmonton.  We arrive in Belize on Nov 14 and return the 24th.  We will be working our way from BZE to San Ignacio then back up through Orange Walk -Corozal. Absolutely we are interested.  We will be working summers here in Canada for about 4 years and only wish to do winters in Belize for now. You can contact me at [email protected].  thank you Marcia & Patrick Williams

San Ignacio, can be very hot, much hotter than Corozal as we have the cooling breeze off the sea.  As for bug, can't say, as they don't bother me at all anywhere I go in Belize.  I think I'm just immune to them now after so many bites.
The only way to know where you want to be in Belize to come down, look and find that place where you feel a connection. So you'll know you've found your place once you find it.  Enjoy your trip, hope to see you in Corozal.

Brownie6244 - I believe Cayo has one of the largest expat communities in Belize. That includes San Ignacio, Belmopan and the villages in between.
Spanish Lookout is pretty much Mennonite only, but it's definitely worth checking out. We do a good amount of shopping there. Plus it is a beautiful area.
Lots of farming all throughout the Cayo District.
Cayo is typically cooler at night than most coastal areas, but it can also be hotter during the day.
I find we have less mosquitoes in Cayo than we did in Seine Bight. And, I am not missing the sand flies :-)

Yes Corozal Dave, there were some days last May while in Belmopan and San Ignacio, I thought for sure I was going to melt :-)  Our place is on a hill so we are lucky to always have a bit of a breeze.

We will be in Corozal the 18th & 19th. Would love to meet up with any expats in town and ask a few questions. Any takers?

602-6938   call until I answer.  I do not keep my worthless Digicell cell phone next to my skin 24/7.   We have some new experiences we would love to share.   Kris

teamheisler
Every Wednesday at lunch time - from 11:30 - 3pm many of the expats meet up at the JamRock . Some play darts, others sit and chat, but its a good change to meet people.
The Jam Rock is on the bay towards the south end of town. They have been closed for the last week or so for renovations, but should be reopened by the time you arrive. If not, you will probably find some of at the place across the street.

Thanks for the info nichi and kris!

Hs anyone ever taken the bus from Cancun to Chetumal/bus to Corozal?  We are flying in to Cancun then bussing down, was wondering if anyone else has done this as well.

many have done this because it is so much less expensive.  I have not.  Corozal Dave who often posts on these blogs, provided some directions about how to get from the airport to the bus terminal etc.  So, I know it can be done.  plz call when you get here.

Thanks to all who responded. we are sure to check it out as best as we can.  Brigitte, is there an Ex Pat spot or designated time of the week where they meet in San Ignacio /Belmopan?  The internet only revealed Carmelita Gardens when searching for expat communities.

Also if anyone has international banking experience they recommend it also would be appreciated, as on here only HSBC Panama comes up?

teamheisler, I've responded to your PM, you now have the info you need.

Dave - i am doing the same, bus Cancun to Chetamul on Nov 7-12.  would you mind copy me your info?  thankyou D

You have Private Mail :-)

Brownie6244,
There is a get together, and it used to be on the third Thursday of the month at the Aguada in Santa Elena.
We are with Atlantic Bank. Other than a few technical glitches, we've not had any problems. Wiring funds to Belize is easy. We pay our bills online, are able to do third party transfers, and we can use our ATM card at all banks in Belize.

Hi everybody. I wish i would have read this post a bit sooner but, no biggie.I decided to take the trip down here alone and explore.  I took the trip from cancun which was quite cut and dry. Just took the ado bus  to chetumal and stayed in a hotel for the night this a bus to corozal, they had me pay that stupid exit fee crap.I rented a place for the month @ sea breeze . Seems like a nice safe home base . Gwen and Beverley are good hosts . Being right on the water seems priceless. Working out perfectly , some expats i know were comming back from chetumal . They swooped me up. I stayed in Roaring Creek for the night and in the morning and went to Belmopan and bought myself a motorcycle. I stayed in San Ignacio for the next two nights in a hotel called the hi- et for 12.50 usd a night. They had wifi which was all i cared about. San Ig is nice ,but its super busy crowded and partys all night. ( in town), that's exactly the same that I am trying to get away from. Quite hot there too. Like Corozal Dave said, that ocean breeze is a life saver, plus you can always jump in. I find myself taking many cool showers . I found out the hard way youMUST drink lots of water!!! 
When i come back through, i look forward and would love to hang out with you all who are there. Ive copied the schedule down . Any PMs are much appreciated. Being that i am just winging this whole trip, not sure when i am comming back . I had planned to go to hopkins and possibly placencia for the next couple of days. I wish you all well!   :-)

HEY GEORGE, IM COMMING DOWN THERE ABOUT MID OCT OR SO.. IM A SINGLE RETIREE ALSO.. CAN U TELL ME THE PRICES OF APTS DOWN THERE IF U KNOW.. OR IS ROOMS A LIL BIT LESS EXPENSIVE?? IM LOOKING TO COME TO  COROZAL.. AND TRY TO LIVE THERE AFTER I SEE WHATS GOING ON THERE.... MY NAME IS RON.. TKS

Hi texasron,

Can you please avoid posting in the caps lock, this might make your post easy to read.

Regards,

David.

scottemmert wrote:

San Ig is nice ,but its super busy crowded and partys all night. ( in town), that's exactly the same that I am trying to get away from.

You showed up at the beginning of September celebration, lol.  Craziest time of year -- this is Mardi Gras to the locals.

[Moderated]

Hi Dave,
We have been reading these posts for a few months and will be visiting next month and staying until May.  We are also flying into Cancun and were hoping for your advice as well for busing into Corozal.  We still haven't finalized a place to stay, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Mark and Jodi

gottagetout, you have a private message waiting for you :)  I didn't address a place to stay in Corozal as I'm not sure about your budget and preferences?
Before our house was finished both my wife and my favorite place is the Almond Tree Resort - almondtreeresort.com it is the most beautiful place to stay in Corozal.  If you would like a more budget friendly place,but still very nice I'd recommend is The Copa Banana - copabanana.bz, it is just up the street from Almond Tree, plus Connie's husband owns Belize North Real Estate, so he could show you some places for sale.  If you want to be right in town and want a much more cost effect place there is always the Sea Breeze Hotel - theseabreezehotel.com/  These are a few varied choices, I will admit to being friends with all three.
I didn't mention the old stand bye Tony's Inn.  It was once the best place in town and I stayed well over 100 nights at this place and was good friends with Tony before he passed. His wife and daughters continue to run the hotel and I remain friends with them.  Unfortunately they have not updated the rooms.  In my opinion, you just don't get the value for your money. I do recommend the Ynot Bar and Restaurant, nice views, really good food but very expensive compared to other places, but a nice treat for a night out.
Last place I'll talk about is Serenity Sands - serenitysands.com home.  It is a really beautiful place, and all about ecology.  Penny has done an amazing job of decorating, the rooms are super nice and she makes a fantastic breakfast. They are my friends and neighbours, so this place is located between Corozal and Consejo, so you would need to rent a car or you would be kind of stuck.
Others will hopefully offer their ideas for other choices. Enjoy your trip.

Dave what's the chance you could come into town today?

Anybody recommend a realtor in Corozal, We are looking for a furnished apt. or small house in the area.

jerry reid wrote:

Anybody recommend a realtor in Corozal, We are looking for a furnished apt. or small house in the area.

Many of my friends have been successful using Charlotte Lanore.   She has found some great place in Corozal.    You can reach her at. Charbelize. At Yahoo.  Dot. Com. 

Best of luck!

Thanks Cathiekl I really appreciate that , I will contact her tonight.

4evrHawk wrote:

Dave what's the chance you could come into town today?

The chance is zero.  Right now I'm in Toronto, had to come back for my 3 month screening tests. I'm happy to say I passed once again and have been cancer free for 6 months.
I'm staying here for a few more weeks as I have some business to take care of as well as I'm enjoying the beautiful fall weather and the trees changing colours.
Ask me again in November :-) My flight is booked and by then it will be getting cold here.  But I'll have to fly back again to Toronto in December for my next screening.  It's every 3 months for 2 years, then every 6 months for 2 years.
Nothing against Belize, but I want to have access to the best hospitals, doctors and treatments as losing this battle was not an option.
So lets meet up in November.

Hello New Friends...I've secured a month rental in Consejo Shores starting April 1st. I've visited Belize before but this will be my first trip North. Reading this Blog site has been very helpful...so thank you to all poster's for the advice and news.

I do have a couple of quick question and I'm hoping for responses..

Are there any problems getting a taxi to come to Consejo for tbe ride back to Corozal?

From California the airfare difference to fly to Cancun vs Belize City is under $200.00...the last bus leg from Cancun to Corozal while  reasonable appears time consuming vs the bus from Belize City to Corozal. Does anyone have feedback to share?

Best Regards and Thanks...BravoBill