Getting a phone for use in Bahrain

Hi all!

I will be moving to Manama in a little over a month. I will need to get a new cell phone (mine is not GSM compatible). As far as purchasing a phone, should I bring one over from the US or purchase one in Bahrain? What are the pros/cons? What kinds of phones have you found to work best?

Thank you!

There is a fair selection of phones available here in Bahrain. Prices range from a few dinars (the local currency) to hundreds of dinars depending on model and functionality. Buying a set here would mean that you are covered by local warranties and hence any defects and issues can be sorted out locally.

You could bring a phone along with you and it may work. If you were to face issues with your phone, you may not be able to get it sorted out locally. I am not sure if there are any technical reasons why phones brought in from the US may not work here. Techies please help with this ...

Local telecom companies usually have offers - you sign up for a one year contract with them, and they would include a telephone with the package. Think of this option as well.

Good luck!

If your phone is not GSM compatible (although this is surprising - what is your phone? Just curious) then you should sell it over there and buy one over here. Prices are about the same if not a bit more expensive but not much. All phones on sale here work ok, I guess the decision for you to select your phone depends on your preferences, expectations from a phone (do you want it just to make a call or more like a smartphone) and of course your budget.

I use VIVA here as my GSM network and I am pretty pleased with them. They have got pretty good packages if you want to sign up for a contract.

Thank you for your reply! I hadn't considered the benefits of having a the tech support/warranty that is likely to come with a phone provided by a contract.

Thanks!! I have an old LG enV3 - it doesn't take a regular SIM card, let alone a GSM card. I think it's about 4 years old at the moment... but I know for sure it doesn't work outside of the US!

Most phones can be "chipped" to work on any network.

Warranties here aren't very good. No replace or refund, they will send off for repair and leave you without.

I bought the Samsung Note II and I use it on Batelco. If you get a Blackberry then Batelco offer unlimited data plan for BD11 a month which is really good.

If you get a phone on contract instead of prepay there are things you need to be aware of:

1. You have to always stay in credit and pay your bills on time (or else)

2. If your phone is stolen and someone else runs up a bill then you have to pay it

3. If you leave Bahrain you have to pay your bill in full up to the end of your contract.

My suggestion is buy a phone here, get a good prepay package (will need CPR or Passport) and off you go.

Don't think you will get anything for your old phone but bring it, see if it can be chipped at the Souq and keep it as a spare

Thanks Josnuggles,

So... if I get a contract and leave for a month to visit my family or want to travel for a week, I will have to pay through until the end of my contract before I can leave Bahrain?

Also, if I were to get a plan with a contract (mostly for data) would I be able to supplement that with prepaid?

Thanks again ...

No, what she means is if you leave the country for good, then you need to settle your bills before you move out. Of course you don't have to clear your bills if you are going for a short break. Even if your due date comes while you are outside the country, you still can pay it using their websites and your Credit / Charge / Debit Card.

Contracts usually have unlimited data attached to them. What you will see is they will advertise X GB unlimited data, which means up until you consume that X GB data, the connection will be fast, after that it will still work but a bit slower.

Thanks for the clarification Brightonguy :D

I use Batelco and pay BD11 for unlimited internet/data for the month on a Blackberry.

I pay BD3 for 3GB on any other smartphone per month.

yeah ! :| nobody offering CDMA services here in the Kingdom ,
only GSM base .
:D yes u can bring any sim base phone from the USA , if its At&T contract  iphone , purchased before 26 January -2013 , u can use any sim and it will be factory unlocked for rest of the world  , you need to pay one time fee 3$ only . yohoo , ;)

birghtnoguy & Josnuggles << :one

esmoake wrote:

Hi all!

I will be moving to Manama in a little over a month. I will need to get a new cell phone (mine is not GSM compatible). As far as purchasing a phone, should I bring one over from the US or purchase one in Bahrain? What are the pros/cons? What kinds of phones have you found to work best?

Thank you!