Buying furniture in Singapore...

hello ello...

i am moving to singapore soon and need to buy furniture.

i am sick of ikea furniture; nice but doesnt last.

other furniture stores have high mark ups.

anyone can recommend quality furniture at worthy pricing?

In Singapore, you have the choice of very cheap, but awful (in quality and design) furniture at the usual neighbourhood shops, Indonesian (fake antique) teak furniture in similarly bad quality (but not as cheap), Chinese antiques of sometimes dubious origin and not always original (but always costly), expensive (mostly European) designer furniture, and somewhere inbetween (and in my opinion the only value-for-money option, if one isn't an antique collector) is Ikea.
There is a reason Ikea is so pervasive: It is, for the average user, the best option!

There must come a time when we "graduate" from Ikea :)

I do think there is something in between IKEA and top designer brands, which is designer-looking furniture but not as expensive. Might not be as cheap as IKEA though but like you said, it is "nice but doesnt last." I think we do want more choices other than IKEA after a while.

I will recommend you to check out justenjoylife.com. Personally bought from them before and I think it is a good choice if you don't want IKEA yet find the designer labels way too expensive.

There is a new furniture store at JEM shopping mall. Saw my friends' pictures on Instagram. Seems quite nice. Going to check out the place! (don't know their prices yet)

I agree! We should move away from ikea. It's a novelty to fix ur pieces together for the first time. It's sick if u do it all the time.

Thanks cguohan! What u suggested is a good site for a start! Exactly what I am looking for. Enough for my relocation to Singapore with a sofa, table n some chairs.

Can u share more about ur buying experience with them?

(Ps: I will pass Jem. No time to shop around and I am sort of imagining how expensive it's gg to be!)

I bought a sofa and two chairs from there. It's an online furniture store. I think I usually won't buy furniture online but my case was a little special.

I figured I don't really have time to shop around for furniture once I reach Singapore. Plus I needed to get the furniture to do up my place as soon as possible. So I decided to give it a try.

The experience has been pretty good. It's just like shopping for clothes online. They deliver on time and the products were like what they wrote on the site.

When are you relocating to Singapore?

There is shop call Kingston Furniture at Midview City, a cluster of flatted factories somewhere near Bishan and Ang Mo Kio.  They have wide range of furniture in this showroom.  The prices here is cheaper then Courts.  I don't know the buses that get you there so getting there by cab is probably a wise choice.

Thanks Cody. I went there and was quite disappointed by their quality and level of service. I wanted to bitch about it here, but I gonna give it a pass to not keep dwelling on it (very bad experience not expected in Singapore, but I guess I should have expected that such could happen. Unfortunately the sales man is probably from my motherland).

Anyway, I end up buying from Just Enjoy Life; 1 sofa, 1 coffee table and 2 dining chairs. Just enough for my soho unit. Things are coming in 2 weeks time per my request, and when I settle in Singapore. Good thing is that they carry ex-stock. No more sitting on the floor for weeks, like what happened to me when I relocate to Australia 4 years back.

And yes, cguohan. You r totally right. Purchasing online saves a lot of time scoping around. I should have know better from my from my previous relocation when it is so hard to get furnitures. In 2 weeks time, I will be here in Singapore, and just 1 day of cold floor before my loveseat arrives.

Hi gsmini

oh wow haha maybe justenjoylife.com should pay me a commission then. Glad that you managed to find the furniture you want to buy from there.

What's ex-stock? Existing stock? Yes they are pretty on time with their delivery. Other online stores take 2-3 months (maybe longer) so I didn't buy from those places.

Hope you enjoy your new life in Singapore!

I haven't visit here for long. Sorry for the late reply! Yes, ex-stock means existing stock.

Thank you for your well wishes. Particularly on your introduction!

[moderated message: no advertising on the forum please]