Are People Still Being Rejected Visas Because of Their Names?

Hi all, I've been reading up on the Bahrain forum about work visas being rejected just because of someone's name?! As odd as it is, just wondering if it is still happening? My husband got an offer from a university in Bahrain and his first name is Ali. We are Canadian Muslims but have no care about sunni/shia issues. I really hope there won't be any problems :(

Yes some people do get rejected, but I don't think a Canadian passport will be an issue.

Not to worry too much. There are so many people named "Ali" and "Hussain", etc, who have been successful in getting their visas and work permits. In fact there is one gentleman whose name is "Ali Hussain Mohammed" and he had absolutely no problem with his visa.

A number of factors also play a part in the success or failure of a visa application. Professional and academic postings are not treated the same way as unskilled/semi-skilled jobs. And like brightonguy said, Western passport would not have too much of a problem too. The few cases that get rejected are probably on some sort of watch list for other reasons. And some are just plain unlucky.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the reassurance brightonguy and Farhaz

You're welcome. Let us know if you need any further help.