Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Boa tarde,

Meu noivo é americano, foi casado e seu divórcio saiu em 2013. Para casarmos no Brasil ele tem que averbar esse divórcio no STJ? Consultei alguns advogados pela internet e eles me informaram que não precisa ir ao STJ já que ele é americano e a ex americana, e que isso era para brasileiros divorciados de estrangeiros. O problema é no cartório que iremos casar pede essa carta de sentença do STJ, não sei o que fazer. Ah, outra dúvida irei dar entrada por procuração no cartório já que ele só virá para o casamento, que será religioso com efeito civil, como seria o modelo dessa procuração pra eu dar entrada? Você teria algum site pra me indicar? Desde já agradeço.

Hello Talita Ines,

You are posting to the English language version of the Expat-blog Brazil Forum. Out of consideration for all of our members would you kindly post in ENGLISH ONLY here.

If you wish to post to the Portuguese language version of the forum you may access it by clicking on the flag icon in the green banner at the top of this page and selecting Portuguese from the drop-down menu.

To answer your question regarding your future husband's divorce order; he must produce either a Certificate of Divorce (issued by the Court which granted it and this must contain a 'raised seal") this must be authenticated by either the US State Department (if done in the USA) or by the US Embassy (if done in Brazil) and must also be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil which has jurisdiction over the city where he resides in the USA.

Alternatively, he may submit the Divorce Decree, itself for the same process, however it must also undergo "homologação da sentença de divorcio estrangeiro" in the STJ as you have already been informed by the Cartório. The lawyer who advised you is absolutely wrong on this issue, the homolgação is absolutely necessary. The Divorce Decree route is by far the easiest to go.

Note that all documents submitted that are not originally in Portuguese must also be translated by a "tradutor juramentado" here in Brazil.

Regarding the Power of Attorney "procuração" to apply for "habilitação de casamento" and start the process in your future husband's absence you will need to contact the Cartório and ask them to provide you with a model of the procuração which will be acceptable to them.

James     Expat-blog Experts Team

I am trying to figure out the best way to proceed and I’m hoping for some guidance.

I am seriously considering asking my Brazilian boyfriend to marry me. We’ve been long distance for number of years and I really want to take it to the next level. Of course one of the biggest complications is work. Both his and mine. He currently is in school and works full time in Salvador. I work in Miami. My company is moving into Brazil and I’ve had one potential transfer off to Sao Paulo but since I don’t have a work visa, and can’t get one in the time the business needs, so this position won’t work out. Moving foreward either I have to wait until they can get me a work visa or I can get married, see my baby more and move closer. But until there’s the right position available in Brazil I’m not sure when that would be…

So my questions so far are…

Assuming getting married in the US.
- How long after marriage will I provisionally be able to work?
- Can he register the marriage in Brazil (with all certifications from the consulate etc etc) without me? (Questions about drop in visits and I know I would need to make an appt within 90(?) days)
- Does it make sense to get married as soon as possible and not pursue the work papers right away until I get an opportunity to work there (build a timeline of being married) ?
- I’m concerned that, until I could move there, I would still need to be here (Miami) and him there (Salvador) until I can get to Brazil
- I’m also concerned that even when I get to Brazil I’m sure we would have to live separately -- until either my company opens in Salvador (possible in a completely undetermined timeline) or until he is done with school and could hopefully transfer to Sao Paulo. I would most likely list our home address being in Salvador as I would likely just rent a room in Sao Paulo.

Before I move ahead I want to have a good solid plan both due to expense flying back and forth and the possible snafus of Brazilian bureaucracy.

Any and all advice and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Hi philmoto85,

First of all, and please don't take me wrong, you've got to make sure that there is a real relationship there and that the marriage would be for all the right reasons. I've seen far too many in exactly your position who have married only to find out that it was purely based on their money and the marriage ended quickly and disastrously. They've essentially been duped into marriage by a gold-digger pure and simple. Since same-sex marriage has been legal in Brazil the figures show that this is happening at a much more alarming rate than it ever did with heterosexual marriages. I know from personal experience all about this since I've helped a number of expats marry here.

Assuming that there is then under the new permanency process here in Brazil, provided you have all the paperwork present and in order, it's much quicker for you to marry here in Brazil and obtain permanency than ever before. The marriage process itself still takes a bit over one month as it did before, but now you apply for permanency, register in the RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros) and apply for your civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) all at the same time. If your paperwork is ok, then you are granted permanency immediately. With that (when based either on marriage or on having a Brazilian child) comes the automatic right to obtain your work permit and to work in Brazil. Also (unless you actually do have a criminal record) when marrying a Brazilian citizen a simple sworn declaration (Declaração Sob Pena de Lei de Não Condenação) takes the place of having to go to all the trouble of obtaining an FBI criminal record check.

Marrying there is also going to take time, necessitate registering the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Miami AND with either the 1º Oficio do Registro Civil in Brasília or in the city where the couple will reside. Applying for the permanent visa abroad is still going to take about 3 months and you would not be able to enter Brazil UNTIL IT IS ISSUED, not even on another category of visa. (Big disadvantage)

Also once you obtain permanency you have the right to be outside of Brazil for up to 2 years, before you would lose permanent resident status unless there were circumstances beyond your control.

So, all told it is probably much to your advantage to marry here and take advantage of the job opportunity that's being offered to you if you can round up all the necessary paperwork in time to do that.

James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

Thanks for your concern. I know exactly what you mean. I think my boo is like the anti-gold digger. lol. He is very independent and never asks my help for anything. I had to twist his arm to find out what he wanted for a christmas present. But trust me... I know....

That being said. In follow up to your response, and to be crystal clear.
- If I married in Brazil, would the work permit be available immediately when I apply or immediately at the end of the one month marriage process.
- And would I need to be in country the whole 'month' of the marriage process?

I guess that's my conundrum. If I have a definite position, doing it in Brazil makes more sense. If I'm waiting for a position it might make more sense to do it in the US even with the inability to travel down for three months.

On a side note I was thinking of applying for a CPF now. but I believe the process takes 4-8 weeks in the US. In Brazil how fast could I get a CPF? It might make more sense to wait on that as well

Again thanks for all your excellent guidance. I can't begin to express how appreciative I am.


Hi Philippe,

First off, no you don't need to remain in Brazil for the month following the application at the Cartório for "habilitação de casamento" (permission to marry), but you have to be sure to be back for the wedding date, unless you arrange with the Cartório at the time for a proxy marriage (Casamento por Procuração) which is a lot of extra work for not much benefit.

Once you are legally married, then you can apply immediately for "permanência definitiva com base em cônjuge brasiliero(a)". Immediately upon making the application (if all the paperwork is in order) you are granted permanency and are registered in the RNE. You only wait for the civil ID card to be made up (they say 60 days but some wait longer some get theirs back sooner).

Immediately upon applying for permanency you have the automatic right to apply for the Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS (work permit) and begin working.

You're right, it's much better to apply for the CPF here in Brazil. You do that at the nearest office of the Receita Federal and it's issued on the spot. They no longer issue the plastic card, just give you the number. You can go to their website and print off a paper card with your CPF number and your name, it's able to be verified online by anyone who cares to do so.

If you have any further doubts or require additional information, just post here and I'll get to it ASAP.


HI \

Haseeb4u3 :

HI \

Welcome to the forum.

Could you please lower your caps lock when posting. It is considered to be rude posting in upper case and is the same as shouting at someone.
Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Haseeb4u3,

From posting #1 of this thread:

Documents Required for VIPER Permanent Visa Application

1.     Completed application form, signed by the applicant.

2.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's passport (ALL PAGES - even if blank) or equivalent travel document.

3.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's Entry Card.

4.     Certified Criminal Record Check / Police Conduct Certificate issued in country where you reside, may not be more than 90 days before sumbission or not considered valid. This document must also be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country of issue.

5.     2  3 cm X 4 cm color photographs of applicant (on white background) Note: sunglasses or eyeglasses which might reflect light/flash must not be worn in these photos

6.     International certificate of vaccination (if requested)

7.     Clear and legible Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (if requested) or Marriage Certificate in the case of married women.

8.     Proof of address (in Brazil) - phone/electric/water bill

9.     Bank receipt for payment of visa fee (GRU - Guia de Recolhimento da União)

10.    Any other documents that may be requested by the Federal Police.

NOTE #1:  If you are required to provide any kind of DECLARATION, these must be have the signature of the declarant certified by the Cartório (Reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade - ONLY; note that there are two different kinds of "reconhecimento" so make sure you specify the right one, this is also the more expensive of the two types, the declarant must appear in person at the Cartório and produce identification).


Note that under the new process you will apply for permanency, register in the RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeir and apply for your civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) all at the same time so you need to do the online process for each of those through the Policia Federal website:

Apply for permanency: … -casamento

Register in RNE and request CIE: … -casamento

For more information regarding the new process of applying for permanency see the following topic thread:

James      Expat-blog Experts Team

             sorry  thanks for understanding ,

Don't forget even though you've registered the marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Islamabad you also must register it now that you're in Brazil with either the 1º Oficio de Registro Civil in Brasilia, or in the city where you reside. (your choice)

This is a very important step since that is what gives your marriage legal force in Brazil.


Dear james ,
Hope your doing good.

Could please tell me what are documents are required to apply for naturalization..


Hello Azar,

First of all for ordinary naturalization one must wait for 4 years from the time they obtain permanency to apply. This waiting period is reduced to one year if the applicant is married to a Brazilian citizen or has a Brazilian child. Also, naturalization is a process that is totally at the discretion of the government, it is not a right so it can be denied.

Translation of Ministry of Justice webpage for Ordinary Naturalization: … acao-comum

If the foreigner is interested in becoming a Brazilian citizen must meet the requirements outlined in Article 112 of Law No. 6.815 / 80, and require this mode with the Federal Police Department nearest to the place of residence, which, in addition to other measures , certify that the person concerned can read and write the English language, considered their condition.


1. Application duly signed by foreign applicant;

2.Declaration of interest in translating or adapting the name to the Portuguese language (if applicable);

3.Consular Certificate registration issued by the Embassy or Consulate in Brazil, proving the correct spelling of the name of the person concerned and their parents.

4.Copy of the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (CIE) in Permanent category (updated);

5.Copy of CPF or copy of the deposit slip of the last income tax return (individuals);

6.Proof of fee payment (GRU) for the application for naturalization;

7. Certificate of criminal records issued by the Civil Police of the States where he lived the last five years;

8. Negative certificate of criminal actions of the Federal Court of the States where he lived the last five years;

9.Certificate of criminal actions distribution registries of counties where he lived the last five years;

10.Certified  criminal record check issued by the country of origin, legalized by the Brazilian consulate and translated in Brazil by public translator Sworn or duly registered with the Commercial Registry;

11. Proof of residence, such as water bills or power or telephone as well as through lease or deed of sale of property which he resides or resided in the period immediately preceding the application for naturalization, or parent or spouse or partner, accompanied respectively of the birth certificate or marriage or proof of marriage;

12.Copy  in full passport, observing the rules governing Mercosur;

13.Copy of the marriage certificate (if married to Brazilian);

14.Copy of the birth certificate of the Brazilian child (if parent of a Brazilian child);


15.A: When employed in CLT system: certified copy in full of the labor card - CTPS or certified copy of the employment contract; certified copy of the last three pay stubs;

15.B: When entrepreneurs: certified copy of the consolidated Social Contract, if applicable, the company which is a partner or shareholder and Scripture Public Income Declaratory drawn up in notary public notes;

15.c: When autonomous: certified copy of the Tax on Services Card - ISS, as well as proof of your gathering or RPA (a standalone payment Receipt) and Deed Income Declaratory drawn up in notary public notes;

Please note that although it is not indicated on this list you will be required to pass a test of fluency in the Portuguese language, and you must also submit a sworn declaration of any absences from Brazil in the year prior to applying for naturalization.

James     Expat-blog Experts Team

hi james
              Thanks for your all information,i want to know that i have to translate my all documents in portuguese ?my marriage certificate my police certificate and my birth certificate all documents must be translated in portuguese ,and if yes so can you guide me from where we have to translate these documents thanks ,?


Yes, all documents you mentioned that are not originally in Portuguese MUST be translated here in Brazil by a "tradutor juramentado". (Sworn translator)

You will be able to find a listing of them either on Google for your city in Brazil, or perhaps your Consulate here in Brazil can provide you with a list. Note: You don't need to translate your passport.


       thanks you so much for your information ,


I appreciate your assistance. Please update it, if any changes are made. :-)

Hey James.

I've been reading over this particular thread today. And I was thinking about the contradictory information in the original post vs the new processes after Sept 1 2014. Just wondering if there's a way to either update, tag or somehow edit the original post (in case that's the first post someone searching sees). In my own case the new lack of home visits and the immediate issuing of permanency (assuming all papers are in order of course ;-) is a big deal. Seeing the original post, then, is a bit confusing.

I'm not sure technically (in the editing functions of the website) if it's possible to do any of these things but I thought I'd bubble it up.

Thank you again for all your incredible work. It really is truly invaluable and for every one that posts I'm sure there are dozens who also benefit. Every time I come on here I have the impulse that I want to send you boxes of brigadeiro or flowers or crates of pao de queijo... LOL.

Duas preguntas tambem ;-)

As I'm reading through everything, it seems as if each consulate in the US can only legalize documents in their own region. That would mean although I live in Miami, I would need to send my Minnesota birth certificate to Chicago (which covers the upper mid west of the US) for legalization. (as opposed to legalization of document in Miami.) Does that sound right.

In documenting single status, in the US, doe that have to be certified in someway by the State Dept?? or Is just a notarize affidavit/declaration then legalized by the consulate sufficient?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly update the first posting on this topic thread to include a link to the new procedures.

Regarding legalization of documents by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil, I believe that it depends on the jurisdiction where you live. (i.e. if you live in Miami you deal with the Miami Consulado exclusively.) I believe that they will legalize documents that have been issued anywhere in the USA, it just depends on the applicant residing within their jurisdiction. Won't hurt to give them a call or send an e-mail to confirm this though.

Actually about the single certificate, if you're going to get married in Brazil it's probably much more expedient to have the US Embassy here simply write a letter confirming that you're single. That's what many of your fellow Americans do here, since I understand that such a "certificate" does not even exist in some states. It appears that the authorities here are quite satisfied with that.

While I love brigadeiros and pão de queijo, they're not necessary. Just the fact that you've expressed your appreciation is enough to make my day!


Another question. If the permanent visa is given right away is there the same -- cannot be out of the country for more than 90 days -- or is it you have to return every two years to keep permanency?

But brigadeiros and pão de queijo never hurt 😉 lol

Thanks again. I'm going to email the consulate here.

Hi again Phil,

No problem, once you've got that (not so gorgeous) little stamp in your passport then you're able to be outside of Brazil for up to two years before you would lose permanent resident status. The 90 day rule now only applies for other types of applications, or ones that revert to the old system due to problems with documentation. Also, to my knowledge there is NO MINIMUM stay in order to reset the clock. They just base their count on exit and entry stamps, so if you come back to Brazil within 2 years of you last departure date, you're good to go!

I would however recommend that once you apply for permanency you remain in Brazil for the 60 days or so that it will take them to make up your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro. While they are required to hold on to it until its expiry date, if you wait to long to pick it up (which must be done in person) there is a chance it could get misplaced in larger DPF Delegacias.

Regarding the pão de queijo, if you ever find yourself in Macaé, we'll get together for coffee and pão de queijo... you can take that to the bank!



My fiancee needs to do a public proxy to send to Consulate, but he said that in US don't have a place that to do it. Has someone that knows about it?


Hi Talita,

Sorry, I'm not clear on exactly what you mean. Are you talking about a "Procuração Publico"???

That is just a Power of Attorney, which he can have his lawyer or a Notary Public do for him. Does it need to be in Portuguese?


Hi James,

Does it have to be typed up by a public official or does the document just have to be notarized by a public notary? My fiancee said that the Notary doesn't do it. Yes, it is a Procuração Pública for wedding.

To get the correct format, it really should be typed up by the lawyer or notary. Any decent lawyer will know what's needed.

Thanks so much, James!

Yeah James is wonderful I owe you if I make it to my wedding

Hey there
I am recently Married to my Brazilian wife in South Africa (south African National)
We just registered the marriage in Brazil through the consul here , very smoothly
they are super helpful and it has all been very easy so far

This week my documents will go off for the permanent residence visa , which the consul women says takes about 2 months and she's never seen rejected with a clean record
Also we are very organized and our documentation is impeccable

Once we get to Brazil from what I understand we then have to register the PR (or RP ;) in Brazil
do you think I am in for federal police nightmares once in Brazil with Bureaucracy or do you think from then things will go smoothly because the groundwork is done?

I speak a good intermediate Portugues , can understand most things and communicate day to day stuff , and more complex if the mood strikes me ......
also been all over Brazil and been around a lot of Brazilian expats here , have a good understanding
as well as also coming from a very crazy developing world country.....I often found Brazilian institutions quite efficient and fast compared to what I am accustomed to here

Hi Steve,

No you'll find that under the new procedures for permanency brought in on September 1, 2014 that it will be as much of a piece of cake as registering the marriage in South Africa.

Do you already have a VITUR Tourist Visa for Brazil? If so I would recommend that you don't apply for the VIPER in South Africa, but rather come here to Brazil on the VITUR and make your application for "Permanência Definitiva com base em cônjuge brasileira" here in Brazil. The great advantage of that is if all those impeccable documents are present and in order you are granted permanency ON THE SPOT, you register in the RNE (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro) and apply for the civil ID (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) all at the same time. Your passport gets stamped "Registrado como Permanente", you do not have to leave Brazil, you also have the automatic right to obtain your work permit (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS) and to work immediately. Waiting 2 - 3 months while you get the VIPER through the Consulado really doesn't make a whole lot of sense anymore. (It used to under the old system because it used to take 2 years or more to get permanency if you applied here in Brazil - all that is now just a bad memory)

For more information about applying for permanency here in Brazil see the following topic thread:

Also, one very important thing... even though the marriage has been registered with the Consulado in SA, you ALSO must register the marriage here in Brazil with the 1° Oficio de Registro Civil (either in Brasília or the city where you will reside). It should be done BEFORE you apply for permanency here and it will probably be much easier to do in the city where you'll be living not in Brasília. Also you should apply for permanency during the first 180 days following your arrival, but don't worry if you don't because once married the Federal Police MUST accept your application even if your visa stay has expired, by virtue of the marriage.

Hope this answers a lot of questions for you and facilitates the process.

Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James thanks for that

Yes I am aware that the need to register the marriage in brazil on arrival

Not really sure about the VITUR visa you talk about , as a South African I get 3 months automatically when I enter the country
I was advised at the consul to submit all documents here as no translation is required -would I need all the documents translated and notarized in Brazil , as submitting it here It all happens free and automatically at the consul
and also have only been planning to go to Move to Brazil in 3 months anyway
but thanks for the advice , it is very good to know


Hi Steve,

Oops, guess I should have checked the list of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries before posting... getting old and forgetful.  :D

Well, you've managed to teach me something that I didn't know before about the Marriage Certificate not needing to be translated if registering at a Consulado-Geral abroad. That's going to help me greatly in assisting and advising other members and I can't begin to thank you enough for that choice bit of information. Does that also apply to the other documents for the process (Birth Certificate, etc.) or do those still require translation?

It does change my advice to you slightly. If you don't have any particular timeline then yes, by all means, apply for the VIPER Permanent Visa there in SA. Waiting a couple of months to have it in hand is really no "biggie". Just remember that once you have applied you can't enter Brazil until it has been issued, not even under the VWP. I can't for the life of me understand the necessity or logic of this rule, but what the heck do any of Brazil's rules really make sense???

If you really intend to make the move here as quickly as possible then, just come here with your VWP passport as a tourist and apply here. By virtue of the marriage once you're here, you're here for keeps. You apply and get permanency granted immediately, register in the RNE and the only thing you'll need to wait for will be the identity card (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro). The Federal Police say that will take 60 days, but some get it back sooner and others later. (it appears to be just a roll of the dice)

If you do end up applying for the visa there, you're still going to have to register in the RNE and apply for the identity card once you get here anyway, so it's really six of one and half dozen of the other.

Hearing your comment that the consular staff were super helpful and things went smoothly is a very pleasant surprise to me. I've heard lots of complaints to the contrary about many Consulates... so that scores big points and bears real consideration on your part, because while the new procedures here have really improved things and sped up the whole process, depending on where you apply and the volume of applications the particular delegacy has you may not find them quite so congenial some places here in Brazil. For the most part however the Federal Police here are really helpful too.

Either way you ultimately choose to do it the process will be much simpler and painless than it was in the past. That collective sigh of relief you are hearing comes from all the expats who no longer have to face the bureaucratic nightmare and endless waits that were involved in the old system.


Zero translations of any documents are required from my side - Birth , marriage , criminal record
I was also suprised
I can't speak for other consuls but that was the procedure here in Cape Town
The lady there is an expat Brazilian married to South African and very helpful and understanding

Also one thing you could really advise me on are what of the terms of the visa with regards to movement both inside and outside of Brazil

As we intend to arrive , sort out consular stuff in Campinas and SP then check out one or two places for opportunities.....will I be tied to one area or cartorio for any length of time

Also once I am settled there are have all the documents are there any restrictions on me leaving the country or time spent outside of it that render the visa null and void


Hi Steve,

Once you are granted permanency there are very few restrictions on your mobility. You should remain in the area where you apply for permanency until at least you've received the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro, merely not to delay in getting it in hand. They say around 60 days, so they say. Sometimes yes, sometimes no... just like Brazil.

Once you've got that little gem in hand you can be outside of Brazil for up to two years before you lose permanent status (except for circumstances beyond your control, such as being hospitalized). To my knowledge there is no MINIMUM time you need to be back inside Brazil to reset the clock, so to speak. Many permanent residents come back for a few days every two years just to maintain permanency.

The CIE will allow you to enter all other South American countries for the purpose of tourism without the necessity of a visa. While you will have to carry your passport with you since you're leaving Brazil, it's quite unlikely that they're even going to want to see it when you arrive in another South American country and show them the CIE.

The only really important thing to remember is that you are required by law to report any change of address to the Policia Federal within 30 days of any move. You will need two 3X4 color photos and some proof of the new address, such as a rental contract, utility bill, etc.

That's about it.


Hi Thanks for that

So to my understanding once I check in and register that side all applications are done the same day ,Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro , work book , cpf etc .....but I then have to wait to get the actual pysical document in hand?

Ps also with regards to changing adress , often as a new person in a new country it might be tricky or difficult to get bills and things in ones name....without employment etc
I mean I only started having these things in my name in SA after having my own company and been in my 30's
here we could just get a certified statement of adress at any decent police station, is it similar there
regards steve

Hi Steve,

No not exactly. The part about requesting permanency, registering in the RNE and applying for the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro is all done the same day in one process.

The CPF you apply for at the Receita Federal, they will give you the CPF number right away, which is your individual tax number like the Social Security number. The main difference is that unlike in the US it's anything but private, in fact your entire credit history in Brazil will be tied to that number. (Note: they do not give out the permanent plastic card anymore. They will give you the number and you can go to their website and print off a paper version that you can laminate)

The Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS is also a separate process, you need to apply for that at the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho in the city where you live (or the one that serves it if you live in a small city).

Dear James,

Bom Dia.

I am in Brazil. i am Happy to share with you that i have got Permanent Visa, and i will get my RNE in 40 days.

My process has been done very fast.

Can you share information if there is a store in Sao Paulo who sell Indian Groceries & Items.

Take Care

[Moderated : Off Topic]

Hi James

Could you please help me with a question? Sorry if I drag out a little here, but I really need to be sure of some things.

I'm a South African from Cape Town getting married to a Brazilian woman in Rio De Janeiro.

My fianceé's list from the registration office in São João de Meriti has four required documents on it for me to get in order for us to get married.

- Letter of impediment
- Police clearance
- Unabridged birth certificate
- My passport.

I read on one of your earlier posts that this long form birth certificate cannot be older than 6 months?

Mine was originally issued when I was 16 in 2004, so it's 11 years old.

However, I've been to the Brazilian consulate in Cape Town and they reckon they sign off documents once they are legalised and verified by the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO).

Now...finally, my question.

That six months: is it definitely from the original date of issue or can it be six months since it was verified as valid and stamped by the consulate in my country?

I have confirmation from DIRCO that it will be verified as valid.

I apologise for my long-winded approach, but this is a real concern for us as it takes a very long time to obtain a brand new copy of a long form birth certificate here (8 weeks). I'm afraid my police clearance will have expired by the time I am able to submit the documents to the consulate!

So that small detail is make or wait for us!

Please help!

New topic