Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Hi how can I find a good affordable sworn translator (tradutor jurimentado) to translate a simple document in the Campinas/Greater Sao Paulo area?

How much should such a service cost
my document is 3 pages , maybe 200 words in total

Regards Steve

Check out the listings on Google and shop around for prices.

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=Trad … T4AdP_mIAM

Translators generally charge a King's ransom

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello!

Please can you advice me James? My husband in Palestine got his tourist visa denied for Brazil, he showed 4 thousand dollars for staying 9 days, he showed air ticket, hotel, bank statements, proved hes an employed teacher in a public school, and he would travel at his vacations. They took 40 days to call him for an interview and ask about his bank statements, the consuler said "you own only that?" Then next week they called him and refused his visa. Then to apply and try again they require 6 months waiting, what consulate in earth asks that long!? Even when I went to Canada I showed 3000 dollars for staying one month and they allowed me!

Then he called them again and told them he has a wife here, they said he should had told them before and made things harder.

Any advices you can give me pls :'(

Hi Isabel,

First of all, where and when did the marriage take place? If the marriage was celebrated abroad, did YOU register the foreign marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in that country?

Unfortunately Consulates, and their various visa issuing officers, have pretty much total discretion when it comes to whether or not to issue a visa, how long it will be valid for, they can impose any conditions that they desire, and it's all perfectly legal.

If your marriage was celebrated here in Brazil, or if it was celebrated abroad and duly REGISTERED with the Consulado-Geral, then I would suggest that your husband simply apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa (com base em cônjuge brasileira) at the Consulado and wait for it to be issued. Marriage changes the whole ball game! Whether the Consulado and/or the visa issuing officer likes the idea or not, Art. 226 of the Constitution of the Federative Republic of Brazil of 1988 provides special protection to the "family unit" and that means your husband has an undeniable constitutional right to permanency in Brazil by virtue of marriage to a Brazilian citizen. Provided that he submits all of the required documents for the application, I cannot see any circumstances under which his application could be denied, short of having an extensive criminal record.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

The marriage happened in Brazil, when he came in the last year for fifa world cup. He doesn't own any criminal records.

I called some lawyers and they told me that to apply as permanent from his country would be complicated and isnt recommended, that its better to use a lawyer to come as a tourist and apply for permanent here only. Because I dont totaly trust them Im confused what to do (since there's money envolved).

So they are forced by law to give him that permanent, really? The documents are specific but the lawyers said as if we needed to gather prooves that he's a good person and deserves to come since that tourist visa failed, like if we didn't have that marriage visa garanted by law... I don't know if they are trying to cheat that's why I'm asking you

Hi Isabel,

While it's true, with the new procedures here in Brazil since Sept. 1, 2014, that it's easier and quicker to obtain permanency when applying in Brazil everything else is exactly the same regardless of where one applies. It may take slightly longer for him to obtain the permanent visa if he applies in his home country than it would if he applied here, but if he can't get a VITUR Tourist Visa and they won't let him apply for another one for 6 months he really has nothing to lose by trying for a VIPER Permanent Visa. Usually when applying abroad the time frame for receiving the visa is from 3 to 6 months from the time the application is made.

I don't see why the lawyers you spoke to think that it would be any more difficult for him to receive the VIPER Permanent Visa from a Consulado abroad, than it would be if he applied here in Brazil. The laws are exactly the same, the documents required are exactly the same and the rules that they must follow don't change from here to there. I'm getting the impression that the lawyers you've talked to want him to come here so they can convince you that he should use their services to apply for permanency, when in fact it's so simple now that most people can sucessfully do it all themselves without any assistance.

Cheers,

yes you are right, maybe they want to convince us to be helped in the permanent proccess here, coz some said its hard to do a permanent visa here without a lawyer.

But I called the consulate in palestine and asked how much it has taken to proccess a permanent visa there, they said the same as tourist, from 3 to 4 weeks. Our only fear is to be denied again and having to wait for another 6 months!

Do you recomend us to use a lawyer to try a permanent visa abroad?

Thank you very much may God bless you

Isabel,

I can assure you that if you're married (civil) here in Brazil, and your husband has no criminal convictions, that he will not be denied a VIPER Permanent Visa. The Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Palestine has absolutely no grounds on which to deny the visa otherwise.

They must follow ALL of the same laws, rules and regulations for issuing the visa as the Federal Police in Brazil do. Provided that all the required documents are presented and in good order he will certainly be granted the visa. He has a Constitutional right to permanency in Brazil, by virtue of marriage to a Brazilian citizen.

Cheers,

Thank you vry much James

Cheers

Incredible how Brazil thinks his a " big boy " already and can treat people that want to come here like this denying visas . And thinking how difficult is to make a living over here , I just can`t understand this bullshit ...

ClaudioD wrote:

Incredible how Brazil thinks his a " big boy " already and can treat people that want to come here like this denying visas . And thinking how difficult is to make a living over here , I just can`t understand this bullshit ...

Not that I'm person that ever defends the insanity of Brazil's policies...but denying someone with a Palestinian passport is not something just the "big boys" do. It's the unfortunate reality of a Palestinian passport. It's one of the worst ones to have when it comes to visiting countries.

I hope things work out for you Isabel. Sounds like you have a good chance by applying for the permanent visa.

Just as John Lennon used to say in his song "... Imagine there's no countries , nothing to kill or die for and no religion too . Imagine all the people living life in peace ..."  I think I'm one of those dreamers .

Hi steve! Please Steve can you tell me how I have to proceed to get my passport stamped for getting to Brazil.  I hold a South African passport too but Ihhaven't left the country for overseas.  I have read the requirements for applying for a visa on the brazilian embassy website,  my question is do we also visa free south African passport holders have to fill in all the requirements as those requesting for an entry visa?  Please direct me I have already received the invitation letter

So I bought a statuary of single status declaration online but says i have to appear before the notary in the states. Is there any way around this? Could I sign it in front of a Brazilian notary and send back to usa to get it legalized by the consulate of Brazil? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

Sorry to inform you, but you shouldn't have bought this form online.

If you're in Brazil already, the best thing to do is to go to a US consulate and they will draw up the single declaration for you. They will put a nice fancy stamp on it. This is usually enough to satisfy the cartorio, even if it's not legalized by the Brazilian consulate.

The sworn affidavit at the consulate costs 50 dollars.

Mbstanson wrote:

Hi Steve! Please Steve can you tell me how I have to proceed to get my passport stamped for getting to Brazil.  I hold a South African passport too but Haven't left the country for overseas.  I have read the requirements for applying for a visa on the Brazilian embassy website,  my question is do we also visa free south African passport holders have to fill in all the requirements as those requesting for an entry visa?  Please direct me I have already received the invitation letter

Regards
MB stanson

Mbstanson wrote:

Hi steve! Please Steve can you tell me how I have to proceed to get my passport stamped for getting to Brazil.  I hold a South African passport too but Ihhaven't left the country for overseas.  I have read the requirements for applying for a visa on the brazilian embassy website,  my question is do we also visa free south African passport holders have to fill in all the requirements as those requesting for an entry visa?  Please direct me I have already received the invitation letter

If you're planning on just visiting, you don't need a stamp in your passport before you leave South Africa. You'll get the stamp on arrival to Brazil.

stevefunk wrote:

Hi how can I find a good affordable sworn translator (tradutor jurimentado) to translate a simple document in the Campinas/Greater Sao Paulo area?

How much should such a service cost
my document is 3 pages , maybe 200 words in total

Regards Steve

Steve, if you're still looking for a tradutor jurimentado, send me a private message and I'll give you his information. Here in Campinas I used the same translator on two different occasions and he was very professional.

Please forgive me if this has already been answered. I did try to read all the posts, but there are many!

I have some confusion about document 4 in the list: "If you are single and never married before you need a Declaration from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in your home country) that you are single."

I am from the UK (marrying a Brazilian), and there are two different options open to me:

(1) a "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" which I need to go back to the UK and wait 30 days for! This appears to be the equivalent of the marriage permission application in Brazil (with the publication in the Diário Oficial da União). It confirms there are no objections to the *specific proposed marriage*.

(2) a "Letter of No Trace" which I don't need to go to the UK for, and only takes a couple of weeks to get. It just shows I am single and was *never before married* in the UK.

From what I have read here, the "Letter of No Trace" appears to be all I need, but frequently here and in other places too, I see the "Certificate of No Impediment" being mentioned. There seems to be some confusion, and as I am in Brazil at the moment, I really do not want to have to go back to the UK for a month to get this piece of paper.

If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be most appreciated, and thank you all (especially James) for such insanely useful information. Lets hope everything goes smoothly for my wedding!

Hello terry-t,

While I am not absolutely certain, I do believe that you are correct that the "Letter of No Trace" will be sufficient for the purposes of marriage in Brazil. I do know that US citizens only need a letter from their Embassy/Consulate here in Brazil that they are single, so you should be OK. I would add however, that if the document IS NOT issued by the British Embassy/Consulate here in Brazil, that you at least have them authenticate the document, just to cover all bases.

I have assisted several members from the UK through the marriage and subsequent permanency process, so perhaps one of them will reply here and give a definitive answer to your question.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Some help or input would be appreciated

So I went to the Cartorio to ask about the documents necessary to marry here in Brazil, being from the United states they asked for the legalized birth certificate which i have in my possession, the single status declaration which i went to Sao Paulo to obtain and proof of residence which they said has to be legalized in the consulate of Brazil in USA and passport. I went before to ask and went to the same location and today sent me to another Cartorio that had to be closer to her home. So we have to apply there, this Cartorio didn't accept the declaration from Sao Paulo saying it had to be legalized in the consulate of Brazil in USA. So do you guys think I can send that legalized form from the single status declaration to USA and have that legalized there in the consulate of Brazil in USA as well, or does it have to be made there and sworn there in my presence. Also about the proof of residence they are saying it also has to be legalized? doesn't my drivers license, passport prove that already? why does it have to be legalized? They said a water bill, or light bill but it would be in the name of my parents and my mothers last name is different from the birth certificate from the bills cause of her marriage, but my fathers is the same. Would that be a problem or do both have to be the same? Does anybody have similar experience or any advice on what i should do? Thanks ahead of time.

MGR BRAZIL wrote:

Some help or input would be appreciated

So I went to the Cartorio to ask about the documents necessary to marry here in Brazil, being from the United states they asked for the legalized birth certificate which i have in my possession, the single status declaration which i went to Sao Paulo to obtain and proof of residence which they said has to be legalized in the consulate of Brazil in USA and passport. I went before to ask and went to the same location and today sent me to another Cartorio that had to be closer to her home. So we have to apply there, this Cartorio didn't accept the declaration from Sao Paulo saying it had to be legalized in the consulate of Brazil in USA. So do you guys think I can send that legalized form from the single status declaration to USA and have that legalized there in the consulate of Brazil in USA as well, or does it have to be made there and sworn there in my presence. Also about the proof of residence they are saying it also has to be legalized? doesn't my drivers license, passport prove that already? why does it have to be legalized? They said a water bill, or light bill but it would be in the name of my parents and my mothers last name is different from the birth certificate from the bills cause of her marriage, but my fathers is the same. Would that be a problem or do both have to be the same? Does anybody have similar experience or any advice on what i should do? Thanks ahead of time.

Sorry, I don't know if I'm reading this correctly.

Did you go to the US consulate in Sao Paulo to get the single status declaration? This usually works. In fact, I don't know if I've read anybody who has done that and it not being accepted by the Cartorio.

The proof of residence is proof of residence in Brazil, not in the US. Your fiance needs to get the proof of residence and get it certified at the cartorio.

Just goes to show you how really screwed up the Cartórios are all over Brazil... nobody ever seems to know what the Hell they're doing at any of them, and half the information that Cartório staff give out is completely inaccurate. First of all you do not have to get married in any particular Cartório. I was living in Porto Seguro, my wife was living there too and we got married in São Paulo (Jaraguá). So that's their first goof.

As cupofjoe pointed out the proof of address is for your address in Brazil and it needs to be notarized, it certainly doesn't need to be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil anywhere. If you are staying with her and her family, you can provide a Declaração de Residência, notarized in the Cartório with a utility bill in the name of the property owner, or the property owner can notarize a Declaração de Residência stating that you live at that address. That is ALL the law requires for proof of residence for ANY PURPOSE except opening a bank account anywhere in Brazil. Second goof.

Joe is also correct, all of the American citizens who I've assisted through the marriage process here in Brazil have obtained a letter from the US Embassy/Consulate stating that they are single and there is no impediment to them marrying. That has been sufficient for all of the cases I've dealt with. You'll likely have to visit the Embassy/Consulate anyway to obtain an "Inscrição Consular", because most of the Cartórios will ask for it to "prove" your parentage, even though it's on your (long form) Birth Certificate they can't seem to wrap their heads around the current legislation that states the "Inscrição Consular" is only one of the various documents that can be used to prove parentage, your BC is the other, but these jerks seem to quite often ask for ALL of the documents and not just one as the legislations states. Third goof.

The difference in your mother's name on your Birth Certificate from her present married name can prove to be a big problem here in Brazil because of the matriarcal system used here in all documentation. The "Inscrição Consular" would also take care of that problem because you're going to be able to explain much more clearly to them that the difference is due to re-marriage and they will put her previous surname on the document so it corresponds to the name on your BC and won't cause any confusion for the trogs at the Cartório.

Unfortunately this is the real Brazil, where mediocre is the norm and not the exception. The Brazil where absolutely everything you will ever need to do in your life has to have something notarized by the incompetents working in a Cartório somewhere and have to be instructed by their boss how to blow their noses, because they don't even know how to do that correctly. This is the Brazil where ALL Cartórios seem to make up their own rules as they go along and where no two Cartórios have the same rules.

My suggestion to you is that if you have any further troubles with these idiots, then think seriously about combining the marriage and a honeymoon trip to somewhere else in Brazil and arrange to get married there instead. I've known cases where the money saved by not having to provide the mountains of unnecessary paperwork and notarizations, legalization, that some of them think you should have has actually paid for the trip to marry in another jurisdiction.

Cheers,

Thanks for the response and yes I went to Sao Paulo to get the declaration and after a series of visits I was able to talk to the "manager" who said the form could be used in the marriage process. Then he quickly changed his mind and said he was not sure, so he sent a copy to an officer of justice to verify. After a week of calling each day he finally said the declaration which has the signature of the council who legalized and signed my document has to be  "recognized" by a public notary. I don't know how I can achieve this but my guess is the man working at the Consulate who signed and swore my signature has his signature published somewhere? The manager didn't know where so now I have to figure that out.

They really don't seem to know the laws at this Cartorio and are clueless when it comes to foreign marriage. If we cant marry here we will attempt in Sao Paulo or elsewhere as you suggested.

The declaration of single status is declaring my address and the Manager said after a series of visits that it is all i need for proof of residence if i am able to recognize the councils signature from the consulate on it. Do you have an idea where i can find the place where the signatures are recognized of the people working at the consulate?

If I am able to achieve this I will not have to deal with the names of my parents for proof of address or name changes. It has been really frustrating and really has been like you describe but I thank you for your response and will try to not to lose hope. Thanks.

Regarding where the Consulate staff's signature are registered, you will need to contact the Consulate to find out. I would suspect that they have a "Consular Cartório", if they don't then their signatures will be registered with a Cartório near the Consulate. It would be a matter of just taking the document to that Cartório and requesting "Reconhecimento da Firma" of the officer who signed the document.

Cheers,

I've spent the last couple hours going through this whole thread (all 10 pages), as well as reading other sites on the Internet. 

Long story short, my fiancee and I are planning to marry soon (within the next 6 months).

1) I will apply to get the long form version of my birth certificate.  My birth certificate (and also Passport, and Brazil Tourist Visa) all list my Place of Birth incorrectly.  There was a mistake in the original birth certificate which propagated to all of my documents.  I thought maybe by applying for the long form one that it would be a could time to change the north certificate, but then it won't match my existing documents (Passport, Brazil Tourist Visa).  I've decided to keep it simple and just use the wrong birth place.  Do you think this is a good idea?  How hard would it be to change it later for my documents in Brazil if I ever got residency there?  Other thoughts?

2) I don't currently live in Brazil, but I spend as much time there as I can.  I understand I need to speak with the Military Police (maybe civil police?) in order to get the date for our wedding set up and that this date could be 1, 2, or maybe 3 months later.  Do I need to stay in Brazil during this time?  I assume that once we go and get everything in order to satisfy our marriage requirements in Brazil, I can come and go as I please until our wedding date as per my existing tourist visa?

3) When I do finally arrive for my wedding, that is when I notify the MP on arrival at the airport that I am in Brazil for my wedding?

Hello dan001,

1.)  Regarding your Birth Certificate. If there was an error on your original BC and it has continued through to all your other documents changing it may be more headaches than it is worth.

If you do ultimately decide to go with the original document, and wrong birthplace then you should be prepared to stick with it permanently. Trying to change something like that here in Brazil is going to involve a very lengthy and probably costly court process. Here even simple errors on official documents can only be corrected by Court Order, even the Cartório (Registry) that made the initial error can't correct them.

2.)  The wedding date will usually be set for anywhere from 30 - 45 days from the time you submit the paperwork to the Cartório de Registro Civil, and it will likely be given to you at that time. During the interval you certainly can come and go on your VITUR Tourist Visa as you wish, provided you don't exceed 180 days in Brazil in any "rolling" year. Wen you return for the marriage you do not need to (and probably shouldn't) mention the marriage to the Federal Police agents at airport immigrations check-in. It's really none of their business anyway so why risk bringing on unnecessary complications with a civilian employee who doesn't know the laws they are dealing with.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Cheers,

Few questions;
1    I no longer need criminal record check for marriage?
2    I grew up in Ireland - moved to US when I was         17 years old.  Do I need something from both countries saying I'm single? Thanks

Few quick questions:   To get married in Brazil-
1.  Do I no longer need a criminal record check?
2.  I was born and reared in Ireland and moved to     US when I was 17. Do I need proof that I was never married from both countries? Thanks😀

Don't come....you'll be called a Gringo and Starve to death in the Americas

sharkster1 wrote:

2.  I was born and reared in Ireland and moved to     US when I was 17. Do I need proof that I was never married from both countries? Thanks😀

1. You don't need a criminal record check to get married, I don't believe that this has ever been a requirement.

But if you want to apply for permanent residency, they'll either require a criminal record check or they'll just give you a form that you sign stating you have no criminal records. It seems like since the "new rules" have been in place, the criminal record check is no longer required...they'll usually just have you sign the form. If you do happen to have a criminal record, I suggest that you don't sign the form...this could end up screwing you if they find out.

2. You'll only need the single declaration from Ireland.

sharkster1 wrote:

Hello sharkster1,

The criminal record check has been replaced by a simple "Declaração de Não Condenação" which the Federal Police will provide you. It is ONLY for the permanency process, as cupofjoe mentioned it is not needed for marriage.

Regarding the certificate that you are single and never married, it depends on your citizenship. If you've natrualized as a US citizen then since you've lived in the USA since you were a minor then you'd need it from there. In many states such a document doesn't actually exist, so what most Americans end up doing is obtaining a letter from the US Embassy/Consulate stating they are single and never married. This will satisfy the legal requirements of the Cartório. You will have to go to the Embassy or Consulate anyway since you are also required to provide a Consular Inscrição, whidh they will know all about when you ask for one.

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team

James wrote:

Hello dan001,

1.)  Regarding your Birth Certificate. If there was an error on your original BC and it has continued through to all your other documents changing it may be more headaches than it is worth.

If you do ultimately decide to go with the original document, and wrong birthplace then you should be prepared to stick with it permanently. Trying to change something like that here in Brazil is going to involve a very lengthy and probably costly court process. Here even simple errors on official documents can only be corrected by Court Order, even the Cartório (Registry) that made the initial error can't correct them.

2.)  The wedding date will usually be set for anywhere from 30 - 45 days from the time you submit the paperwork to the Cartório de Registro Civil, and it will likely be given to you at that time. During the interval you certainly can come and go on your VITUR Tourist Visa as you wish, provided you don't exceed 180 days in Brazil in any "rolling" year. Wen you return for the marriage you do not need to (and probably shouldn't) mention the marriage to the Federal Police agents at airport immigrations check-in. It's really none of their business anyway so why risk bringing on unnecessary complications with a civilian employee who doesn't know the laws they are dealing with.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, as I just got my new long form birth certificate, it has my real birth place, and not the birth place which was indicated on the short form certificate.  Now, I have to figure out what the means.  I wonder if I will have any issues with the marriage in Brazil if my birthdates on passport/tourist-visa AND birth certificate don't match.  Maybe they won't notice, maybe they will.  Any idea if they pay attention to this?

Now you have me totally confused. What is the error on our Birth Certificate, the birthplace, the date of birth or both??? You've now mentioned both.

Bacause all cartorios are different, like you have said, my fiance visited the Cartorio in Ribeirão Preto. The woman she talked to (she has her name) didn't say anything about needing to prove Im single or the inscriçao consular. Im worried they will change their tune and we will be scrambling. I will have to go to Irish consulate in SP for inscriçao consular and US embassy for letter that I'm single! Should I be worried?! Thx

You should be prepared for the last minute change of tune as you suspect. Many Cartórios are not accustomed to performing marriages involving expats in the first place, so they're unaware of the correct procedures. Some will cover up their lack of knowledge by letting it slip between the cracks and marrying you anyway, while others give you the old... "Oh and you also need the following documents" routine at the last minute.

I'd recommend that you go back to the Cartório and put it to them. Tell them that you've heard you need a single certificate and inscrição consular, ask if you do or not. Then ask for it to be put in writing. Tell them you want it in writing so they can't go back on their word at the last moment.

Cheers,

Will do. Thanks!

What is a Consular Inscrição? Am I right about having to go to Irish consulate because I was born there and have an Irish Birth Certificate?

Hi Sharkster1,

The inscrição consular is essentially just a letter from the Consulate that you've registered with them, it will also give the full name of your parents, and probably their place of birth too. This is something that the Brazilian government is absolutely obsessive about, parents' names. It all depends on your citizenship where you will ask for it. If you've naturalized as an American citizen and are using that passport, then you should obtain the inscrição consular from the US Embassy or Consulate, if you haven't and you are have used your Irish passport to enter Brazil then you'll need to get it from the Irish Consulate.

Your Birth Certificate however, must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Ireland and then consularized by the Irish Consulate here in Brazil and translated by a sworn translator here too to use for marriage. The Cartório will very likely keep both the original BC and translation, so you would be wise to ask them to make a couple of certified copies of both for you when you submit the papers for the marriage.

Cheers,