Moving to Vietnam, do I need a CELTA?

After completing my degree I qualified as a high school Geography teacher in the UK. After one year of teaching I moved to South Korea, due to the poor job market. I intend to move to Vietnam in around a year. At that stage, I will have had two and a half years experience teaching ESL. I have been teaching middle school and have taught very low level students, up to high level TOEFL and an advanced class including such activities as debate and mock trials.

I intend to travel for a month or so before moving to Vietnam to begin my job search. My question is, do I need a CELTA qualification to be in with a chance of finding employment? If it is not necessary I would rather not for financial reasons and also the fact that it would not really impact my qualification at home.

I have found varying opinions on message boards but a number of the posts are older and could possibly be out of date.

Is it too much of a risk to go without first taking the CELTA? Would I only be able to find less reputable jobs with my qualification and experience?

Thank you

You'll find work without a Celta ok.

However I'd strongly recommend you get it, you will get better paid jobs with it and your degree. Places like the British Council\RMIT will not take you without both and they are the best paying jobs in town. You will make a living without it, but with you cna make a lot better one.

I appreciate financially it's a pain but it will pay back soon enough and that includes back in the UK.

No I'm not a teacher, but most of my friends are and they cover all the spectrum's in terms of qualifications and experience. Only the ones at the top end have teaching degrees and celta.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I appreciate it.

You don't need a CELTA or TESOL to teach here, as so many of them work without even a degree:D
But if you want to make it as a profession, and become a dedicated teacher, I recommend it. It'll give you a long term contract too!