General Living cost in Myanmar

It depends on the city you live, if you are living in Yangon,

Breakfast at local tea shop (basic), only 1 US dollar, but if you are going to sit at Cafe (standard), you need to have 3 US dollar minimal in your pocket.

Lunch .. local food stall on street(3-5 US dollar) , Good restaurant with air-con (you really need it in Summer), cost (5-10 US dollar)

Dinner.. not much different with lunch unless you add Beer. One bottle of beer cost 1-2 US dollar in local places but at the bar(hotel or club) minimal (3-10 US dollar)

How about transportation ?
Almost impossible to use local transportation system unless you like adventure :) because no safe, no clean and no fast to your destination. So how about taking Taxi(cab), base on the distance as usual, most of the taxi don't have meter or don't use it. Prefer only local money for fees. Minimal cost is 1500 Kyats(1.6 US dollar)but you might need to negotiate the price before you get on, if non the price may rise a little bit. :)
For instance,down town to your destination (20 to 30 minutes)cost 2000 to 2500 kyats(2.2 to 2.8 US dollar), but if you are taking around office and school hours,you may cause more due to traffic.
All prices are base on today's exchange(1 USdollar = 980 Kyats)

How about renting flat?

In downtown , a small flat with one bed room , minimal 300 US dollar to rent and if you prefer condo with lift and furnish one , minimal 1000 to maximal 3000 US dollar.
If you are really interesting only Villa.I wanna say that OMG, Price will be up to the heaven, never down until now : ), (3000 to 5000 US dollar)

It is better to buy a small flat if you are planing to stay long. For example, you can buy a small flat with (25000 to 40000 US dollar).
And you can sell it back when you move out of Myanmar, I bet that you will earn more than 50% profit). Because Prices are rising days by days in Yangon due to migration to big city from rural area.

I am saying this from my experiences because I have thee flats in Yangon. I bought one of new flat in Yangon in 2012,was cost (about 17000 US dollar),Now Yangon real estates companies value it 24000 US dollar minimal.

Why don't you want to earn more by living in Yangon and doing your career?

For now, please let me stop this post and if you wanna know more info or if you want to discuss with me , i will be in Yangon until August. feel free to contact me (0943076925).

I really welcome People who bring business to local community.

Dear Tin Nwe Tun,

nice summarize. Nevertheless, foreigners can't own land or buy any flat. Things will get different once the Condominium Law is enacted, which will allow foreigners to buy condos above the 6 floor.

Nowadays a "villa" will cost you much more :)

Best Regards,
Urim

Thanks Urim ,

Thanks for adding more info .

I dont really agree...
If you go to any resturants it will cost you more than U$ 25 per pax, sometimes can go up to U$ 100 for 2 pax with my current experience.
Unless you are with big group for chinese resturants than U$ 10-20 is resonable.
Taxi fare has gone up a bit too.. so you got to add at least another 500-1000 kyats...

To Mr Tweetyeve ,
I believe I already mentioned clearly on the topic that cost of general ... Not 4,5 star level dining ..
General spending cost for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... Not a special dining. If you are a forefinger working and living in Yangon, I am sure you won't go to 5 star level dining places everyday. Please be realistic ..
General living cost means average spending of daily life. 
It is easy to criticise anything than writing a long post ..

tin nwe tun wrote:

To Mr Tweetyeve ,
I believe I already mentioned clearly on the topic that cost of general ... Not 4,5 star level dining ..
General spending cost for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... Not a special dining. If you are a forefinger working and living in Yangon, I am sure you won't go to 5 star level dining places everyday. Please be realistic ..
General living cost means average spending of daily life. 
It is easy to criticise anything than writing a long post ..

Agree with Tin New Tun...even an open buffet dinner costs 21-28 usd in Traders...I don't know where you can go up to 100 $ unless you had it with a good wine..and only wine price can easily go above that in any part of the world...there are few more expensive ones like opera and aux sthng, which can go a little bit higher than that...but these are places where you will go once or twice a week... and if you like an average life then once a month...

Thanks Strangemania ,
Thanks a lot for your post and appreciate it.
I hope you enjoy living in myanmar

Hi Tin Nwe Tun
Do you have an email address?
Thank you

[moderated: off topic.]

How can you buy the flat in Yangon?? The property is under your name?

what do the international hotel chains pay (average) for executive management jobs in information technology in Yangon as a head of a department in IT?

Dear Ms Tin,
You talk about buying a flat in Yangon. Can a foreigner buy an apartment in Yangon?
Thanks
Leong Yue Peng Malaysia