Job offer - Xiamen

Hey guys,

I have got an offer from a language school to teach English in Xiamen and I am wondering about the city a bit.

Actually, I think the offer is disputable - salary 7500rmb with 1000rmb allowance for accommodation which I have to arrange for myself.

Do you think it is a reasonable salary for this city?
I mean I would love to live as well as safe some money, so it is a question whether it would be possible as Xiamen is supposed to be a bit more expensive that other cities towards the interior.

Is it hard to find accommodation there? I mean something "good", simple but good to enjoy it?

I will appreciate any relevant information here, I am considering other offers and cities as well, so it is kinda hard to make a decision sometimes:)

Thank you fellas
have fun

Sonia

I've never lived in Xiamen, but I was just there on vacation.  It's more expensive than some Chinese cities, but cheaper than the major cities.

7500元 a week is pretty good.  1000元 for housing is insanely low.

Hi thanks!

I thought so, peanust basically,

7500 is per monnth, wd be good if accommodation was covered.

Thank you!

Clerks at 7-11 make more than 7500元 here.

7-11 - meaning?

yeah, I know.....but searching the market all the way from Europe probably means, some offers might tbe like that:)

letŽs see, however, I agree, can be more and should be more,

I assume this is what teachers today get, salaries range from 6000 up 14000rmb per month, if there are bonuses, cool, often, they seem to offer less and less, at least that s how I feel so far.....

Really depends on what sort of lifestyle you want to enjoy.  Basically though, a reasonable two bedroom apartment in a good area is around RMB 4,000, and basic living cost (eating at local restaurants, traveling by mostly BRT or bus and taxi occasionally, going out occasionally) is perhaps RMB 2,500 / month).    If you are clubbing at weekends, eating i  more expensive restaurants, etc, then cost will obviously be higher.

Xiamen as an "island city" is one of the more pleasant places to live in China, much smaller than the mega-cities such as Guangzhou, Shanghai, etc, and with a relatively small ex-pat population, about 3,000, which tends to be fairly well spread out.  Depends what you are into, but I think most people would agree that it is a good place to live.

hi

thanks for the info

well, I know Xiamen is a great place to live and is on top of my list, however, if the conditions stink, it is not worth pushing it too hard I guess.

thank you once again! if I find a suitable offer, I will certainly go there. It seems though, that the schools know about the potential the city offers, and they make the conditions harseher....that s the impression I got:(

Have fun!

Thanks Mark,

I have got a better idea now.

I think I will be looking for studios and small flats so hopefully I can get around 3000rmb:)

I have heard so much nice stuff about the place that I might take the risk and accept a job with a bit worse conditions just for the sake of living there.

Thank you and maybe see you soon!

Oh how long have you been living there?

Thanks!
Sonia

Hi Sonia, language schools are the worst *** element in the world of teachers. They earn a lot but provide their teachers with basic  pay enough for surviving 1 month stay in Xiamen (3x a week diet of noodles and 4x diet of congee to save half of your meager income). Not to mention 1k RMB for accommodation will give you a room only accommodation with no Internet access. And electric bills, water bills and gas bills will cost you around 400 to 1000 RMB a month.

I suggest you quickly decide whether to accept that offer or not.

Hey Vikings

what do you mean quickly decide? Do I detect irony or it only feels that way?:)
I see your point, but well, I believe every contract is to be nogitated and treated as an opportunity to train yourself.

I have had some experience already but from Europe, so as I can see, China is a way too different piece to handle:)

LetŽs see if it works out finally!
Have fun!
Sonia

If you are already in China, you can search for a much better school and I suggest you go straight to the government schools that can afford to pay as much as 10k to 12k a month and with all the benefits accorded to a foreign teacher classified as a Foreign Expert. 
Should you choose another language school,  choose the established  language centers with outlets worldwide.

No, I am not in China

and donŽt know if I make it there.

It seems that dealing with schools, about arranging all the stuff, the most imprortant stuff like Z-visa and accommodation is more demanding than space operation!

WeŽll see.

Have a lovely day and thank you for you advice!
Sonia

Government schools handle all the relevant visas and accommodation for the foreign teachers. Language centers offer limited guarantee.

Sonisska wrote:

7-11 - meaning?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BWDQA8G1smI/Udy8ziWFQoI/AAAAAAAAA8E/ynnuUK91_-0/s512/Disneyland711.jpg

Hi Sonisska,

I actually think 7000RMB is quite reasonable. Well I know some English teachers make around 10000RMB per month but they are not a lot! 1000RMB for accommodation though is a bit low I'd say. But you can always rent a place below 2000RMB. A studio doesn't cost that much. But it also depends on the area. The living cost here isn't that expensive too. You know a lot of locals only make less than 4000RMB per month and they still live a comfortable life. Xiamen is one of the best cities in China. It's not so busy compared to big cities like Shanghai or Beijing. But it has everything a developed city can offer. I'm sure you will love it here.

PM me if you need any help.

Good luck! x

Totally agree your comments, Missincognito....   RMB 7,000 is enough to live reasonably well in Xiamen, and as you say, many locals can manage fine on RMB 4,000, which is about the average wage in Xiamen.

It's also a good place to live, not too large, or manic, and with plenty of activities (even if the beaches are a real mess right at the moment after the recent typhoons..)

thnx guys

well, if the visa policies make it possible for me to come to China, then this information might be useful, for now thought, it looks kinda fuzzy.

hi sonisska, did you make it through to xiamen in the end? if so how are you finding it?

i am also making the decision to work as an ESL in xiamen.

Last time I plan to come to xiamen for inspecting goods, and by the way to visit my brother's son at Xiamen university.

Looking for the time and chance to visit Xiamen

:)