Working + Living + Playing in Shanghai

Hi, I am new here.

I have been away working in overseas for a number of years and enjoyed living in metropolis with a good mixture of eurasians, westerners and asians.

I am considering Shanghai to be my next working destination and wondering whether anyone here could give me some comments for the followings:

Social & Culture - how's the Chinese in Shanghai? Do they speak English at all? I was told that they are generally not as friendly and can be quite rude, is that true?

Working - Is there a work-life balance in Shanghai generally or most people would rather spend time working in the office as in the case in HK.

Living - how expensive it is to buy / invest in properties in Shanghai?

Playing - What do you normally do in Shanghai for your leisure? What kinda of entertainments they have in the cities? Heard somebody said Shanghai is the Asian Manhattan, is it true?

Sorry for this long msg, but I aould really appreciate if you could give me your opinion.

Cheers!

Hi Aeron,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to go through the Shanghai forum, you may find find some interesting hints. :)

Regards.

I did go through Shanghai forum but most of the replies are not specific. Hoping to receive some comments here :)

This post is about 4 years old now. Aeron, were you able to answer your question as you visit Shanghai?