My vietnamese girlfriend cannot stay at my house in vietnam overnight

You can say that she is your friend and she leave soon?

Your English was fine and well understood.  DaNang is a good place. I've had no problems thus far.  I know what the law is and that really helps.  I've got a free website that does not push 'sales' and gives you material to copy both written and audio.  Again, it is free, but not sure if I can enter on this blog.  It has only been advertised through friends, some students and word of mouth. 
Take care and Happy New Year

hi bro I am moving to Vietnam soon. so let me get this straight. I am a foreigner and if i meet a girl there who is also a foreigner, in that case.does the police still bother me?

Omar Salim wrote:

hi bro I am moving to Vietnam soon. so let me get this straight. I am a foreigner and if i meet a girl there who is also a foreigner, in that case.does the police still bother me?

Quick answer: No.

Cool. Thanks man.

Are you permitted to be ALONE with another of the opposite sex in the first instance?

Well what's wrong with that if both of them agree?

religious grounds!

Find one who goes to the same church as you..... :lol:

look i understand man .I am a man of religion too but I am an open minded guy and IF i have a girlfriend and i intend to marry her and she got no one else in the city then for safety reasons .is it bad for her to stay with me?

... there is NO excuse for an woman to be in the same room with a man who is not her family. (khalwat).
Open mindedness does not change the rules. Neither are the excuses you stated.
If you have a girl friend, then you can make your own rules or excuse... including marriage after you were accused of close proximity.
In Vietnam, a foreigner CANNOT share a room with a local Vietnamese. That is the LAW which is not flexible.

Last time I was in VN, I stayed with my wife at my in-laws' house, or in hotel rooms with my wife. Although we are married in the US, we never carry marriage papers with us, and she still uses her VN passport and I my US passport. There is absolutely no way to verify that we are married other than our wedding rings, and I have never had a problem.

That being said, my wife does not dress like a prostitute. If you are doing the same thing with a girl that dresses more promiscuously, I can imagine you might experience more difficulties.

brother where are you  if you dont mind me asking and of course I know what religion do u belong to?

crazy, is that new saudi arabia

actually thats a very good point

stumpy wrote:

That one was funny  :lol:  How about my mind is my church?  :D

MIA2013 wrote:
stumpy wrote:

That one was funny  :lol:  How about my mind is my church?  :D

:thanks:

How about a foreigner share a room with another foreigner?

stumpy wrote:
Omar Salim wrote:

Quick answer: No.

you still illegal, my brother and his thai girlfeirnd visit me last year,but the local policeman just allow my brother stay in my house, so i think they will not bother you if you and you friend rent the house together

hELLnoi wrote:

... there is NO excuse for an woman to be in the same room with a man who is not her family. (khalwat).
Open mindedness does not change the rules. Neither are the excuses you stated.
If you have a girl friend, then you can make your own rules or excuse... including marriage after you were accused of close proximity.
In Vietnam, a foreigner CANNOT share a room with a local Vietnamese. That is the LAW which is not flexible.

Many if not most of us don't feel that a woman or a man need to provide any excuses for being in a room together.  However, the law here in Vietnam prohibits a foreign man and a Vietnamese woman sharing a room, which is why it is a matter of discussion. It is a matter of civil law not religious edict.  It appears from the number of hotels renting rooms on an hourly basis that there is no such law prohibiting this among Vietnamese and it is a fairly common practice.  Guess it's better to live in a nanny state than a theocracy.

hELLnoi wrote:

religious grounds!

as significant as coffee grounds

RayG wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

religious grounds!

as significant as coffee grounds

Or reading teacups............. :lol:

Yes the law states you cant share a room together, but hey money rules and they still rent hotel rooms to people. My ex-girlfriend and I did this numerous times, she now actually shares an apartment with her new boyfriend and they are not married. The police are a little bit more relaxed about it these days, but some areas in the countryside will still give you grief.

jakejas wrote:

That being said, my wife does not dress like a prostitute. If you are doing the same thing with a girl that dresses more promiscuously, I can imagine you might experience more difficulties.

This is absolutely true.

First of all, whether or not it's illegal, a foreign male and foreign female can cohabitate here with no problems at all from the authorities. I and my wife are proof of that. We've lived in several different places before we were married, and traveled all over VN. Never had a problem because of our both having foreign passports.

Now back to the quote above... My wife goes back to China almost every year, for at least one month, to visit her relatives. While she's gone, the security staff at my apartment complex apparently either forgets she ever existed, or assumes she left me. I say this because they appear to act like they don't know who she is when she comes back. On one of her returns to VN, she wanted to surprise me by dressing somewhat provocatively, and when we entered the car-park of our complex, one of the security staff chased us down to tell us she couldn't go in (i.e. he thought she was a prostitute). After looking her over for several seconds while I kept saying "ba xa! ba xa!", he just smiled and walked away.  Of course, my wife, being the astute one that she is, soon asked me just how many prostitutes I had taken home while she was gone. My answer: Obviously none, given that the security staff almost didn't let her in.  :D

I don't think it is really a big issue. I live with my female friend at her house and since the house belongs to her, she has this book in which I just bring to police station near my house and register my stay there. They didn't even ask me anything. Just paid a small fee to buy the book to register my name. They allow me to register for about 3 months maximum even though I have a TRC valid for 2 years. But it's fine cause every time I go back, I just look for the same woman and the registration is done in 5 mins or so. When the police came to check at night, I just showed them the book and everything seems to be fine.

Basically, there are rules to follow everywhere you go and I guess if you just try to follow them then you won't really have much problem. But in Vietnam, rules tend to be always changing and it does sometimes piss foreigners off with their ever changing and confusing laws. :)

It might be time that police remove these very old out of date laws, its basically a money grab and not the rhetoric they spew out.

colinoscapee wrote:

It might be time that police remove these very old out of date laws, its basically a money grab and not the rhetoric they spew out.

Not only the law,but also the bureaucracy

The laws are so vague, not even the local Vietnamese know if it's illegal or not :D

do you guys think it would be less inconvenient for me to bring girls back to my hotel since im asian?

im an american born chinese/taiwanese (US passport)
im going to be in vietnam (HCMC) for 2 weeks on business
im also quite young... 23 this year

what if i were to go up to my room separately than a girl? would she be stopped in the lobby if reception doesn't recognize her or something?... (4 or 5 star hotel)

also, do any of the hotels in HCMC have underground parking garages? Couldn't i just take the garage elevator with a girl up to my room without them ever seeing?

thanks ahead of time for any input! i had no idea such a rule existed... until a co-worker told me earlier this week

Hi, for 5 start hotel, they will stop her for sure. For example: Sheraton hotel will stop her at the elevator at night while nikko will ask her to fill in a form saying that Nikko will not take responsibility for anything happened insides.

I just know about 5 start hotels, not 4 starts. But I have heard Pullman is quite easier. You can check later. Normally all 5 star hotel will ask you to show your marriage paper or to fill the form like Nikko.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi, for 5 start hotel, they will stop her for sure. For example: Sheraton hotel will stop her at the elevator at night while nikko will ask her to fill in a form saying that Nikko will not take responsibility for anything happened insides.

I just know about 5 start hotels, not 4 starts. But I have heard Pullman is quite easier. You can check later. Normally all 5 star hotel will ask you to show your marriage paper or to fill the form like Nikko.

thanks for the info! well i can cross sheraton and nikko off my list haha...
i have a few more quick questions... if you or anyone else doesn't mind helping =D
-do these hotels only do this type of stuff at night? what about during the day?
-do ALL hotels still require people to show passports? (even if book a room online @ agoda)
-does it not help at all that i also kind of look like the locals? or will the fact that i speak english and not viet automaticaly give it away haha

gosh... why do they have to make it so damn difficult... just wanna have some fun

Hi,

Sheraton will allow her to come to the room at days while she has to leave at nights but Nikko will stop her from the beginning when you enter the hotel.

The other hotels are quiet easier. It just keeps your passports. For Vietnamese, it will keep their ids. My friend stayed in boss 3 last time and he told me his gf can stay with him whole night.

Don't make fun. Be serious and take responsibility for whom you take to the bed!

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

Sheraton will allow her to come to the room at days while she has to leave at nights but Nikko will stop her from the beginning when you enter the hotel.

The other hotels are quiet easier. It just keeps your passports. For Vietnamese, it will keep their ids. My friend stayed in boss 3 last time and he told me his gf can stay with him whole night.

Don't make fun. Be serious and take responsibility for whom you take to the bed!

Regards

Haha but I don't wanna make a serious girlfriend on a business trip...  :(

I've read about the passport thing... whats the purpose of it? Can they use that info to call the cops on me or something?... Can i just ask them to make a photocopy and let me keep my original passport?

My company is paying for my hotel so I don't think I can tell them to book me at a 2 star hotel like Boss 3 without them figuring out why hahaha. I think it has to be somewhat decent for them to not question my intentions.

ALSO, is there a way of finding out each hotel's policy? Do I have to call them or can I email them? (If so... what do i say? "Hi, can I have guests over in my room?" )

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi, for 5 start hotel, they will stop her for sure...

Not for sure. I have walked into hotels with my VN wife (without verification of marriage) many times without anyone batting an eye. Some of them were very nice hotels, although none of the hotels were in Saigon, and my wife usually dresses conservatively.

tml wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

Regards

I've read about the passport thing... whats the purpose of it? Can they use that info to call the cops on me or something?... Can i just ask them to make a photocopy and let me keep my original passport?

My company is paying for my hotel so I don't think I can tell them to book me at a 2 star hotel like Boss 3 without them figuring out why hahaha. I think it has to be somewhat decent for them to not question my intentions.

ALSO, is there a way of finding out each hotel's policy? Do I have to call them or can I email them? (If so... what do i say? "Hi, can I have guests over in my room?" )

Being a lady, I cant support what you will do.  But be frank with them. There are many Viet girls who have good imaginary for long-term relationships.

Maybe you can choose to live in 5 star apartments. It can allow people to stay. I am afraid that you will have to call them to confirm the information.

http://www.sherwoodresidence.com/en/inquiryhttp://www.agoda.com/saigon-domaine-lux … amp;cklg=1

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:
tml wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Being a lady, I cant support what you will do.  But be frank with them. There are many Viet girls who have good imaginary for long-term relationships.

Maybe you can choose to live in 5 star apartments. It can allow people to stay. I am afraid that you will have to call them to confirm the information.

http://www.sherwoodresidence.com/en/inquiryhttp://www.agoda.com/saigon-domaine-lux … amp;cklg=1

Regards

thanks again for the help.
I understand your perspective. But in my own defense... I'm not as bad of a monster i'm making myself appear  :lol:
But I'm glad you said what you said. I appreciate the reminder. I am always very good about making my intentions very clear. Having a chinese/taiwanese background, I can safely say that a lot of chinese girls feel the same way about hoping for long term relationships.

it's why me and my fiance say. vietnamese very love money. i can say they not honest about money even they friendly.
I just move to vietnam because my fiance move work to vietnam.
they very horibble about money.
I don't like for some vietnamese attitude.
they is crazy when ride motobike, how can they take the place for people walk to ride motorbike. and they don't have respect with the people walk there. it's always happen, and not you will be angry with them. but will them say something bad for you. they say you not must take they way to ride motorbike. because it every time must have lots accident on street.
i ever hear from my fiance, they very don't like if asian women have a relationship with westren people.
i had fiance from england. he teaching as bussines english teacher. he student ever tell to him, not good for asian women walk with westren men with hold hand, have hug and kiss on public area.
but i always see the vietnamese couple always can hug and kiss in public area. they is crazy.
one day, because it, my fiance not want hold my hand when walk. i ask, and i told for what you care with them. we not from here.

That is quit right, very recently i took a girl into my room in one of the 5star hotel in Saigon, and they just asked me to register in their register if I kept the girl overnight only....

There are somthing wrong.

EVERYone provides a form of ID - Vietnamese included.

Closed