How this Filipina coped with discrimination in Switzerland

SWITZERLAND - Since moving to Switzerland 19 years ago, I have experienced my fair share of discrimination: My race, job, size and religion among others.

I took it all in with dignity, proud of my roots as a Filipino. It was not easy. But I managed to keep my sanity by focusing on my family, growing children, work, and projects that will help reach out to others.

Looking back, I should say I was able to hold my ground during encounters wherein any other individual would have shied and ran away.

At school

When my daughters got sick for two weeks, I was deprived of sleep and forgot to bring a document to the kindergarten class. Across the street, the Swiss-Italian kindergarten teacher screamed at me in Italian, “Hey, Asian brownie, what kind of memory do you have? I heard that many women in your country are in prostitution. Is that how you fished out your Swiss husband?”

Other mothers waited for my reaction as I fought to hold back tears that were threatening to fall. I replied calmly in Italian, “Can I set an appointment with you so we can talk about my country?”

The Swiss Italian teacher who did not speak English was quite impressed on how I fluently spoke Italian without any foreign accent. I told her that her overt, hostile statement was offensive, based on her very limited knowledge of the Philippines no thanks to Swiss-Italian TV programs.

Aided by a travel book, I explained to her at great length our Philippine history as well as how much we value our education, family, strong spiritual foundation and concern for compatriots. Needless to say, I gained her respect.

At home

The worst discrimination I suffered was with my former, Swiss-Italian husband. He treated me like I was “nothing.” For him a woman's role is to obey the man, serve the man and stay at home. As a religious woman taking seriously the vows of matrimony, I submitted myself to his chauvinistic demands but was treated like a slave for seven years. Luckily, I found a good job at an aviation company, giving me the courage to file for divorce.

Even that did not free me from more racial slurs.

Once during shopping, I was approached by an Italian woman shouting insults at me.

“Stay away from my son! You're a divorced woman with baggage, too young and small to be a mother! You married a Swiss to have a better life. You come from a Third World country, just looking for someone to lean on,” screamed the woman.

Later, I realized that her 30-year-old son was one of my suitors, sending me flowers. With controlled anger and a fair amount of respect for the woman, I shot back in fluent Italian, “If you wish to talk to me, do so without prejudice.”

I added, “What is it in a Third World country that makes First World people like you behave in the way you do? I married because of love but was treated like a slave. My daughters are not baggage, they are my life. I'm not interested in your son!”

At work

While working in a law firm, I had to endure daily insults from a lawyer.

One such encounter went this way: “Didn't you consider how lucky you are working for us and not work as a maid like your compatriots in Italy or are you much better in cleaning toilets than working on my court cases?”

Calmly I replied, “To match your provocations with anger will only court disaster. Most of my compatriots are degree holders too. It's the system that does not give them much better job opportunities because companies save money on lower salary by giving the lowly jobs to migrants.”

Fellow Filipinos discriminate, too

A Filipino friend, jealous of my suitors of German, French, Italian, Swiss, Dutch, Finnish and American nationalities, showed her claws by spreading rumors about me to our friends.

“She's very much a European now, so modern, so precise, too independent. Maybe, she is collecting passports so she dated them,” remarked the friend.

It's one of those sad realities that some kababayans don't look at divorce with an open mind. One time, as I was going out of the church, a lady exclaimed at me:

“You left your husband! You're doomed for life! You still go to church?”

I replied, “Did the church issue a ban on divorcees? Did you see me melt to ashes when I knelt down to pray? Or do you want to check my ticket to heaven or hell?”

Things to do

How should you act when facing discrimination?

It is wise to reply and act in a diplomatic way with self-respect and dignity intact. Learn to speak fluently the language of your new country. Knowing their history, culture and social mores will give you more confidence when talking to them.

Don't let any form of discrimination lower your self-esteem.

Be the better person, exercise patience, broaden your insights, and weigh the degree of the circumstance. That way you can flexibly handle the situation with wit, humor, dignity, finesse, wisdom and respect.

You have RIGHTS against discrimination

Following the Amsterdam Treaty in 2009, The European Union mandates every member state to protect your rights against discrimination in religion or belief in school or workplace, sexual orientation in the areas of social protection, social advantages and access to good and services, ancestry, skin color, disability, age, chronic diseases and civil status.

You have a right to go to court and are entitled to compensation when it is proven that you have been discriminated.

What you should do if you feel discriminated?

1. Be informed - know the official organizations in your country that helps victims of discrimination, the legal and administrative procedures, the nature of legal coercion available, how to prove that the discrimination took place, etc.

2. Write it down - make notes of what happened, who said what, where did it take place, were there witnesses and why did you feel that you were discriminated.

3. Register it with the authorities - you can go to the police, call anti-discrimination hotlines in your country or talk to official organizations that can help you. It is important to make your complaint official.

This breaks my heart...definitely an eye opener for all pinoy expats across the world. 

If this is your story, may God be your shield day by day.

No matter how hard, do not let racial slurs break down your self-esteem.

Just keep in mind that maybe there is one person or wherever you are that respects you well and treats you as a human.

I HOPE THIS THREAD/TOPIC WILL BE AN INSPIRATION TO EVERYONE OF US.

thank you for reading!!

You're very brave, I salute you!!!!!

I just read your blog and wanted to say that that this world is full of ignorance and hatred.. maybe that's why they say it's the devil's domain.  It saddens me that you have had to endure such ignorance and hatred. I too have endured uninvited/unprovoked hate from women and spousal abuse and remained silent here in America where hateful people abound but so do good people. Not everyone is going to like or be good to you, it is the way of the world for there are many individuals that walk this earth insecure, fearful and so full of hatred which they lash out to others who are innocent.  Such individuals were never taught to love themselves for if they were they would extend that love outward to others. It is a lack of love of self that makes a person lash out at another. It is their own unloving experiences that have created the monsters they have become. But we all have a choice in such matters, either you respond by acting the same or rising above the hatred.  Your response to such unlovingness is actually the correct response, it is a saintly response, which we should all mirror. I'm reminded of what Saint Mathew wrote, 'Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'  Be very selective in your friendships. Keep on your journey, the world has good people just like you in it, Switzerland, Europe have millions of people and I'm sure that there are Europeans with full loving hearts that are just waiting to share that love with a good person like you.  Stay strong and courageous and remember you are not alone. Peace & Harmony always.

It is an eye opener to me. However I havent experienced it yet. And I hope I will overcome things when it will be going to happen to me.
God Bless

Hi

You have very inspiring story.We never meet yet but i feel you are very good person with clear heart.May God bless you and continue to support all our kababayan who felt humiliated and discriminate.

More power and God bless.

sad story,but as a God fearing woman,be still...
yeah its true some countries look down to our country not knowing that Philippines is more respectful,God fearing,helpful etc..yea its not all but many Filipinos have a good heart.
As a traveler not only Philippines,but some other countries do the same.
As an observer Filipinos are more diligent ,
As a Filipino no discrimination for aliens who are living and working in my country.

Thank you very much for sharing with us with your excellent "life thoughts"!

These are absolute sad experiences which you have got through. . . Unfortunately there are quite a few people who always take for granted they are blessed by God because of the country where they were born. TAke for granted they are inborn better than others. It is actually another kind of damaging behavior of bringing humiliation to the beauty of their country which their ancestors have created from generation to generation.

Nowadays so many people  travel from country to country for their work which uploads their values and self-fulfilments as well as for their beloved, actually most of the time it is absolute NOT for a better economical goal. In my life if I can choose, I would love to stay forever in my motherland- China. However destination brings me from country to country, first Holland, then America, then Switzerland. It is sure in fact because of the work of my husband. Because of beloved, the life is beyond my control from then on... I lived in Holland for many years. I love the people and the country, even though there are always ups and downs. To be honest, I never experienced such bad situations as you had in Holland. I hope I would have a reasonable pleasant journey in Switzerland.

You have done a great job in a very decent way to let those " frogs in the wells" to see and understand a beautiful world and beautiful humanity beyond their narrow views. Till now, I have traveled so many countries, It is obvious to see that every country has their beautiful and gorgeous history and the people.

I believe there are always nice and decent people everywhere. Of course, as you also have posted, we should try to be decent, elegant, polite people in the first place, even to the rudest ones.

Wish you a beautiful and peaceful life!