Hgv drivers

Hi does anyone know roughly what the hourly rate for hgv drivers is please

Hi and welcome to Expat.com andyarm!

Could you please introduce yourself?

Thanks
Armand

Hi armand, I'm andy, hgv driver, my house is up for sale and hopefully I'll be moving to malta in the not too distant future

I'd like to know if there's plenty of work for heavy goods drivers and what the money is like

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

I wouldn't put my expectations too high in that sector. In particular I can't remember ever seing a non-Maltese hgv driver. The sectors could be construction vehicles,water bowsers,towing containers and large delivery trucks (not many due to narrow streets).I think all would require speaking Maltese and knowing someone. I can't imagine someone trying to navigate the narrow streets with parked cars without being able to swear and argue in Maltese-)))

The wage could be similar to what the Arriva bus drivers earn - maybe even less but more than the minimum wage.

Do you know Malta? The main sector for hgv is the construction and that is and will be on the decline.

I'm sorry if it does not sound that positive.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your response, it isn't very positive but thanks anyway Ricky.

I'm coming over for a week at the end of September and ill have a look around, a bit of market research !

Cheers, Andy

andyarm wrote:

Thanks for your response, it isn't very positive but thanks anyway Ricky.
I'm coming over for a week at the end of September and ill have a look around, a bit of market research !
Cheers, Andy

May I say that if you are considering emigration that 1 week is not going to be long enough to assess the islands? Your move is, after all, potentially life changing.

Yes thanks for that redmik. My friend has already got a buyer for her house and she's moving out there in November, hopefully. I'll follow her out when I've sold mine and so then it's just the SMALL matter of finding a job ! When I have my week holiday there I'm hoping to hand my cv out to as many companies as possible.

Thanks again

Andy

Hi Andy,

I talked to a Maltese friend today who has a friend who works in HR for a construction company in Malta , so a fairly good overview of wages. He called him up and got this information:

HGV or bus drivers (private company or Arriva) all earn about the same which is around 80 LM/week or with overtime up to to 100 LM/week.

So this equates to about 1050 €/month (12500 €per year) before taxes and NI.

Hope this belated information helps.

Cheers
Ricky

You've done some good investigative work there, Ricky, thanks very much

Andy

How much would you say a family needs to earn annually to live comfortably

Hi Andy,

that is a very difficult and individual question. Check out the 'cost of living' thread for more information.

I would say more than 15.000 €/year for a (foreign)family to live comfortably.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky you've been very helpful

Andy

Well I've finally got a buyer for my house and will be driving to malta sometime in May, hopefully.
Have you ever driven through Sicily ? I'm driving from Palermo to pozzallo through the night and would like to know how long it will take and do they have service stations on the a18 where it would be safe to park for a few hours sleep

Thanks

andyarm wrote:

Well I've finally got a buyer for my house and will be driving to malta sometime in May, hopefully.
Have you ever driven through Sicily ? I'm driving from Palermo to pozzallo through the night and would like to know how long it will take and do they have service stations on the a18 where it would be safe to park for a few hours sleep

Thanks

Palermo to Pozzallo will take about 3 hours at night, there are service stations but not sure if they are open all night.
You can park in the docks at Pozzallo and sleep but there are currently no toilet facilities (café doesn't seem to open often in the winter).
If you are aiming for the morning ferry to Malta be aware that it does not currently run every morning.
This may increase in the summer but the schedule is not yet available.

If you are planning to catch  a ferry from Italy to Sicily be aware that they may cancel  at the last minute, they phoned us on our way through France to say the ferry had been cancelled. We had to drive to Naples in the end and catch  a ferry to Catania, longer drive but shorter crossing.

Terry

Thanks for that terry, seeing as it's only 3 hours i might book a hotel in Palermo and drive to pozzallo in the morning to catch the 1930 boat

Thanks again
Andy

Hello again, I've booked a ferry from genoa to Palermo on Wednesday the 28th and I've been told it's a nightmare looking for the ticket office because the ports so big. If this is true can anyone help please ?

If you are sailing with GNV then this link gives you a google look at the docks.............

http://www.gnv.it/en/ferries-destinatio … guria.html

Never sailed from  Genoa so cant help but it will be sign posted and when you enter most dock  areas there are security people who will point you n the general direction.

Good luck

Terry

Ok thanks Terry

Hi Andy

Did you end up moving to Malta. If yes did you have any luck getting hgv job?

Thank you

Hi Andy
Did you end up moving to Malta. If yes did you have any luck getting hgv job?
Thank you
-@Chris Clayton007

You probably will not get a reply as this person does not participate on here anymore and the post is years old.

Good evening mam. Thank you for replying mail. I am sujoy I am looking for new job in Malta. I am a chef. I am looking for chef job in Malta. 8 years I have experience in. Demi chef de partie my position. So I hope you can help me find a job please.

Good evening mam. Thank you for replying mail. I am sujoy I am looking for new job in Malta. I am a chef. I am looking for chef job in Malta. 8 years I have experience in. Demi chef de partie my position. So I hope you can help me find a job please.
-@sujoyd769

Why are you asking the same question? We have replied to you on another thread. We are not a Job Agency, we can not find you work. We can only tell you to upload your CV in the job section. I am not sure why you post on a subject nothing to do with being a Chef?

Hello everyone,

This is an old thread ! Before we get more job request, I am closing it.

Members who are looking for work should post an advert and their CV in the Jobs in Malta section.

All the best,

Bhavna

[Thread Closed]

Closed