University in Belgium

I want to study Computer Engineering in Belgium(Flanders) but I am a little bit confused. My dad says that if I am a Belgian citizen I don't have to pay monthly tuition in some universities(like Uni. of Gehnt). Can someone explain this a little better for me please?

And I don't speak any Flemish, will this be a problem? I remember talking to someone who told me she did most of her studies in English. Do some universities have programs to help foreign students?

Thanks.

Hi dominique120,

Thank you for posting your message here. I am sure you will get some advices soon :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Your dad is wrong.

It's the same fees for all EU nationals.

EU nationals with very low income will pay nothing, but since fees are around 1000 euro a year, university is quite affordable here. I assume you can read Dutch or French? The details can be found on most if not all university websites.

For non EU nationals, fees are often still lower than in their home countries.

And there are hardly any undergrad courses in English. 99% of them are in Dutch (not Flemish as that's a region) or French or German. You can study philosophy at KULeuven or Busines at HUBrussel and not much else.

Look towards the Netherlands, many undergrad courses there in English and fees are low too for EU nationals. You even get paid a grant if you work part-time whilst studying.

Thank you for the useful information. 1000 Euros a year is nothing compared to what I would be forced to pay here in Peru. I can read Dutch but not to much, I am practicing though. I thought of NL but since I have family in Belgium and I can easily get citizenship for there I thought it was a better alternative.

Are there any Universities you recommend looking at as a starting point? (Computer Engineering or Physics)

Thank you

It's really not easy to Belgian nationality, you either have it already or you could take several years to get it, I'm talking 5 years minimum.

You'll have to do your own homework. Try using google. "university courses English XXXXland"

Yeah my partner is full Belgium lived here his whole life and he still had to pay something like 500  a year for his batchular and 1,000 for his maters, I also agree Nederlands is probs a better option. Basically from what I saw on the news some years ago when the fees in UK went up Nederlands started to create more courses in English to attract those students

I looked in into courses in English in NL and I hit the jackpot, there are courses everywhere in English.

And I probably should have clarified a bit, I never really meant free as in no cost at all. its just so much cheaper that here in Peru, where university costs like $1000+ a month.

Thank you all for your help.