Moving to Goiania

Mr. Woodward.
I lived in SP during 38 years... I know perfectly, maybe better then you about SP or Brazil because I was a 3 years girl when I went in Santos Port with my parents, I know SP, I grow in SP, I studied in Catholic College... and Mackenzie law school.
Mr Willian live only 11 years.
I married in SP, my children are paulistas...
I get many good "thinks" in my life, but, I loss more very important "thinks" , because the violence growing day by day, after 1980 decade... many times I went funerals, I cried, I lossed friends, part of me and more and more...
SP or Brazil is very beautiful country, very large, very open mind... but have the security problem involving every days, every minutes of the population.
Tired to support this situation I moved to Tokyo with my children.
Tokyo's life is hard, I work very hard, but I have no preocupations about my own security and I never more feel scare at each telephone calls.
It's my reasons to SUGGEST an other place to reborn to Mr. Dimitris if he is thinking in live with familie, thinking about new business, new life, new chances... unfortunelly...
I'm a new member os this forum, and I'm trying to help and support peoples asking about life in Japan or Brazil.
Of course, the world it's not peacefull at all but I can afirm that in Japan you fell secure.
Every word I post it's true... you know it's true...

Hi there i was there just after christmas and found it a very nice city, with nice people  i was staying with my wifes family and that are all Brazilians, some one them have worked in england, so its a good place with good people, and people that take the greats rusk noneley gain the greats reward,

off course, Brazilian population is a large piramid... there are many people well educated, hard workers, preocupated with the country future ... but otherwise, security problem it's a reality... if you take a look in sites like "WORLD DANGEROUS CITIES RANKING" probably  you will see many of Brazilian cities unfortunelly.
Guns problem, education problem, social differences are so hard. It's necessary strong police structure and political efforts to finish this situation...
The nature is very rich, many beautiful places ...I visited Manaus, Natal, Recife, Salvador, Brasilia, Uberlandia, Uberaba, Belo Horizonte, Campo Grande, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba, Florianopolis,Porto Alegre, Foz do Iguacu, and many other cities during 35 years I lived in Brazil and I know very well how beautiful are... but, this last 30 years dangerous situation is growing up... the medium class is the bandits target unfortunelly...

do you know its more dangerous to live in the USA than afghanistan
some people need to get a life, the most dangerous thing in Brazil is a car

yes ...this item is dangerous too...
Have a nice day...

Hi all! I know this is off topic of the latest conversation but there seems to be some very knowledgable people on this forum so here it goes. I'm planning on moving to goiania in January. I have been researching about the city and such and am wondering about cost of living, obtaining a visa, etc. Basically any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Collin

To give you any relevant information, you need to explain your objectives and background.

My objective is basically just to make enough money to survive for about a year or so. I have background as a handyman and as far as work goes anything would suffice!

Hi Wanttoexplore,

First off to stay in Brazil for a year you would need a VITEM-V work visa or VITEM-IV student visa. A VITUR tourist visa permits only 180 days per "rolling" year. A VITUR also does NOT permit you to work in Brazil.

In order to obtain a VITEM-V you must have a signed work contract with a Brazilian company.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Wanttoexplore,

I see you are from or living in the United States. I strongly advise you to visit Brazil before wasting your time or getting your hopes up for paradise only to be let down. You may, as an American not find Brazil worth the trouble. By no means am I saying I do not like Brazil. It just has a lot of things that are extremely annoying, painful and bureaucratic. I did not realize how bad it truly was until my 3rd trip here when I had to "apply for marriage" - an extremely lengthy process and quite ridiculous. I have more patience than other Americans, maybe you do too. But many of my friends would have done a U-turn within 5 days of being here :D

Read through some other recent posts on here too, just to get a feel for what other expats are dealing with.

And Portuguese is essential so practice practice practice because it will be hard to network or socialize with anyone other than expats if you do not. That wouldn't be too fun would it?

Matt V.
Visit my blog!

Wjwoodward  Thank you for the visa information! usmc_mv  as far as looking for paradise I'm not! I'm looking to live outside the united states and as my girlfriend is a brazillian national I want to go and learn about her culture and learn Portuguese as well.

Hi wantotexplore,
Usually people that want to go to Goiania is because got a girlfriend from there. If she is a local, her family may be able to find you something to do, but in any means, you are going to get enough money to live in the same standards as in the USA. You may need to share a house with her entire family, not have a private bathroom, or own a car. A handyman can make a decent living in the US, but in Brazil, they are on the bottom of the economic ladder. Would you be willing to make US$20 a day for heavy construction material lifting? And cost of living in Brazil is extremely high. As you were advised before, taking a few trips to Brazil would be very instructive. Another very important issue: many Brazilians cannot return to the US after leaving. So, think well if she is in this category. A Brazilian friend of mine that happened to be from Goiania married an undocumented Brazilian and moved back to Brazil thinking they could make big bucks. After a few months of unemployment, debts, and low standard of living, he left to America as he is a citizen, but she was left behind (apparently, she canŽt get a green card for she was arrested before for being illegal immigrant).

Wanttoexplore,

Excellent. I am here on the basis of a relationship too. All the best to you in your journey. It will be very beneficial knowing someone from Brazil throughout your exploration - in this case your girlfriend.

Matt V.
Visit my blog!

landinbrazil wrote:

Another very important issue: many Brazilians cannot return to the US after leaving. So, think well if she is in this category.

Hi landinbrazil,

Can you elaborate on the above quoted text? This concerns me if my spouse and I leave this country for the United States and he or I wants to return to Brazil. Nothing surprises me here anymore and I can only imagine either they are refused entry because they do not have a mother or father, a political dissident, etc.

For example - how can I ensure this nightmare does not happen to us?

Thanks,

Matt-
Visit my blog!

Hi Matt,
I used to live in California with a very large community from Goiania (it happened they were from Goiania, but could be from any place in Brazil). The great majority had entered the country to find work, live, raise a family, etc They immigrated to the US. Due to the immigration policy, many could not become legal residents or citizens, but can still keep living there, working honestly, buying homes, raising American born children. But those ones the had their tourist visa expired, or those ones that entered the country through Mexico or Canada, crossing the border on foot, once they leave the country, itŽs going to be very hard to return to the US without being caught by the Immigration at the airport. I personally know of many people being deported. That was my concern about his girlfriend leaving the US, unless she is willing to take a risk (in case she has her visa expired).
Now, for those who are legally married and have the proper residency card, no problem. However, I know many Brazilians married to Americans who live in Brazil and didnŽt apply for residency, they will need to find some other kind of visa to enter the US. I donŽt know the procedure.
hope this clarified a bit.
Laura Shimizu

Wantotoexplore,
I forgot to say something perhaps more important that the information I had previously given. ItŽs easier to save money in the US than to make money in Brazil. If I can say so, save up some money enough for six months (time that you can stay legally), and you donŽt have to go to trouble of finding a job and missing out on all the fun that is Brazil.
Unfortunately, Brazil is not like the US that you can go by just doing some dishes somewhere (like David Banner- the Hulk), pay for a hotel room, and travel around.
Good luck!

Ahhhh. I completely misunderstood your post. I thought you were referring to Brazilian citizens leaving Brazil not being able to return to Brazil. Okay, I feel much better now!

:D

Matt-
Visit my blog!

Landinbrazil that makes perfect sense, yet how much would one speculate it costing to live for 6 months in brazil?

Wanttoexplore,

How much you want to spend entirely depends on how lavishly you want to live. I spend between $1,800-2,500USD a mont but could easily live off of $1,500. You need to take into account where you want to live, if you want air conditioning, if you want to eat out every single meal and if so nice of a restaurant? My suggestion is to find an apartment. Although by doing so you kind of limit yourself to one city. If you do get an apartment it will cost a lot less than a hotel. Extended stay hotels simply do not exist in this country.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

As far as Brazilians not being able to re-enter the United States, anyone who enters the USA legally, doesn't overstay their visa and doesn't become involved in some kind of problems with the law won't have any problems whatsoever re-entering the USA in the future. I know dozens and dozens of Brazilians who routinely travel back-and-forth between Brazil and the USA. One need only travel to Newark, NJ or to Miami, FLA to see this is true. Miami/Orlando thrives on Brazilians who go their not only to visit Disney World and other theme parks, but also to shop for items that are much cheaper than they can buy here in Brazil.

If a Brazilian can't get back into the USA (or any other country) after having once been there, you can bet your bottom dollar it's because they've done something to run afowl of Customs & Border Protection or the INS.

It's the same in Canada too. I have many Brazilian friends in Vancouver where I lived before coming to Brazil. They are now all permanent residents and the come back to Brazil once or twice a year to visit family here. None of them have ever had any problem re-entering Canada either.

On the other hand, Brazilians are famous for trying to enter the USA illegally through Mexico, Newark and Miami. They get caught and sent back to Brazil immediately. Once that happens then they haven't a snowball's chance in Hell of ever being allowed to re-enter the USA legally.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

James,

Don't forget Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. These two US Territories left me with mainly Mexico and El Salvador deportations due to visa/immigration fraud or illegal entry.

Over the past 5 years Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (mainly PR) have become a illegal alien hub as these two airports maintain domestic flights to the US without the need for clearing CBP. However, disclaimer to the few bad apples that me read this - don't be fooled. Since 2009, CBP now places officer in the boarding gates on an unannounced and random basis. One way or another you will get caught and if you do try to enter or re-enter illegally will face a 5 to 10 year ban. A ban, regardless of length is essentially saying goodbye to any hope of ever getting a non-immigrant or immigrant visa - consider it a lifetime ban unless you have a very good reason to come back. Rarely does marriage ever qualify as an acceptable reason.

Due it the legal way or stay where you are.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

Wanttoexplore,
It all depends on where you want to live and how you want to live. Tipically single children live their parents (or even married children) for paying a rent is seeing as wasting money, as they can save up and buy a little house elsewhere, or even build behind their parents house.
It seemed to me that you want to have live here for a year as if you were living back in the US. You already found out that you may run into visa problems if you overstay 180 days. So, letŽs plan for 6 months. Most rental agreement asks for at least a year, but in Goiânia, you may be able to get a "barracão", which is an in-law house. That is a lot cheaper than regular homes. Trying to rent an apartment in downtown is going to be expensive and virtually impossible for lack of documentation, being the most important ones the steady proof of income and garantors. Or you may live with her parents. In case you donŽt need to pay rent, you will have to pay for food, which may be cheaper if you ate at home and shared meals. It is expensive to rent a house, buy or rent a car, eat out, and have a nightlife. But many Brazilians like to bbq on weekends with loud music and dancing, so you will have lots of fun even without paying much. If you plan to do something else (trip around Brazil), that will cost you quite a bit because you will be a tourist, and will pay a tourist price. But Goiânia has lots of rural style attractions (farms, fishing, sertanejo music, fairs) and city attractions as well, besides, Goiânia have very friendly people living there. You will be welcome.

I am planning to move to Goiana in the next 6 months, leaving Sarasota, Florida.  I am bringing my 27ib poodle mix.  I am worried about his travel in cargo and interested in best ways to bring some of my personal houseware items over.  I am visiting my som and grandchildren in May to price out apartments near Setor Bueno sector, appliances and basic furniture needed.  I have been to Goias many times in the past 8 years and know that being a part of my son and grandchildren's lives is valid right now.  I have taken early retirement from the schools as a speech therapist.  I have been offered work teaching english in various schools, as my son has been teaching now for many years.  Currently I have a 10 yr visa good for 90 days/visit.  I am hoping to obtain a card that will allow me to stay longer.  I am also unsure of how to manage money in any banks in Brasil.  Reading online, it sounds as if HSBC is the only bank that may allow me to open an account.  I welcome any suggestions, comments, advice!

Dear friend jbm44sjt:

You are very welcome to Goiânia. I also live at Setor Bueno. Firstly let us excuse for the current conditions our city will offer because of our poor space management and real estate exploitation in general. Our state government have been working to fix it but that is not an easy job.

The good news is that our banks love to make new customers. As good examples I may mention Banco Itaú (privately held) and Banco do Brasil (public sector). Mainly Banco Itaú, Banco HSBC, and Banco Santander are those that have a large number of branches out of Brazil, and there are a couple to several services offered to help you send/receive money to/from a foreign country. In your daily transactions, avoid using credit cards and internet banking due to high interest rates and security reasons. Prefer using debit cards and be sure not to have obvious passwords. Talking about banking, the bad news is that taxes and interest rates here are really high.

For your health, when you come, be sure to buy an humidifier for the dry season and at least a pair of galoshes for the wet season (we have basically these two). Also, a nice air conditioner will certainly help during the whole year.

Also, you must be aware of the special condition of our public safety policies and conditions, so it is nice to talk to your family about strategies in order to avoid violence, robberies, kidnappings, thefts, etc.

I and my wife are in Brazil still because of our families. Here we share really good moments together, specially when we go to the countryside, sing along some local music, make a barbecue at home, etc. Nothing compares to the sensation of being together with our beloved ones.

I expect to be of help any time you need and I'm sorry I think I seem rude about my own city.

All the best!
Pedro Carneiro Jr.
Goiania - GO - Brazil

Hi jbm44sjt,

Unfortunately you won't be able to open a Brazilian bank account unless you have a VIPER Permanent Visa or a VITEM-V Work Visa, the banks just won't do it otherwise. It's even difficult with those visas. You will also need a CPF (equivalent to a SS number in the US), proof of address in Brazil, you may be asked for proof of income and other things as well. I'd advise opening an account with HSBC in the USA since that will allow you to use all HSBC Brazil ATMs and others in public places that network to HSBC to make withdrawals on your US account. You won't be able to deposit through ATMs here and you also can't make point of sale debit card purchases here either. Your MC or Visa will be accepted here no problem.

Regarding your dog, sounds like it's too big to fit under the seat in the cabin so that's out. I don't know if such a long trip in the cargo hold would be more than the poor thing could handle. Really don't know what other options you have there.

You have a VITUR Tourist Visa which allows an initial 90 day stay, you can extend that by a further 90 days at the Federal Police nearest where you're going to be living in Goiânia. You can't legally work or study in Brazil on a VITUR. In fact, you can't even apply for a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho) unless you have either of the previously mentioned visas. I don't know if any of the language schools would even offer to help with the visa process for the VITEM-V. That's not a common thing for schools to do.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

jbm44sjt wrote:

I am planning to move to Goiana in the next 6 months, leaving Sarasota, Florida.  I am bringing my 27ib poodle mix.  I am worried about his travel in cargo and interested in best ways to bring some of my personal houseware items over.  I am visiting my som and grandchildren in May to price out apartments near Setor Bueno sector, appliances and basic furniture needed.  I have been to Goias many times in the past 8 years and know that being a part of my son and grandchildren's lives is valid right now.  I have taken early retirement from the schools as a speech therapist.  I have been offered work teaching english in various schools, as my son has been teaching now for many years.  Currently I have a 10 yr visa good for 90 days/visit.  I am hoping to obtain a card that will allow me to stay longer.  I am also unsure of how to manage money in any banks in Brasil.  Reading online, it sounds as if HSBC is the only bank that may allow me to open an account.  I welcome any suggestions, comments, advice!

Your dog will be fine as they are kept in a pressurized part of the aircraft. However, it could be a long flight and the airline will make you sign a declaration holding them harmless for anything that may happen to your dog.

Opening a bank account as James said is impossible. You need to have your RNE and proof of income to open an account. The other option is having a "temporary" visa which is applying for permanency at the DPF and receiving a protocol. This will allow you to open a savings account at Bradesco. After being to 6 different banks, and over 15+ branches Bradesco was the only bank willing to open the account. You are REQUIRED to have proof of address which is another complicated nightmare in itself. Make sure you have a declaration if you try, and are arriving requesting permanency based on family reunion.

BTW: I am in Tampa. Send me a PM if you want to talk further over the phone.

All the best!

Welcome Dimar0,

I hope I've reached you before you open your restaurant. I would love to have a Greek restaurant to dine at each weekend. Goiania is filled with people who have traveled and returned changed. I retired here 7 months ago from the USA (NYC) and I am very happy I did. Brasilians love their food fresh so I believe Greek cuisine would go over very well. Just pick one of the more upscale locations. I would also warn that you should be prepared financially for a longer break even cycle than you would expect from say, NYC. Please let me know when you open-I promise to bring a crowd! Yazooo!

Wow, great blog! Moving to Goiania this year, currently building a house there. Can't wait to start our next journey living abroad. Hopefully there is a good network of expats to BS with and possibly party with!

I am glad to see that you've prepared for your new life here in GO, GO.( my little nick name). I think there is a way to send my info to you in a private email. Please look for it.