Moving to Guangzhou - need friends

Hello you lovely people out there :)

I'll be moving to Guangzhou to teach next month  and i suppose as it is with most people who decide to move somewhere new, the sorts of things they will be asking are "will I make friends?" , "how am I gonna be able to get around?" etc.

I can't speak a word of Chinese - though my company will offer free mandarin classes - that should help somewhat.

So for starters I'm looking to meet other Westerners but if you are a local and can speak a good English/have lived outside China , please please please do get in touch too!! 

My hobbies are - a good chat and a cup of tea/coffee, strolling in town, sports - i LOVE sports - almost any will do but especially ping-pong, tennis, volleyball, indoor hockey (floorball), machine-dance etc.  Then also having a quiet night in - works wonders.

I look forward to hearing from you all :)

Igor [read: ee-gorrr]

Welcome to the guangzhou, hope you will like the heat here :)

i'd like to know where you are come from.

ivywei wrote:

Welcome to the guangzhou, hope you will like the heat here :)

Heat is fine. Its the humidity im worried about. Not something we get much in Europe. :/

Hey,I am a local in Guangzhou.If you need any help or any information when you travel in Guangzhou, I would like to help. Hope you enjoy your new life here!:)

yes, that humidity is terrible sometime, just make the people feel tired...but that will not last long. but i think u will find a lot other things you like in china :)

Hi there,

Just be carefull here. 'Cause local people are sooo sly. ( not everyone) When you do buy in large areas ( like - market.etc)
if the shirt coast 30 Chinese Dollar , they'd say 50 or 100 dollars.
Cuase I have had a lot of moments like that. I from Kazakhstan , and I my first language is Russian ,I'm learning chinese here.  when I speak chinese I have a accent. So, If You speak chinese with accent, they sell to you expensive ( very very very expensive).'Cause they think that foreigners has a lot of money and frivolous. well, dude BE CAREFULL HERE. good luck.

P.S sorry for my poor english grammar.

Alan9508 wrote:

Hi there,

Just be carefull here. 'Cause local people are sooo sly. ( not everyone) When you do buy in large areas ( like - market.etc)
if the shirt coast 30 Chinese Dollar , they'd say 50 or 100 dollars.
Cuase I have had a lot of moments like that. I from Kazakhstan , and I my first language is Russian ,I'm learning chinese here.  when I speak chinese I have a accent. So, If You speak chinese with accent, they sell to you expensive ( very very very expensive).'Cause they think that foreigners has a lot of money and frivolous. well, dude BE CAREFULL HERE. good luck.

P.S sorry for my poor english grammar.

no worries mate, its cool. and thanks for your advice. I am aware of the various scams. I am in Shanghai at the moment for a training but will be down in Foshan/Guangzhou area after first of August.

Here in Shanghai i have already got ripped off twice - once buying fruits from a local street lady - e.g. grapes were 13 RMB per 1/2 kilo - she charged me 26 RMB (i saw her DOING IT right in front of me!!!!!! apples - normally 4.5 RMB - i got charged 9 etc.

So i will be buying only from supermarkets or convienience stores since they have to scan the price before they sell it!

I dont speak chinese at all so its impossible to argue with them or even ask for directions - i will start learning as my company provides free lessons.

We can meet up in Guangzhou if you'd like. I can help you improve your English too :)

Let me know if you're game!

Coco To wrote:

Hey,I am a local in Guangzhou.If you need any help or any information when you travel in Guangzhou, I would like to help. Hope you enjoy your new life here!:)

Hey there!

Thanks for your kindness. Yes I would like to meet some local people. I will be arriving on 1st August from Shanghai where I'm currently undergoing a training.

Let me know if you're free at some point :)

ivywei wrote:

yes, that humidity is terrible sometime, just make the people feel tired...but that will not last long. but i think u will find a lot other things you like in china :)

thanks ivywei.

Yeah its very hot up here in Shanghai too at the moment. Scorching heat !!  I will be in G. in less than 2 weeks but im trying to make friends before I even get there :)  so if you're up for a drink or something, let me know. Also my ZERO ability to speak chinese doesnt help, so help from a local would be very nice.

tc ;)

Yep, the sellers such a awful.

Yeah , You are right about buy fruits on small street. Once I've buy a apple . only one apple may coast 1 RMB or 1.5 RMB maximum. I accidently asked How much it coast, then she said " Only one apple ?? ok , take it for 5 RMB " then I " WTF????? OMG Are You crazy? You think you're smart or what ???, I'm sorry , I will not buy it , You make me soo sad." and once I was looking for Canadian Flag , so , One chinese girl noticed that I'm not from around here, then She said can help me to find Canadian Flag , then she said to wait for her here, and she gonna find it and bring to me. so , she found it and bring to me . then I asked How much it coast , she said 50 RMB. and I agreed on the price. Then I found the flag in market and it coast only 15 RMB OHHHH my GOOOOSH ... I was soooooo stupid .... after that I never trust to Chinese people ... I not sure , maybe they don't like people like us ??? who knows!!! 

Yep, I'd be glad to meet to You in Guangzhou , and show ya city. I have lot of friends from New Zealand and Australia. But , they are not in China right now . And my Dad gonna come to China to open buisnes ( I'm not sure, buisnes or some shit like that XD )
and I may back to my coutry . I not sure now . If I will be here . I'd be glad to help ya. Anyways, keep touch. it is my VK page. vk.com/a.erkin95

P,S sorry for poor grammar

If You need some information. Feel free , just contact to me.  [email protected] or [email protected]

are u coming here for the business or just be as a teacher?

Hiya,
I'm living in guangzhou at the moment and would love for some company, I've only been here 5 days and its so lonely already :(

I don't know a word of Chinese either so its hard for me to get around and stuff.

I would love to meet up, and actually have a good conversation without having to explain what i mean! Don't get me wrong the people here are lovely but theres nothing like a bit of home you know?

If you want to meet up or something drop me an email :)

Natalie_Graham69[at]hotmail.co.uk

Hopefully speak soon
Natalie x

all you mentioned are sellers, they can't represent chinese people! as far as i have been told from my foreign friends, all they said local people are friedly and kind!

Ryuk21_xpatkid wrote:
ivywei wrote:

thanks ivywei.

Yeah its very hot up here in Shanghai too at the moment. Scorching heat !!  I will be in G. in less than 2 weeks but im trying to make friends before I even get there :)  so if you're up for a drink or something, let me know. Also my ZERO ability to speak chinese doesnt help, so help from a local would be very nice.

tc ;)

hopefully you will have nice time in GZ, no worry about heat here, since it has been raining for several days:)

ivywei wrote:

what do you mean by "just a teacher" ?? I am a young graduate and in the future, I wish to become a university professor in business & intercultural communication so I am here to get professional experience as well as life experience.

Michelle1118 wrote:

all you mentioned are sellers, they can't represent chinese people! as far as i have been told from my foreign friends, all they said local people are friedly and kind!

Oh don't worry I totally believe that! Most people are nice but there are also many who are rather dishonest or even hostile not just towards the foreigners but also each other. Poverty in Shanghai and other big cities lurks around virtually every corner. Just walk two minutes from your hotel or your house and turn left/right into an alley and you see it. But then again...this is also the case in many already "developed" nations too. So my point is - good and bad people are to be found anywhere!

Ryuk21_xpatkid wrote:
ivywei wrote:

what do you mean by "just a teacher" ?? I am a young graduate and in the future, I wish to become a university professor in business & intercultural communication so I am here to get professional experience as well as life experience.

Michelle1118 wrote:

Oh don't worry I totally believe that! Most people are nice but there are also many who are rather dishonest or even hostile not just towards the foreigners but also each other. Poverty in Shanghai and other big cities lurks around virtually every corner. Just walk two minutes from your hotel or your house and turn left/right into an alley and you see it. But then again...this is also the case in many already "developed" nations too. So my point is - good and bad people are to be found anywhere!

yeah, that is my point, don't be so picky, real life should be like this, you can see many types of people. were the sellers wrong of being dishonest, maybe yes, maybe no,but that is the way they earn for theie living. anyway, ignoring this tiny things, i think most of chinese treat foreigners respectfully and friendly.:)  can you guys tell me if you agree with me ?

Hi there,

This is Emily, welcome to Guangzhou in the first day.
I am the local girl in here. As you said, you like sport.
So do you have any interest to go outside to climb mountains or something interest stuff?

I am the girl who like to meet new friends.
My e-mail is [email protected]

So far, i am doing the part-time interpreter & foreign trading business.
Flexible time to do what i am interested.~_~

" Yes I would like to meet some local people. I will be arriving on 1st August from Shanghai where I'm currently undergoing a training. "

Welcome to Guangzhou. I hope you had a smooth trip from Shanghai to here.
Today,1st August is the China's Army Day.

hey there, where you at in GZ?
i am about hr away from GZ and would like to make some new friends here as well

i was working in shanghai since 2012 and had JUST been relocated in Qingyuan ((hmmmmm a city? a county thing i guess))

Hi liga jumpooho,

Welcome to Expat-Blog ;)

Feel free to post your questions on the forum or to start a new thread :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

thank ya

Maximilien wrote:

Hi liga jumpooho,

Welcome to Expat-Blog ;)

Feel free to post your questions on the forum or to start a new thread :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

welcome to guangzhou....

im latin girl, hope you like and have fun is a bautiful city.

wish you the best.

GZ is big and meeting new friends won't be that difficult. You can join gzstuff.

Hi,

I'm a local Cantonese, and currently living in Jakarta. I'm moving back to Guangzhou mid of August. And I also need to know some new friends.

Besides, I love sports too!!! I have a place to play volleyball, we can go there one time if you want.

Enjoy your time in Guangzhou! See you

it seems difficult to get the place for volleyball.

Welcome! If you come to Foshan, I can show you some interesting places in the city.

I am a medical student in guangzhou.... been here for three years already. know the city pretty well . want to meet new people and make some friends...

Well I can understand what you mean exactly. Been here quite a long time and have faced the same problem. If you want to hang out sometime let me know. It is always good to make new friends:)

Well, not if you've been playing volleyball in GZ for 15 years :)

Kebe Tang wrote:

Hi,

I'm a local Cantonese, and currently living in Jakarta. I'm moving back to Guangzhou mid of August. And I also need to know some new friends.

Besides, I love sports too!!! I have a place to play volleyball, we can go there one time if you want.

Enjoy your time in Guangzhou! See you

Hi there. I should be finally arriving next Sunday the 18th so when I'm there - lets do some volleyball or anything else you want :) Cant wait to get active again. :)

just sent you an inbox ryuk21, but hit us up if you want to meet up when I return at the end of the month. Good luck for your move.

Finally, a cool guy who seeks friends via sports or activities. It is a big relief that you did not start your posted discussion as "Looking for new friends, let's have a DRINK or CLUBBING".

Welcome to Guangzhou.
Count me in you like open sea fishing and hiking (the real hiking).

Hi Ryuk21,

Do you like living in Guangzhou so far? Share your experiences.

I would also be moving to Guqngzhou for a project in Chinese subsidary of my Company at the end of Sept. I really need to make new friends to go out,do sports and explore China ;). Although I have traveled alot in Europe but China would be something totally different especially language and cultural differences might make it harder to find peers.

Also can someone propose me good locations to live in GZ as I need to propose something for my apartment. I would be working in GETDD area but need to live somewhere closer to city center or expat zone :)

Cheers all,
Sabih

Hello,

This is Joe, i am a Chinese, and working/living in Guangzhou so far. I had been 8 years in Beijing, i love the western culture, and i'd love to make friends with foreigners, i had some in BJ before i moved here.

If you need the friend who can speak EN and CN, please feel free to contact me.

Have a nice time in Guangzhou!

Joe

Hey,

I am Lukas I am new here in Guangzdou. Maybe we can arrange some meeting in the weekend, with interested people go to pubs etc.

Looking forward hearing from you.
Lukas

P.S. If anybody is interested feel free to contact: [email protected]

Great idea.
When i was in Jakarta, the people also arrange some lunch or dinner gathering to meet new people
Maybe we can also have something like this

Hi There,
May be I can show you around in Guangzhou on weekends.

By the way, I am a good hand at Pingpong. Let'w meet together to play. Wish you good life in Guangzhou.

Wannie from Guangzhou