Please advise on the job offer I have received to move to Riyadh

Hi

I am British and have been offered a job teaching English in Riyadh.  I am female and will be expecting to bring my husband with me.  The company have offered me £1800 salary, plus £450 accommodation allowance and £180 towards travel costs.  Will we be able to easily rent a 1 bed furnished apartment close to King Saud or Princess Noor universities?  Also how much rent do you think we will be paying?  My husband doesn't drive and I obviously won't be able to so what are the transport links like?
Thanks, any help appreciated.

Plenty to read here about cost of living:

https://www.expat.com/forum/424-22-cost … iyadh.html

There's also the guide:

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/middle-e … ation.html

Re 'transport links': there are taxis and private drivers.  No public transportation to speak of.

Good luck!

kim60 wrote:

Hi

I am British and have been offered a job teaching English in Riyadh.  I am female and will be expecting to bring my husband with me.  The company have offered me £1800 salary, plus £450 accommodation allowance and £180 towards travel costs.  Will we be able to easily rent a 1 bed furnished apartment close to King Saud or Princess Noor universities?  Also how much rent do you think we will be paying?  My husband doesn't drive and I obviously won't be able to so what are the transport links like?
Thanks, any help appreciated.

Risking being called rude but
that is TOO low !

I suggest you read those links Allie posted. I fear you maybe walking straight into a huge problem.

Also, you need to really be sure they'll allow you to bring hubby.  The recruiters often promise you the moon and then, last minute, you find out differently.

Good luck!

I have to agree, i am not going to be rude either but from experience after the stress i have experienced from this process. This 1). You should never except the first offer ever!!! they want to see how desperate people are to come to KSA if you show too much interest they no you have enough going for you back home, mention to them your getting offered the same package in the UK 2) i agree with Allie cat verify with the saudi government you can bring your husband over their have been many cases where this can not happen usually 90% of the time only husband can sponsor family members.

I would be glad to help but there is some information that will tell you what you should be looking at.

1) The Colour of your passport (UK Hence Red)
2). Place of Birth
3). Years of Experience
4). Education / Qualifications & Universities
5). Are you Phd Qualified ? or just a lecturer
6). How many Years experience and where have u worked?

Please for give me if i am wrong but you seem like some one who has maybe a degree with a PGCE in English and i would say about 3 - 4 years experience even this is too low.

I would negotiate the following

Salary  £2500
Transport £250 (avg taxi would cost you 550 SAR per month to and from work)
Housing allowance £550
free medical, housing and travel

Hopefully they will meet u in the middle about £2200 salary.