Teaching English in Costa Rica

Hi,
I may be teaching English in Costa Rica soon. My Spanish is pretty good. My wife is a medical assistant who does not speak Spanish. What opportunities are there for her? I would appreciate a response from somebody living in Costa Rica who knows the area.

Thanks
Adam Abady

Hello Adam Abady.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

What are her qualifications?
Is she looking for work in medical sector?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Aurelie,

She is a medical assistant with many year of experience. I think she is going to get her RN degree once we have the funds. My feeling is she could find work in the medical sector if she was a fluent Spanish speaker. I may be coming to Costa Rica to teach English possibly in March. Are you a French speaker? I also speak French.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

Your wife would need to be permitted to work in Costa Rica which is not likely unless there is a real need for a particular vocation. Teaching English does not pay extremely well but it is one of the few jobs foreigners can do without being hassled too much as native English speakers are preferred.

Hola Adam,

Based on what a Gringo doctor that works at CIMA told me, it is very easy for Americans that are in the medical profession to obtain work visas. 

You could always contact them and ask:  http://cimahospital.com/start.html

- Dave