Safety driving to Belize thru Mexico

How safe is it to drive from Brownsville, TX to Chetemal, Mex?

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t … s_970.html

Thanks for information. Do you know of any problems related to bringing our pet thru Mexico when we move to Belize in Summer of 2014? I'm aware that I can ship my car along w/household goods and pay no excise tax if I have my QRP status. But, driving would have an advantage in that I'd have a car available when I arrive not to mention being able to avoid stress on my pet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks. RICK

I haven't made this drive yet, so I'd like to hear more as well!  I have been reading some of the blogs on this site and although I can't recall who it is right now, one of them gave day by day accounts of their drive down. When I run across it again I'll get back to you.

I drove from Nogales to Corozal Belize. But if I were you I'd not use Brownsville, go through another border crossing farther north.

Stay on toll roads don't venture off on side roads. Hide your money and credit cards. If you get robbed or stopped by the police, they usually take whats in your wallet.

Drive during the day, do your homework and try and have a hotel booked for the night before you enter Mexico.

Enter Mexico as soon as the border opens, have a copy of your Mexican insurance and passport ready look for the port of entry they will give you a driving permit.

Be prepared to pay a toll at every town it helps to exchange for peso's before entering. But you can find ATM's at some gas stations.

Take your dog to the vet a few days before you leave, the dog has to have a health certificate. I brought my dog and never even mentioned it to the Mexicans, seemed they could care less. But depending how long you stay in Mexico you will need it to leave Mexico. The U.S. if you stay to long will require you to have a health certificate issued in Mexico to bring your dog back.

Follow what I said and you should be able to avoid any trouble. Also be prepared to be stopped at check points by armed guards, just show them your passport and they will wave you through. Good luck

Well I realized I'd saved this blog in my bookmarks, so here is the link http://achowinbelize.blogspot.com
Its a couple years old but gives some interesting info in their drive down as well as shipping their household things in a container.  Their email is linked to the blog so maybe you can contact them as well.
  Hope this helps!

Hawk, how long was your drive?

Thanks for feedback. If I'm driving from S.FL. across I-10 thru MS, LA, and TX., I assumed Brownsville would be the place to cross into Mexico. But, let me know where you think would be better. Also, I was thinking I could make it to Corozal from US/MEX border by stopping in Varacruz (looks like about 1/2 way point). Would that be feasible (about 640-650 miles for 2 days. Driving 650 miles for Days 1 and 2 (FL to border)would seem reasonable, but I'm not sure if that would be feasible for Days 3 & 4. Please advise. You mentioned toll roads, but I'm not sure where they are. How would I go about finding locations? THANKS.

Nogales is in Arizona, so my drive was about 2400 miles, I was in Mexico for 5 days, but I did get lost twice lol.

I drove from Santa Cruz California. so when it was all over I drove about 3200 miles. Plus I pulled a trailer

I don't see you doing 650 miles a day in Mexico, when you pass through small towns they have speed bumps that will total your car if you hit them faster than a few miles an hour.

If you only drive by day its not possible.

Laredo is one place and there are others, but Brownville is really not safe. But by crossing when the border opens you may avoid robbers who sleep late.

Ha!  I'm navigationally challenged so I always expect to get lost! Mexico might not be the place for that though.  I have heard of convoy like groups of people that travel together across the country.  Have you heard of this and would that be a safer option if indeed someone could find several other vehicles going the same direction?

From CAL. it probably makes sense to cross at Arizona but that would be WAY OUT OF OUR WAY considering we're driving from S.FL. How are the roads--if I stay near the coast (Gulf of Mex.)? How long have you lived in Corozal and how do you like living there? We are having a house built in the Royal Colony Estates and plan to make our permanent move next May or June. (I'm retiring.) We will be there in March (flying to Cancun and taking bus to Corozal) to make final arrangements re house. Look forward to meeting you once we get settled. By the way, I'm a HUGE Dodger fan (note by ID tag!! LOL!!)

I'll give you some other advice take it or leave it. Don't leave the toll road to stay in Vera cruz. Find a hotel on the toll highway.

I wasn't suggesting ARIZ. I was answering the other Lady...I suggested north of Brownville...did you see Laredo? Look at a map there are other places in Texas to cross.

I have to run, but feel free to e-mail me anytime, and I'll answer all your questions if I can. have a great day

[email protected]

canoe-mom wrote:

Ha!  I'm navigationally challenged so I always expect to get lost! Mexico might not be the place for that though.  I have heard of convoy like groups of people that travel together across the country.  Have you heard of this and would that be a safer option if indeed someone could find several other vehicles going the same direction?

That would be a great way to do it, I tried to find other people doing that but was not successful.

Gotta Fly....later

We have now driven twice--once down (Nov 2012) and once back (May 2013)--planning to drive back again in 2014. LOVED the trip! Absolutely no issues whatsoever!
We crossed the border in McAllen, TX. I have the trip on my blog: belize-us.blogspot.com - check the November 2012 posts.  If you're interested, I also have a word document if you'd like the route as well...just pm me.
A couple of observations: drive during the daylight, stay on the toll roads in the center of the country...as for the military and federales--they're the good guys, the ones to be wary of are the local policia.
Expect to be stopped, by the military, on either side of each state line throughout the country-pretty easy stops, they just ask where you were and where you're going, we were only "searched" once--they asked us to open one suitcase and all they did was look in, we had a total of 6 suitcases and several boxes of personal items in the back of our Jeep. They now utilize drug dogs and Gamma radiation at the state lines.
Hope this helps!
Have a wonderful journey!

Hi there, I noticed you mentioned Royal Colony Estates, we own there too.  at 1829 the 2 bed 2 bath house.  Did u see it? On what lot are u building.  It's a really nice place; George and his family are very  helpful and he does a good job on the houses.
Any questions just message me, we are glad to welcome you to the neighborhood.  Dave & Glynis

Wow!!! Does that ever make me feel good that we already have a neighbor BEFORE we actually move (either late May/early June). The lot is directly across the street probably from your house. I'm not sure of the address....Linda might know...but as you come past the guard house, you proceed past the pool (on left) and at the next street, the lot is on the LEFT across from a house that's occupied (yours maybe?).

We plan to come in MARCH (around the 5th or 6th), stay for 4-5 days, rent a place, see George to discuss construction, work out details w/ Atlantic Bank, etc. then catch bus back to Cancun and stay for 4-5 days before returning to South FL on Sat. 3/15.

I'm nearly retired (work P/T- private practice in mental health as consultant/therapist in various nursing homes). My target date to retire "for real" (as the kids say) is late May. Linda is ready anytime & gives me grief for being a workaholic. LOL!!

Anyway, enough rambling for now. Look forward to meeting you.
RICK DAY & LINDA      Boynton Beach, FL. (561) 777-8774

we are just part timers for now ; our friends also own a share in the house for now that works for all of us.
Dave & I will be down Nov 4 to Dec 5th; maybe you could make a quick trip over, otherwise we will probably do a spring trip too, you never know; we could be there when you come for your planning trip.
anyways, keep in touch, any questions just ask, we may have the answer!

Just a thought.....when we come on March 5 (4-5 days in Corozal & 4-5 days in Cancun---catch bus from Cancun to Corozal and back to S. FL. on 3/15), we'll stay at Coral Cottages downtown. But, when we make PERMANENT move in LATE MAY/EARLY JUNE, we plan to rent for a month while George is completing the construction. My question is: would you consider renting your house for a month or for whatever time it takes for George to finish? The advantage to us, of course, would be that we'd be right across the street to check in on progress George is making and correct any mistakes or clarify any issues. The advantage to you would be you'd have some extra income during that time. Since we'll be your neighbors, I can assure you that we'd do everything in our power to make sure that you wouldn't have to worry about anything. This is merely an idea I wanted to run by you. If it works, that's great....if it doesn't, then that will be OK also. Thanks. RICK DAY, PH.D. and LINDA

We will be driving a big rig 18 wheeler probably 2 X 20 feet cargo containers and a Chevy truck
Here are some pictures of it still empty:
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900038-100.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900041-574.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900044-361.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900049-843.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900057-155.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900066-350.jpg_t.jpg
http://img.claspics.com/b18eetc/hip96umc/1372900024-811.jpg_m.jpg

So in our case stopping at the hotel will be impossible. We are trying to get at least 2-3 drivers and drive it thought to Corozal.
Any comments will be appreciated.

The previous 2 posts / pictures did not worked.
Here is my website ( still under construction )

belizefinalapproach.com/

Hi all
  My question is fuel on the trip down, I am driving my f350 diesel in september are there a lot of places to get fuel? also would love to find a group to drive with.
Captain Dave

super833 wrote:

Hi all
  My question is fuel on the trip down, I am driving my f350 diesel in september are there a lot of places to get fuel? also would love to find a group to drive with.
Captain Dave

Capt Dave--you'll find diesel at Pemex throughout Mexico -- Most stations in Belize also have diesel. Sorry, we won't be driving back down until 2014..
Have a safe trip!