Short term lets

I was hoping to spend 6 to 12 months in Malta but thanks to this forum and other sources I now know that given my circumstances I have to make do with a 90 day visit. 

Since a long term let is out of the question I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about short term lets that are not at hotel room prices.  Ideally, I don't want to spend more than 700 Euro a month.  Is this even possible??

All I need is a studio or one bedroom with reliable internet.  I don't think an apartment share will work because I am often on the phone with clients in a different time zone so I really think I need my own place.  Don't want to bother anyone.

My stay will likely be in the spring, leaving by mid June.  I am looking at Sliema or St. Julian's.

Any advice is appreciated.

Try Quicklets

or the many pages on Facebook - especially the ex pats malta groups pages... everything is possible with a little effort

I didn't even think about checking Facebook groups.  I see there are quite a few.

Thanks!

To be clear, I have put some effort into finding suitable accommodation.  It's true that I am asking for furniture and utilities included in the price.  The problem I see is that most places seem to charge hotel rates.

I guess my question is can I get a monthly rate for a modest place that is a little bit more than the long term let price but less than 30 euro a night?  I can't seem to find any places that meet that criteria.

When we were looking for similar type accommodation for April we could only find self-catering apartments in Bugibba area. St Julians and Sliema were more expensive. And now it's holiday season when most property owners make their money!!

I'll copy your original post to a couple of people I know.
However, one is in the UK at the moment for Glasto so it may take a few days for any response.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Biddy I, found the same thing.  I am trying to avoid Bugibba if possible.  Certainly more available there though so at least it's an option. 

Redmik, keep me posted, and thanks!

Hi a_a,

Let me know exactly for how long you're looking to stay in Malta and I might be also able to find someone you can help you.

Good luck!

Hi

In Malta summer rates start for most self catering apartments/ short lets on 1st May, so you may have to go north! or at least further away from St Julian's/ Sliema.

yes i can help you find a place in sliema as i know of a block that does short lets

a_a wrote:

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Biddy I, found the same thing.  I am trying to avoid Bugibba if possible.  Certainly more available there though so at least it's an option. 

Redmik, keep me posted, and thanks!

Do you have a date you need accomodation from?

[Moderated: Please post an ad in Housing section]

I am sure I can get you an equivalent or larger, less expensive, just let me know the dates you want it for.

send me your email and i will help you out.

I can't thank you all enough for the help.  The dates I am looking for are the first week of March through the first week of June 2014.  Yes, it is a long way out but I have to plan this far ahead because of work etc. 

Much appreciated.

a_a wrote:

I can't thank you all enough for the help.  The dates I am looking for are the first week of March through the first week of June 2014.  Yes, it is a long way out but I have to plan this far ahead because of work etc. 
Much appreciated.

I have passed that on to Quicklets.
PM me your email addy.

[email protected]

a student can earn how much in part time job and what is the normal living expense in malta

any one can guide me??

Hi,

My understanding is min wage which is around 700 EUR full-time and part-time would be half this depending on hours (monthly).

I can only guess as I am not living in Malta as yet but (not inc. rent) I would suggest around 100 EUR a month for utilities. I have understood that clothes can be a little expensive but I guess depends on how much of a savy shopper you are.

Hope the above helps a little.

bilal124khan wrote:

a student can earn how much in part time job and what is the normal living expense in malta

any one can guide me??

If arriving on  STUDENT visa then you cannot work.

Terry

ok thanks terry

Terry is correct.

Non-EU students are not allowed to work at all during their first study year.

After the first year (12 months) a maximum of 10 hours per week are allowed.

Working illegally on a student visa regularily leads to the visa being revoked and the student having to leave.

You have to show your finances anyway to get accepted to study in the EU so you cannot include income from work in Malta or the EU .

Cheers
Ricky

i know of a place where you can stay in sliema.

Hi,

I'm wondering if you can help me. I want to stay in st Julian's or sliema (or within walking distance) for three months starting mid may 2014. I understand that the peak season is just starting but i feel that being charged the high weekly rental rates for a three month tenancy is too expensive (plus i cant afford it!) If you know of any properties in this area (1 bed or studio) for a maximum of 500 per month please contact me as soon as possible, it will be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

Hope I can help.

Try quicklets.com.mt I think it is or simonmamo.com. Some agencies only do a min of 6 months. Simon Mamo can do everything via email and phone but final contract signing would be upon arrival so probably best to have a hotel for the first night or 2 depending on what you arrange with them.

Hope the above helps.

Chris

P.S. Booked an apartment with Simon Mamo via phone and email a week ago arriving on 12th May. Very good to deal with 300EUR a month.