How to bring your pet into Vietnam

How to Transport Your Pet to Vietnam
By: [email protected]

First off, there is no quarantine period; I guess the government felt there would be a publicity nightmare from dogs getting eaten by government workers while in quarantine!  For the record, rarely do Vietnamese people in the main cities eat dog at all, it is usually in the rural areas that dog is popular because they are poorer and need to eat whatever is available.  Many Vietnamese people haven't even tried dog before so don't worry, no one will eat your dog as long as you don't let it roam the streets freely, in which case it is 100 times more likely to get ran over by a motorcycle than it is to get eaten.

I brought two dogs from the United States (Los Angeles) to HCMC in March 2010 without an agent. I was quoted $5,000 by a pet transport agency and ended up doing it myself and paying around $500 to Delta for the charge of shipping them, and that's it. Save your money, it's easy to do. All you need is a rabies shot at least 1 month before you arrive but no longer than 12 months old and the other normal shots you get every year (even though only the rabies shot is a requirement). I suggest getting everything 45 days before you fly to pass the 30 day out rule. You also need to get your Vet to sign-off on the general health of the animal and that it is fit to fly, which is required by the Airlines for flights originating from the United States (not the Vietnam Govt) within ten days of flying. After I cleared customs, my dogs were already waiting down at baggage claim like a couple of big suitcases, lol.

Here's what I did:  A few months before the flight, I did a Google search for "Airline approved pet carrier" and found their crates that way. I set the crates up inside my house and started putting them in the crates a few hours a day starting three weeks before the flight to get them used to the crates in order to not have that added stress on their plate the day of the flight.  Make sure to cut their food in half the day prior to flying and feed them three hours before the flight (half again their normal daily food just like the day prior). DO NOT DRUG YOUR PET, it is not good and causes their blood pressure to go even lower than the air pressure already makes it go when flying. It's not recommended by the airlines and could make your pet sick in addition to the danger of the low blood pressure problem. I highly suggest freezing a bowl of water that will slowly melt during the trip which allows your pet to lick it without it spilling everywhere while the cage is moved throughout travel. Even though the airlines have you complete feeding and watering instructions, none of the food and water I attached to the top of the case was used so don't expect anyone to feed or water your pet.  Your pet is tougher than you are, don't worry, they will be OK.  Since nobody flies direct to Vietnam from the United States, I was stuck with a 90 minute layover in Tokyo.  I was lucky enough to get my dogs out of their cages in Tokyo during my 90 minute layover for three minutes but they were so freaked they wouldn't pee. They actually were in their cages for 24 hours by the time they were out of them for good in Vietnam and they didn't pee or poop at all the entire trip. That's due to the 1/2 food ration the day before and of the flight and lack of abundant water, which worked out perfect because although they were stressed, they were perfectly ok. 

Vietnam Pet Transport Instructions

This procedure is for cats and dogs only; I'm not sure how to do any other type of animal. A microchip is not currently required for entry into Vietnam.  I also paid a company for the information on how to do this only to find that much of the info they gave me was not required.  I spent three hours with my interpreter calling all of the different agencies and departments the instructions told me to call only to find most people had no clue what the procedure was and when I finally got to the right person, they told me that I only needed the veterinary certificate and my pet's inoculation records and that was it.  I didn't need to inform anyone or do anything on the Vietnam side.

VETERINARIAN MUST SIGN IN BLUE INK NOT BLACK INK

AIRLINES: The airlines “Delta in my case” for flights originating from the United States (check with your Airline if your country is anything other than the United States) require a health certificate be signed within 10 DAYS of travel. See jlawgroup.com/viet to download this form

STEP ONE

The pet must be vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days prior to travel to Vietnam and not more than 12 months prior to travel. Have your accredited veterinarian complete the veterinary certificate also located at jlawgroup.com/viet . The veterinarian is certifying that that the pet is healthy, free of parasites and that there is no evidence of diseases communicable to humans

STEP TWO

Attach your “Pet's Inoculation Record” to the “Veterinary Certificate”; this creates your “Pet Passport” for Vietnam. 

* PET'S INOCULATION RECORD-This is a record of all vaccinations given to the pet animal including the name of the vaccine, the manufacturer of the vaccine, the lot or batch number of the vaccine, the date the vaccine was administered and the expiration date of the vaccine if applicable. The following vaccinations are recommended. ONLY the rabies vaccination is required:

Dogs (Canine) may be vaccinated for: Rabies, Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvovirus and Para influenza

Cats: (Feline) may be vaccinated for: Feline panleukopenia (Distemper): Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Leukemia, and Rabies

STEP THREE

Upon arrival in Vietnam (My personal experience was with SGN Airport in HCMC, I can't speak for Hanoi but assume it is similar) you will present these documents “Pet Passport” to the immigration officer after grabbing your Pets at the same place you get your checked in luggage. They will need to call the person in charge of giving the OK and that person will look at the papers for two seconds (because he can't read English, my papers could have been the US Constitution and my pets would have gotten in, lol) and say OK! Then you can freely leave the airport with your pet(s).

EXITING VIETNAM (As I've been informed but haven't done myself since my pets are in Vietnam to stay)

To take your pet out of Vietnam, you need to have their shots up to date similar to the requirements when you brought them into Vietnam.  I would suggest calling your airline and asking them what they need and also contacting whatever country you are taking them to and make sure you know what they require. 

Good luck!

---/\---
---\/--- Why Did I Not
---[]--- Discover Asia
---[]--- Sooner!
-/\[]/\-
-\.[]./-
-/....\-
-\__/-/

Hi, maybe you could post your article in the guide ?

except nobody mentions that you can not take your dog through hong kong,until the last min. all has been set paid for, can not change ticket etc.. my little york terrier,is stuck in atlanta, with an old aunt, who although very good , thinks her going out in the yard is the same as going for a walk....

Hi there,

I am wondering you touched base on bringing the animal back, so no export permit or anything is required to bring them back to their home country? Which is Canada? I mean I know Canadian laws but wanna make sure on their laws.