South Africans in Canada?

Hi there.

Is there any South Africans working, staying in Canada and when and why did you emmigrate, tell me your story please, are you happy?

Barry
[email protected]

Hi Barry...doesn't seem to be many Saffers on this forum. We are from SA and moving to Toronto soon. There are a couple FB sites where you will probably get the info you are looking for.The one is 'South Africans in Toronto'.Good luck with your plans.

Hi there

Thanks, it seems like it, there must be a reason why, thought there is a lot of S.A. there, is Toronto a better state or what is the reason then.

Thanks.
Barry.

I'm not sure..just heard there were quite alot of SAfricans living there...especially in the suburb of Oakville. That's why we have decided to move there. There's even a South African butchery there.

Hi there.

Are you happy there, is it worth while to pack up my stuff and go and live and work there, I've just read a few terrible story's of Canada, racists, taxes etc. Do not want to waste my time and making a wrong disicion, why dit you move there?

Barry.

My personal opinion...if you have the opportunity to go,then go for it.I'm not there yet(was there for 2 weeks in March), but  I seriously can't wait. I've had far too many experiences with crime in SA. I feel unsafe (my opinion again).

Hi there.

Two weeks is not very long to check out everything, I am still looking for S.A. people who are currently live and work there for their story's, so if you know of anyone there, send their e-mail adress to me please.

Thanks.
Barry.
[email protected]

Go to sacanada.org
Loads of information by Safricans living in Canada

Hi Martie.

Where do you live in Canada, how do you find it there and are you happy there, which rout did you took to get there, cost etc, your name and surname sounds Afrikaans, which I am as well, please e-mail me at [email protected], currently I am in the agriculture sector and is looking to come and live and work there on permanet base.

Many thanks.
Barry.

Hi Barry

I'm from SA. I'm in Calgary in Canada for 2 months already. Moving here was the best decision I could have made - ever! In my 2 months that I'm here I've not come across racism once. The crime statistics here is very low. Go google it for yourself. With the Stampede Breakfast this morning, we left the children's stroller and bicycle around the corner because it was far too crowded - when we were finished with the breakfast and festivities, IT WAS STILL THERE! not stolen.

Taxes are high I have to admit. Medical aid (from what I've heard) is also free - Doctors' consultations. Medicine you'll have to pay for yourself.

The weather is obviously an enormous change than from SA. There can be very cold days in summer. Very few hot days, and of course the snow then.

To me, living in Canada has been very good to the blood pressure if you know what I mean.

Where in Canada do you want to move to?

Good luck with all your arrangements!

Snow? on the West coast, we usually get one week of snow per year. However, I can't remember seeing snow for the last couple of years. We are getting warmer, thanks to Global warming, so just be prepared for rain for four or five months of the year.

Hi Stef.

I am in the agriculture sector and still have to find out where in Canada will be the best place in my field, maybe you could help with that.

I still have to apply for a working visa and the application process is not so easy as I though and still struggeling.

Is there more South Africans there, I would like to hear from them.

Thanks.
Barry.

Hi Barry.

First of all, you have to get a job here before you can apply for a Work Visa. If you don't have an LMO, you can forget of applying. (maybe the experts can help me out on this one if i'm wrong, but I think that's the way it's done)

Hi Stef,

Would you recommended any good agencies that would help in finding a job in Canada? My job is on the Canadian skills shortage list so I am able to apply for a work visa. There's quite a few agencies out there so I'm deciding which one to choose.

HI Matt

If you know of agencies, make use of them. and if through the agency you see a job being offered, apply.

Regards

Immigration agencies cannot find you a job. Make sure you hook up with a recruiter.

Hi Martie.

Do you know of agricultural recruitment agencies there, and if you do, send me there details please.

Many thanks.
Barry.
[email protected]

Unfortunately not. And those that are out there, cater for unskilled workers, who are willing to wrk for minimum wages. Also, they only get temp work permits for seasonal work. Your best bet would be to talk to a farmer in Canada. Are you a farm manager? Did you post on Sacanada.org your request?

Hi Martie.

Yes I did register on sacanada, and is busy to make contact with farmers there, I am a farm manager, do have a diploma in animal production and degree in agric management.

I know now that I must first get a job to get a working visa, how long does such a process take and how succesfull is it.

Thanks.
Barry.

If you can get a job offer from an employer with a LMO, not more than 6 months. The trick is to get the job offer, and a job with a wage that you can support your family. Is your paper work in SA ready? That could take months. Do you have a passport, and other supporting documents? Check it out on the SA website for the Canadian Embassy in Pta. .

Barent,from the moment you sent in your docs & passport to the moment you receive them back (for work permit) takes up to 4 months. Like Martie said, the very crucial thing is the LMO. a lot of people can make you job offers, but don't put their money where the their mouth is. The LMO is the very important thing. How successful is it? If you have the LMO, and you got your docs back from the Canadian Embassy, you have the job, then you'll just have to get all your arrangements in place.

Hi guys,

I've read the replies to Barry's questions. What exactly is the LMO that you're talking about?

Rgds,

Labour Market Opinion. The employer gets this from their Government. First, the employer has to advertise the specific job and skill he requires, then if no one from his country applies, or he can prove that the skill he requires is from a foreigner he gets approved to get the Labour Market Opinion.

Please also see link below.

cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Hi Stef,

You sound very knowledgeable about the immigration process. Thanks for the information and the link.

Rgds,

Hi there,

We have been living in Calgary for over a year now.  I can honestly say I have only good things to say about Calgary.  I haven't traveled outside of Alberta yet so I can only speak for the area I am in.  In summer time I feel like I am living in South Africa.  Its hot, the life style is outdoors and friendly and its so safe we go walking in the creek at 9pm at night.  The medical care is free and exceptional (my gp is from South Africa and we have a nice afrikaans chat when I go see him).  The tax is low in Alberta (its much higher in Vancouver - so be sure to check the different tax brackets as every province is different).  Alberta has some of the best steak in the world so you can be sure that if thats important you are in the right place (also steak is cheaper than chicken here!)  The schools are good, and as Calgary is busting at the seams with gas and oil industry there is loads of jobs and plenty money.  The winters are cold yip it snowed loads - but I loved it and even if it snow you can trust the Calgarians to still be outside doing sporty stuff - no one stays indoors no matter the weather.  I can honestly say there are days (when its not snowing of course) that I feel like I am still in South Africa.  Its a good fit for us as the people are very much like us but the country is without so many worries and crime.  I can again only speak for where I live but there is no vindictive racism here.  The only thing I have heard is some people make off hand comments about the native Americans.  If you are serious about coming to Canada the only thing I would point out is to make sure where you want to end.  As this country is enormous every province is different and gets run and managed differently from the other.  Vancouver is said to be the most expensive (thats the province of British Columbia).  Calgary has lower taxes and more snow.  Depends what you are looking for.  Good luck!  We are loving living here and is busy buying our first home.

Hi There, I have read all the replies and questions posed and I have never been to Canada but from my research it seems a far better option - economically and opportunity wise - than other areas.  The weather obviously is a little worrying but I am sure I can overcome that stress.  Are there any South Africans currently living in Manitoba - Winnipeg to be exact?  I am looking to be in touch with a recruiter? I have already started my application process through Canadian Visa Experts but I have questions regarding my specific industry being Freight Forwarding. Vivienne