Looking to set up a business in Cairo

Hi,

My Husband, whio is Egyptian, and I are looking to start up a business in Cairo.

I am  British and my husband has spent he last 8 years in the UK, so he speaks fluent English.

We were thinking of setting up as tour guides and also as a driver for tourists who are visiting Cairo.

Can anyone see any problem with this as a business? Does anyone have any other ideas for setting up a business in Cairo.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who could help.

Thank you

My advice to you is not to start any kind of business before you stay sometime in the country, in order to have a clear vision. Sometimes you would have another choice if you would knew something in advance and this takes sometime.
I am telling you from my experience inside Egypt and some other countries.
I have just lately initiated my personal business in Egypt after so many years of experience and study.
Being a driver for tourists sound not bad, but as you know that touristic life is not excising any more with the current situation in Egypt. Further more, I don't recommend such job for well mannered people.

Good luck

Considering the current situation in Cairo, I would not suggest to set up any tourist business in the city, unless it involves proving security.

you will need to obtain a licence for transportation and tourism business, or you will get in trouble.

Thank you Omar for your advice, my husband is from Cairo so he knows the city very well and I have spent lots of time there.

I know from my experiences when new to Cairo that people would prefer a driver who can speak their own language as it makes them feel safer and I would have thought, especially in the current situation, that this even more necessary.

Could you please explain more about what you mean when you say this is not a job for well mannered people? I would think that a well mannered driver is exactly what is needed rather than someone who is rude and bad mannered?

I wish you every success with your business and I thank you again for your advice

Hi ExpEgypt,

Thank you for your reply, could you tell me how much it costs to get the papers you told me about and where we would go to get them?

Thanking you for any information you can give me.

Hi
I have an apartment in Giza which I let out to tourists from abroad on holiday there through a tourist accommodation site called  holiday let
I want to relocate to morocco and want to sell it as an ongoing business ....
I can send the link of the apt if interested
Thanks
Mr daar

At the moment I wouldn't recommend any start up. And if your husband is from Cairo, he can find out all the papers (and money) you will need to start a business, otherwise family of him can find out. You asking such information from expats is a little strange...
There aren't much tourists in Cairo now. Also the hotels in the Red Sea area are not full.
See what will happen on Sunday...

Assalam Alaikum

If you would send me details I would be very grateful. Giza is where we want to settle so it would be ideal.

Thank you

Thank you Geely

we are waiting to hear what happens as you say but are still hoping to be in Cairo soon. Egypt is my dream and has been all my life for as long as I remember so I am going to work really hard to make it happen.

sites.google.com/site/aptcairo/
This is the site of my apt

Hi Linda
I'm going to be in Cairo after Ramadan for two weeks  and love to meet you and your husband for a chat at the apartment and go from there....
If u have a local mobile number that would be great to contact u when settled there
I hope to hear from u soon
Kind regards
Imtiaz

Hi I will message when we reach Cairo. We will be there on 5th august. Thanks. Linda

Yes thanks for your reply ... We will be there on 20 th August

My advice for you: BE CREATIVE.

Many tourism business already there. You need to look for new idea. Something no one is competing you in! Be creative and take the risk to be the first at what you are doing!

Good luck and I hope you'll enjoy the Egyptian experience :)

Hi do you have any suggestions? I would love to hear other peoples ideas

My only suggestion at this point in time is to not do it.
Why enter with a new business apart of the economy/ a business that is failing spectacularly and where people are experiencing true hardship.

You only have to move around Cairo (which no -one is doing at the moment to be honest) - and go to some of the places frequented by tourists like Khan El Khalili - the established businesses are suffering terribly - and this is if they have managed to remain open - some haven't as the guys have gone to find other work to feed their families.
Look on bbc - there is a short report/clip from Luxot which will help you understand the enormity of the problem.
And when most tourists come they usually combine cairo with luxor - so if luxor is that bad then you can bet your bottom dollar that cairo is exactly the same!

\