Advice - We're moving to Sweden

Dear all,

I am English, currently living in London. My Swedish girlfriend and I are planning for our move to Sweden in about 6 months. It's exciting, yet a little scary. I just have so many questions and worries. I have a few questions to start off with.

1. I'm English, so part of the EU, which means I'm able to move there and work without any permit. Correct? However, I did read you need to register within 3 months of living there. Could anyone here be able to clarify this to me? I.e. how do I go about this, what do I need, when do I do it? We do have some savings and my girlsfriend will be working from start, but we're not sure how quickly I'll be able to start working (we were planning on me taking Swedish lessons etc while looking for work) - can I still register?

2. How do I go about practical stuff like opening a bank account, registering for a doctor etc? I know that there is a Person Number, similar to our National Insurance Number - do I get one, how do I do this? I understand that you need it for pretty much anything - bank accounts, studies, renting flats, setting up telephone etc. I would be so grateful for any advice.

3. What do I need before actually moving to Sweden? Is there anything I need to apply for BEFORE we pack everything up here?

4. Learning Swedish!! How long do you say it takes before you're able to follow conversations, understand TV, read the paper etc?

Any and all other advice greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks
Tom

If there is a website that is useful for you to read before moving to Sweden, I'd say that this is it:

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Work/Move-to-Sweden/

Let me know if you need any other information. I just moved here two months ago so I still remember all the details quite fresh :P

Hi... Have a browse through my blog. I'm a British-Canadian expat (moved here after 12 years in London)...
http://mdabase.blogspot.com/

Click on the A-Z on the right for an alphabetical list of some of the different posts.

Have fun!