Marriage and Children

Hi,
I'm getting married this year and wanted to know if it Is better to apply for the marriage license as a Vietnamese citizen instead of an expat?

I have dual citizenship(US and Vietnam) and my fiance is Vietnamese. I already had the single status doc notarized and translated and the psychiatric check up.
Final step is to turn in the application for the marriage license but the problem is I had to return my temporary residence card when I received my Vietnamese citizenship so I wouldn't have a visa.

Also we are planning to have children soon so I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to apply for the birth certificate? Vietnam and US? Would there be any problems for the US birth certificate if I apply for the marriage license as a Vietnam citizen?

Thanks!

Hi ,
You can access to : visajourney.com
Someone can help you in there .

If you are a VN citizen why would you need a visa now anyway. I would think it would be much easier to just get married as a VN citizen and avoid all the hurdles we expats have to jump to do the same.

kevinvn wrote:

Hi,
I'm getting married this year and wanted to know if it Is better to apply for the marriage license as a Vietnamese citizen instead of an expat?

I have dual citizenship(US and Vietnam) and my fiance is Vietnamese. I already had the single status doc notarized and translated and the psychiatric check up.
Final step is to turn in the application for the marriage license but the problem is I had to return my temporary residence card when I received my Vietnamese citizenship so I wouldn't have a visa.

Also we are planning to have children soon so I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to apply for the birth certificate? Vietnam and US? Would there be any problems for the US birth certificate if I apply for the marriage license as a Vietnam citizen?

Thanks!

kevinvn

Here's the link to the US Consulate for info on the US birth certificate:

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/report … broad.html

Might want to note FYI the 5 year requirement.

Thanks Mylan/Don/Bud

Hi Mylan,
I checked it out the website, looks very helpful.

Hi Don,
It would be easy to process the Marriage license as a vn citizen but I don't know if that would have an effect on the information on the birth certificate. I plan on going back to the US in a few years and don't want any problems getting passports or visas.

Hi Bud,
For that 5 year requirement. Do you know the # of days per year required to be in the US?

kevinvn

"Birth Abroad to One Citizen and Alien Parent in Wedlock: A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) INA provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen are required for physical presence in the U.S. to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child."

The 5 years is in reference to the number of years you lived in the US as a resident. I'm 47 and didn't live overseas until about 4 years ago so I have 43 years of residency.

Some things to think about when choosing to get married as a Vietnamese citizen or American citizen. Are you wanting to live in the US in the future? Are you wanting to take your wife to the US?

The process of marrying would be easier between 2 Vietnamese citizens. It is a longer more diificult process for a US citizen to marry a Vietnamese citizen.

However, if your wife is Vietnamese and if you want to take her to the US someday, it would help your case if you got married as an American citizen. If you have been living in Vietnam now and have been doing so for a while. In order to take your wife to the US you will have to prove domicile or to re-establish domicile for yourself. This will be more difficult if you get married as a Vietnamese citizen rather than a US citisen.

As for your child's birth certificate, there has already been some links posted to help you. Just to add some more info. It is easier if you get their Vietnamese birth certificte first. After that you can do the US birth certificate by reporting birth abroad and applying for their Social Security Number and Passport. That way they will have dual citizenship.