Learning mandinka

can anyone help I am looking to move to the Gambia at the end of the year and would love to learn some Mandinka before I go does anyone know of any tapes, Cd's, DVDs, I can use please

Hello suby,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you can post an advert in the Gambia classifieds > Electronics (CDs, DVDs) section? That may help.

Thank you,
Pravin

I wouldn't bother unless you plan to live in the bush with a group who specifically speak the language. Gambians, particularly those who come in contact with Expats ALL speak English and prefer to do so as it makes a statement about their level of education.

I doubt you will find tapes or books but the best place to try would by The British Council.

Yes, there is a book that used to cost 350 dalasi, when that was a lot of money, and I bought it, but it is not entirely correct and the lingo of some upriver village, a Peace Corps publication. I think now it is available for free download on the internet. Do a search on google, you will certainly learn something out of it. Hard to pronounce though without hearing it, I did find some basic Mandinka lessons with sound bites so you can listen. I have no idea where I found it or the web address, I was a bit beyond it by then, but I suggest again to google it and I am sure you will find it. it definitely exists. It is a great idea to learn some mandinka, it is fun and a lovely language. People appreciate you making the effort even if you are not much good at it, and you will be better equipped. And you will be able to sing along at programmes!