Lawyers to help with visa?

Hi, IŽve been living and teaching in Spain for the past 2 years under a government grant. Now I want to be on my own, apply for jobs, and continue teaching here in Spain. But the process of getting a visa is becoming more and more difficult. Some people have suggested that I hire a lawyer to help get a NIE and work permit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions on who I should talk to in order to help with this situation? Thanks in advance!

Usually as an American, it would be difficult to get a work visa without a formal request from a company sent to an address in the US requesting your work.
With the current crisis work visas are becoming more and more difficult to get for a position that someone in Spain could also fill.
I have an American friend who is a Biodynamic Sport Engineer who especially in the field of cycling.  The company was hoping to get her a work visa, but it was not accepted.
Things are better economically in the Basque region in comparison to other areas, so this might help you.
Nikane