What to do in Riyadh?

Sorry if i sound a sadist which i am not (was would be more appropriate). I am posting my story here as i dont have anyone to listen to it. (lol, i really sound stupid now as i havent done anything of this sort before)

I was kinda forced to come to Saudi Arabia for work from my parents (I still dont know why i gave an interview). I didnt wanted to come as i knew this was not a place for me as i was always into friends, parties, and all the things a normal person does during his younger days. I knew there was nothing of that sort here.

well anyways, lets skip the other things and get to wat changes in life i m going thru.

I get up in the morning around 8 (i used to get up no later than 11 am) and get ready for work.
at 6pm, i go back home (for wat? i used to think at this time).
sit at the couch, thinking wat to do for about an hour (never had a time to think).
After using my brains for indecisive cause, i remember of food for which i have to again make the use of my head to decide were to go and as usual i land up having a burger, pizza or a shawarma. (never ever had supper so soon before)and i gained 13 kgs in a year!!!! (i hate myself for that)
After stuffing my tummy, i go around the city alone for a while as dont have friends (didnt meet anyone who has my kinda idea of enjoyment. not their fault too, as they r here to earn)
then go back home and again think for a while and doze off to sleep around 2am (Man! that was the time i used to think of going back home)

I am sure everyone here might have gone thru this, but its just that i wanted to talk to someone about it and so i did here...

the things i wanna do ;) are:
be free (never till this iqama thing exists)
hang out wherever i want and with whomever i want (a bouncer didnt allow me to enter a mall unless i accompany a woman. even refused to tell me when i asked where to find a woman)
party (cannot even think of that at the moment as i dont know anyone in the compounds)

I would be grateful if someone shares/gives me the solution for all this...and ya, sorry for all this crap i have written but sure i have brought some kinda change in your life. the change is thinking that another person has joined the club!

Lets hang out together cutie, tell me how to reach you Ill give u a ring!

Tks,
Waleed

lets keep it till here for the time being ;)...actually scared of ur CUTIE addressing ;)

LOL CUTIE aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha :D

Welcome to KSA Shahab, a new world of Isolation :D

lol...thanks Saqib

yeah - i'm sure i will feel the same when i get there by the 1st week of april.

hi there Ray...i hope u find good friends or good places in riyadh before landing here, coz i feel things get monotonous after landing here...u dont wanna do anything new...its in the air i guess

i guess its all a challenge
yo could always find something new oppose to what you have already been doing
do you know if they rent motorcycles there?

me not a right person to ask dude...i m new here too. Even i wanna know whether they do rent or not

Ray, no need to rent one if you really need you can BUY one.
There are lots available here new and used
Harleys, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda , many more.

I have an eye on a kawasaki '07, a 250 :| yet to buy it though!

y a 250 saqib? go for a bigger one

a bigger one cost more :( thing is if i will be spending 10+k riyals on a bike i could easily get a car around here. Its no use throwing money on a bigger bike. Seasons are hot and one rarely rides a bike except on weekends. 250s are mid range bikes. They are not expensive, and look good too.

thats wat i wanted to say...ya they r expensive but at the same time wen u ride it only once a week, y not take the whole pleasure. if it was for daily commute, which i think is idiotic in riyadh, u shud go for a smaller one

Hmmm point!

Hey Guys i am looking for a FOrd mustang ? how much do you guys reckon will it cost in Riyadh and where do i be looking for it here? any tips ?

i agree with saqib - cheap but looks good (yeah good luck on that)i will only be riding it on the weekend - i will miss my Harley that i will leave in the US. I like taking weekend rides somewhere i can get lost.
do you need a special license for a motorcycle - anyone knows what is required?

ya...it started recently that we need to have a bike license too...if you have an american license, then u need not worry. it will be easy for u to get one without any driving test or anything

hows the traffic and the driving over there?

roads r good here as compared to india and normal speed of driving is 100 k/h

i also assume that people drive a little bit crazy like they do in some asian countries where they dont believe on driving lanes and instead they create their own lanes.
is it safe to ride at night or take a chance of being mugged????

Shahab, its not that bad if you set yr mind on a more positive gear and start looking to make friends, meet, gret, eat and enjoy yourself within what this society and culture offers. No point coming here and then crying.... it wont help you nor me.

Ray, you can easily buy yr own harley here on a monthly payment basis and ride on the highways and streets. Most bikers are seen on Thursday nights (weekend) in all their finery and machines. Driving is hectic. You gotta come, see and indulge to believe what it really is. All my explanations will not be able to tell you how and why. We all learned it the hard way. So why not you too.

Bottom line is "DO NOT expect the other guy to be a decent driver"

hey musicman...ya thats wat i m trying to do...met a lot of people here. but still, dont know wat to do...ya, i learned not to cry ;)...as i feel, u r quiet senior here, do u know of any sheesha joints here apart from those at the highways near janadriya?
and ya, i wanted to know abt the music classes u were planning to take, any progress in that? i always wanted to learn a musical instrument from a teacher but didnt get a chance. i know how to play a piano, but learned it without a teacher so not a complete player...
really nice to know u here and hope to be in touch with u...

hey shahab - we can get together once I arrive over there next month. Maybe you can show me around places that you have discovered
Musicman - thank you for the information and help on that company I inquire you about. I really appreciate it. I decide to take the job offer since it has a great potential for me in the future and also i can't complain about the salary package as well.

sure, will loof forward for it ray...
and ya, i heard that if u buy a harley here, u are automatically enrolled in some bikers club here wer u can meet lotsa people and free entry to all the biking and cars events...i heard this, not sure tho

if i decide to purchase a harley - it will probably be a use one since they are very expensive in the first place.
i'm sure that's the catch -
BUY A HARLEY BE IN A CLUB :D
any way thats not important - i nee3d to settle down first and get my bearings first once i arrive there.

There is a Harley Owners Group Club HOG here I am aware andthey conduct rallys etc from Jeddah all the way across the desert to Oman

thanks for the info musicman
just wondering are the bikes there expensive?

i think they are the same price as that in USA.

The best way to get involved and find out all u need to know is to pass by the Harley store on Exit 5 on the North Rimng Road and ask. They will probably have all the info.

yes i did found their website - thanks - i will drop by their store once over there next month.

has anyone heard of the area "KING ABDULLAH FINANCIAL DISTRICT" located south of Riyadh?

As far as I am aware there is a King Abdullah Economic City under cotsructiuon in the NORTH of Riyadh. Never heard of anything similar in the south. Apparently they want to create a similar financial environment here like what was done in Dubaiu some years ago in order to invite capital into the Kingdom.

yes - you might be right there musicman and thanks for your info

if possible can you pin point the location so I can google map it and get a sense of an idea where actually I'm heading to and hope to familiarize myself around its surrounding.

that is the project I will be working at

Hey.. just got back from the States and I'm trying to catch up with the forum!

One comment on this thread:  calling another guy 'cutie' is just plain weird :lol:

one doesnt really know who is a guy or gal in here just by looking at the profile, puddytat. the proof of the puddin' is in the meetin'

4 me go morning to work till evning eat drink sleep >> go to work again >> weekend no work thats seems to be problem so I just drink more and sleep more .

ummmm.. and what are you drinking, pray tell?

one doesnt really know who is a guy or gal in here just by looking at the profile

True but since the blue avatar was used, as well as the male name 'Willie,' I think it iw fair to assume this person is male.

HOWEVER, are you suggesting deliberate misleading?  I think it's rare for a girl to pretend to be a guy; certainly the reverse is much more common.

Shahab
Thanks for posting..that took courage
Your parents wanted you here so that you would stop your lifestyle back home.

I know a mother who sent her western son to live in a village in India for 6 months because he had a drug problem and was being chased by a drug dealer..this move not only cured him of drug addiction, he also learned to respect another culture and would now like to take his wife and raise his children in India.

Hang in there

beer:cool:

i m feeling bad for ya...i wish i could do some thing for ya yar but i m already having weird phase of my life and i could arrange your meeting some of indians but i guess they r too old for u:P