Live & Work in Dubai

Hello precious people.

I joined this site to see what tips and info one can get if they considering to move to Dubai . I heard it is the greatest place to be and so beautiful .
I am from South Africa, Johannesburg and hoping someone can advise me on how about doing this, where does one start .
It will be great to meet new people - awesome!

Let me try and develop some understanding of Dubai to you.

I have posted earlier by the title 'Current Recruitment Situation in Dubai', so follow that.

Now, heres the honest and bitter truth; Dubai is called or treated as being a 'fantasy' land for many expats. They come here with great motivation, great energy and amazing dreams of having this so easy going, secure lifestyle.

Families want to locate here because the education is great. High School students have plenty of options as far as Higher Education is concerned. Night life is amazing, the TOP entertainment professionals are always in and out of this place. Shopping is crazy, brands are everywhere.

Hence yes, Dubai has what it takes to be a city of 'dreams'.

The harsh reality, however, is different, as far as ambitious 'job seekers' is concerned. The true fact is, you are up against a zillion qualified seekers applying to the same job. The candidate base has increased tremendously ever since recession.

So, start networking via LinkedIn, Xing and networking sites, and make sure you let everyone know what professional circle you fall into. And try and make a trip down here, preferably after August, before December or After Jan till June.

Good Luck !
Saud

Hi Saud,

How are you doing.
You such a star, and thank you for taking time out to reply to my post!

I am very confused actually, from what I have heard but you know it is worth a try, who knows what all this can and will bring!

South Africa is great, but to get a job here is the hardest ever, so my thoughts were to come to the Middle East and try it out.
I don't know what to do actually, it does not seem easy as I thought it would be :)

XXXX

you are welcome Cornelia

yes its a great place here

Life in Middle East is one of compromise, more so for the expatriates from outside the country.  That said, if an outsider (i.e. outside of Middle East) wants to choose one country to work in the ME, it would be UAE without questions.  Why?  UAE, more so Dubai, is a melting pot of various cultures and nationalities more than 150 living together peacefully; this in itself is a great experience in life.  Ok, people come here to find work and make some money, agreed.  This means compromising many things like leaving some of the family back home, missing all the activities, events and the like that happen at home.  Same time, one gains a different set of exposure and experience.  In the bargain if one could make some money (kind of tax free) nothing like it.  In UAE things may be artificial, but they are nice.  We do not face the everyday problems at home, in UAE.  It is a lot easier to respect the law here and live in a much civilized society.  We get the best of the East and West in terms of household and consumables, cars and all other material things that one invariably needs sometime or other.  There are many opportunities to migrate to Canada, ANZ etc from here.  It is easier to travel to Europe or USA from here. Families are respected here.
While some individuals may have depressing lives (mainly due to work and salary related) there are quite a few who would rather live in Dubai than say in New York, or Mumbai or Karachi, for example.
I have travelled to several countries and lived in different cities.  My choice = Dubai, without second thoughts.

hello cornelia ,hope you will have a nice time here in this great city