Does anyone have dual citizenship

Onelitha,

I'm an American professor who has taught at several German universities, My grandparents lived in Prussia and then Poland before coming to the USA.  At best, I don't think that this would help me much. What I am interested in is dual citizenship: American/German.  Is this even  possible.  I have friends who have taught in German universities for as long as twenty years on some visa that granted them special exemptions because their subjects were considered either rare or poorly represented in Germany. This is why I am continually invited to teach for another year. Would my application be considered any differently than any other?

To be honest, though, I don't know what the advantages of acquiring dual citizenship would be for me.  Does anyone have dual citizenship who could  educate me on this matter?

Thank you in advance,

Jack

Hello Jack,

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Frankfurt forum for better visibility.

Regards,

Francesca

You have to renounce all other citizenship when you are given the German one.
Double citizenship in Germany is only possible by birth, or in special hardship circumstances that don't apply to US citizens (e.g. when the other country does not allow to renounce or places unreasonable conditions on it).

Isn't there an exemption related to nazi persecution that doesn't require renunciation? What was the reason your grandparents moved to the US?

There is no exception, but people of German ancestry are seen as German citizen by birth, even if the paperwork is done later in life.

I have had dual citizenship all my life and it is awesome.
1) when traveling in Europe with a German passport, people automatically are nicer to you.
2) you can stay in Germany as long as you want!!(=

but I do know it is a total pain getting or even updating your german passport!!

jack rollins wrote:

To be honest, though, I don't know what the advantages of acquiring dual citizenship would be for me.  Does anyone have dual citizenship who could  educate me on this matter?

Dual citizenship is only really useful if you want to be able to vote/live in areas outside your country of birth. Since you're talking about acquiring German ctizenship I assume that's the route you're thinking of taking.

As an American, it's very difficult to find employment in Europe. As a passport holder of an EEA country, you can move and reside freely in any number of countries. You might not even be considered for a position in another country as an American, even if your credentials match, simply because of the hassle of the paperwork.

Furthermore, you might find that at certain entry points, the lines will be shorter/simpler for the "locals". Entering the UK on an American passport takes much longer than it does on a European passport, for example.

Finally, if you're looking at it from an ancestry perspective, some people find it important or significant to have that tie with their ancestors, to be maintaining the nationality lineage.

The entire thread ( yes I know it was originally posted in June ) has to be fake or this is the worst PROFESSOR I ever heard of in my life - you, Jack Rollins, teach at several universities and yet come to an internet board to get your information ????????

Riyadh12 wrote:

Can you tell me ? Bangladesh People Can Germany citizenship? Please give me good solution .
and how can get easy Germany citizenship

It's as easy for you to get German citizenship as anyone else who has no ancestral ties to the country. It's generally not easy though, as it requires a certain number of years living in the country, and passing tests to prove knowledge of the country and language. Citizenship of a Western European country is generally considered pretty great to have and provides many benefits so they don't make it easy!

Riyadh12 wrote:

Europe Which Country Jobs available? as Norway , Germany, Denmark , Ballgame etc.  and which Country Earning is many Opportunity . And Citizen system get easily . can tell me about this .

Thanks
Riyadh / From Bangladesh

I am not sure what you are talking about. However, if you want more information about jobs in Norway, Germany and Denmark, there are many threads about this in their respective forums, as I mentioned previously, citizenship in Western Europe is generally not simple. It requires legal residency for several years, investment in the country, and a knowledge of local language for the most part.

ECS wrote:

It's generally not easy though, as it requires a certain number of years living in the country, and passing tests to prove knowledge of the country and language.

Getting German citizenship generally requires eight years of (legal) residence in the country. In cases of good integration (i.e. language skills and cultural integration), this can be shortened to seven years.
I don't think there is a European country (except UK) where it is easier to become citizen.

Regarding the OP's other question about jobs and countries: By law, EU citizens must be preferentially hired. Thus you'd need to focus on an area where you have skills (and applicable work experience) that are rare (but in demand) in Europe. This could be engineering, oil & gas (esp. in Norway) and other technology-related jobs.Beauty Salon will not work, as there are many unemployed Spaniards, Greek, Portuguese, etc. who can do the job.
As far as I know, ballgame is neither a country nor a profession.

Edited to add: In all these countries, knowing the local language is usually a precondition for finding a job. Which languages do you speak? (Judging by your posts, your English is very weak.)