Access to Buses/Transportation

are there buses that women can take to get to the mall (or any where for that matter?)!  we're at one of the compounds and i was hoping i'd be able to get around in riyadh while the hubbie is off working.  please help maintain my sanity!

Compunds usually have their own bus service..they seem fine for women to use.

I dont think that "public" bus services are for women.

You can easily use a taxi. Thats no problem for a lady to use, except please use a taxi driver you know.

Public buses do not allow women to ride on them.
Taxi or compound bus is the best option
Or get someone to pick you up and take you, possibly a family

ask at your compound sure they have scheduled bus for service .

Actually, buses do allow women.

I don't know which lines do NOT but I know that one runs down Aruba Street to Batha and the rear of the bus is reserved for women (somebody I know took it).  Only  cost, I believe, 2 riyals!

Correct Allie, but those are only the SAPTCO buses which are few and far between, sadly. The regular choo choo Coaster Buses that belch enough Carbon Monoxide to make Al Gore spin in space, do not and are usually used by the multitude of blue collar workers to commute.

Its high time that SAPTCXO established a ddecent public transport network to cover all corners of the city for both males and females.

You know, men commonly reply to women, in reference to transportation, 'take a taxi' or 'take a limo.'  So easy for them to give such advice, since they are driving their cars!

While the initial expense of cabs/limos might not be much, for a short trip to a supermarket, for example ... try doing this every day, try paying multiple cab fares to hop from shop to shop or mall to mall, when you are looking for something specific (or just trying to explore a new city!), and the cost can really add up at the end of the week.

Since I myself am far from wealthy, I need to conserve where possible, as do many others.

So when a woman asks about getting around in Saudia, please don't be so quick to suggest a taxi (which obviously is common sense).  She's looking for alternative suggestions.

:joking: u can borrowing my car but d u have saudi license ? :P

The best, cheapest, and most convenienet alternative to a taxi/limo for women in the city of Riyadh is if a woman can find a family, as friends, to pick her up and take her aong. We have been doing that with many single women whom we have known here over the past 30 years.

I have a plan to dress up in a thobe .. fake beard.. guthra.. and drive at night! :top:

Come on, Mak! Give me your car and I'll take you on a joyride!

not a bad idea, puddytat, lets just hope that the driver behind does not bump into you for Gods sake...

great idea cat...i know u can do it ;)

LOL - Alliecat - thanks for the clarification.  I was definitely trying to find an alternative to relying on others (including a cab).  I also am thinking about dressing up so I can drive.  Where did you get your beard from?!

Ladies, Please be careful if you go out alone and get into a taxi.  I just returned to KSA yesterday and had a bad experience with a driver from the Airport Taxi Service (I was warned not to use the locals). The issue is being looked into by the Authorities and I hope the driver is removed and arrested. 

Most all compounds have drivers, if not, hire a driver who works for a private taxi/limo service, they are usually well screened.  Having said that I would have thought the Airport Taxi Service would screen their drivers too - I guess not!  :(   Your safety is paramount! 

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the bus service here in the area.

Here is a number to FAZ Private Car Service, The driver I use most of the time is Zubair and he is very professional and dependable. If he can't pick you up he will send one of the other drivers.  I also call him if I am having communication Issues with a driver and he usually resolves the issue or provides directions, etc.,   His numbers are 0500796675 or 0558000514 or you can call the company, 4613446 or email the company at [email protected]

I was tired and impatient yesterday and didn't want to wait for the other driver to come to the Airport and I it came back to bite me.  Next time, I'll wait!

Be safe!

Welcome back, CAF .. sorry for what happened but sure glad you're okay :)

Your advice is very valuable.  Fortunately, we have some very reliable drivers at my compound (which is connected to my job) so I've never had to face anything unpleasant but I've heard a few horror stories.

Yes, it was a very unpleasant and somewhat frightening experience.  I can only hope that the authorities remove him form the job and take away his license to drive.  Jail would be even better!

We can chat at the party!  What are your plans/date?  What can  bring or how can I help?

Local cab drivers us an ABSOLUTE NO-NO.
In the old days we had the yellow cabs driven by locals which was not bad as many of them were genuine cab drivers and chose to live like one. Today, most of the drivers are simply doing it for a quick buck and will resortt to anything to fleece the passenger and make his life hard.

So sad to hear abt yr expreince CAF.

I usually get picked up by my family driver from the Airport but whenever IU do need to take a cab I alweays make sure its an expat.

There is a new London Cab service introduced in the city with the cars identical to the black London Taxis and all driven by expats. They even provide a calling service.

CAF, a doctor I work with is leaving on holiday this week.  Somebody asked him how he will get back from the airport when he returns.

He stated--and he's been here a long time--that inexperienced Saudi's looking to pick up an extra buck have forced out the 'traditional' drivers at the airport in the key locations in front of the doors.  He said he'll walk down the line a bit until he finds a 'real' driver (who I guess could be defined as someone not Saudi; as musicman said, an expat).

As soon as he said this, I thought of you and your experience.

Yes Allie, thats the best course of action to take. Simply ignore all those local taxi drivers and walk past them looking straight and walk down the street outsuide the airport until you find an expat cabbie. He will take you home and possibly engage witrh you in some intersting local gossip too in his own special way and accent. You do get some extra mileage for the money you pay... heh heh

Musicman & Alliecat,

Thanks for the tips!  Im a bit leery at the moment, so I will wait for my driver next time!    But your right Musicman, Ive used the expat cabbies and have never had a problem in the past but its been from the malls, not the airport.  I was obviously given the wrong info (or I misunderstood) about the Airport! 

I should hear something from the Authorities this week and Ill keep you posted.

I use a regular cab driver (an expat, I just ring him and he picks us up when ever we need him. THe issue is that he is not allowed to pick up from the airport (dropping off is no problem, its when we arrive at Riyadh and want to go home that there is an issue.(Saudi Regulations!)

Any idea's?
I have worked down that Taxi Line, unfortunately I have found that the only taxi drivers are locals (no offence meant they all over quote me on the rate (meters dont work or they dont use them!!)

The drivers that I use are unmarked, private cars and the drivers usually wait in parking garage until we contact them that we are outside waiting.  Or they come up and wait to see us come out of the baggage exit where we then connect up and go to the parking garage.  Either way generally works well.  But in a "marked" taxi, it would be difficult to do that.

Update on the Driver Incident...  He was arrested yesterday!  I had to go and give my statement to the police today.  During my interview they brought the driver in in hand-cuffs to get his side of the story. 

He was all smiles, I guess he thought this was a joke!  He told them some wild stories.... and   remorseful he was not!  They told me he was honor bound not to admit what he did - that it wouldn't go well with his wife & family…  Too bad for him, I guess sitting in jail is better...  Now the case goes to the local Governor for a decision on whether prosecute or not.    I hope the guy rots in Jail!

Should this happen to anyone, especially the ladies, you need to contact your Embassy immediately.  Give them a statement and they will proceed according to local policy. 

Silly Boy!

The issue of picking up from the airport doesnt arise if a private vehicle is involved. Its only the public utility vehicles, taxis, limos. that face this problem since, I believe, that the airport only allows a local "mafia" to operate within their premises.

In the old daus we had all private taxi companies, with their supervisors standing outside and all their cabs lined up in a row, soliciting hires. They were all expat driven then. Things have changed.

We dont face the transportation problem now since we have our own full-time family driver who picks us up in our vehicle whenever we travel. Thank God!

o god! u have entered Saudi Arabia with a BANG CAF! way to go lady!

Just to share with you mates:

I was on the Riyadh airport on Saturday evening coming back from Jeddah. To my surprize. the airport taxi drivers mafia had pushed out all the expat cab drivers and started charging 3 times the usual charge. Also they were forcing people to share the taxi with 2/3 others.

I called my brother-in-law to drop me home from there.

What these jokers do not realize is that the expats will automatically start making alterate arrangements to have themselves picked up at the airport and the only losers will be themselves.

Talk of shooting oneself in the foot!

I jus remembered an eventful incident way back in the early 80s when I returned alone from a biz trip to Dhahran Airpot and hailed a yellow cab driven by a local who looked like he had just come back from milking his camel.

We got talking in the cab and when I told him tat I was from Sri Lanka his eyes lit up and he asked me for a favor. He stated that he had just hired a maid from SL and she was crying from day 1 and he was unable to understand what he wanted. So I agreed and we went o his home in Agrabiya, the next town before AlKhobar where I lived, and I was able to talk to the maid and sort out her problems to his great amazement and delight. He insisted that I sit and partake in a meal which he organized in double quick time. I was simply stunned. He dropped me off at home and didnt even charge me for the cab. He even said I was welcome to his home at any time I wished.

Now, those are the wonderful locals I once used to know....
A simple taxi driver, but a man of great heart.
They dont make them like that anymore, sadly.

Times have surely changed, brother.

Shahab.ali - Its been quite the adventure so far! 

Your right Musicman, most of the expats will do just that.  Isnt it too bad that the Govt allows this kind of behavior?   Its sad that someone coming into the country for the first time has to be exposed to creeps who take advantage of others.  There really should be better oversight.  I guess Im dreaming.  LOL

Actually CAF, you are damn lucky you got away unscathed. We have heard of some terrible horror stories that people have experiened here that would make Alfred Hitchcock blush....

You better make some serious supplications to your Creator.

My name is Shahab and i am not a ...err...leave it, so call me SHAHAB...

the people here were so good before, most of them were from yemen...they were really good. even now, the people from western and easter saudi arabia are good, but with some influence from other parts of the country

Hi Guys,
Wow, reading the above, I cant help but feel very alarmed. CAF im very sorry to hear of this. Is this behaviour quite common by local taxi drivers? How would I know the difference between a local cab driver and an expat?

C'mon Uglybetty, you have been living in UAE. You know the faces of Asians, Arabs, Eurpoeans are all different.:) By the way, Saudis wear a white long dress (like Emaratis) and keep a red-and-white cloth on their head.

Another trick: Ask something in English, if you notice that his face has gone blank, he definitely is a local cab driver. Any local who learns to speak a little english start thinking that he deserves a manager title in some company. (At least he will never like to drive a cab) lolz.. :D ..(kidding)

You cant go by dress coe since mostof the local cab drivers are now donning pants and shirt cos they are ware that expats ae running away from them. English is one way to find out. For first timers its always best to seekassistance from colleagues and friends before embarking on taxis or even getting out. Once you learn the ropes all will be well.

Thanks Guys. I dont judge by the way people look as particuarly in UAE some people dress like locals, although they are not so its sometimes hard to tell. But thanks both for the tip on English ;-)

Betty,

Most of the expats have numbers of taxi drivers who they use regularly.

So its not a very big issue.

Its only at the airport that your regular taxi driver cannot pick you up. (regulations)

Anywhere else is no problem.

We use the same driver, an expat when ever we need a taxi and its no problem.

From what others have told me, including the above thread, it always is the local (saudi men) taxi drivers who are causing troubles.

The Indians, Pakistani, Fillipino taxi drivers are great. No problems. They are really helpful.

If you live in a compound the reception should be able to arrange a decent cab. If not you need to find out cab contact numbers and store them on your mobiles. Most parents do this too in the event the vehicle is unavailable to take kids to school and back. Works well.

SHAHAB - Sorry if I've offended you in some way!  If so, please tell me how so I dont do it again!

Uglybetty - Unfortunately this place is really no different than any other place on the planet.  There are a few bad apples making the country and in this case the Airport Taxi drivers look bad.  But having said that you need to be careful!  If your coming into the country and have not coordinated a driver with your compound/employer, then let me know and I will provide you with the number of a driver that I use all the time.  He works for a private car service and he is very professional.  I have placed his info on this thread before.

Hey all,
Thank You very much for all the info, you have been a great help and Caf thanks for the offer, I shall take the details from the thread :-) cheers!!

hey caff no sorries...was just sayin so that u dont have to give more stress to ur fingers to type .ali

Shahab...  Thanks!  I thought I may have offended you in some way.  So GLAD I didn't! :)