Us sim cards for re-entry

Here in VN, SIM based phones are easy to use. It seems that in the US they work very hard to make them impractical.  What I would like to find is a SIM card that works in the US... and doesn't expire in a very short time period. In particular when I return to the US after say a year on the road... i just need to be able to make a few calls like calling a hotel shuttle, or making a reservation... I don't want to pay $30 a month service fee just to own the card that sits in my suitcase ... basically I want one that works just like VN SIM cards... Anyone know of any?

Found this site.
usasims.com

Don't have any experience with them, i just Googled it.

thanks Don
     In reading that site, I finally had the realization to my my dilemma: although all plans seem to expire ridiculously early, many can be refilled online which extends the expiry date... all I have to do is remember to refill it within the life expectancy (which will be weird to do when I have not touched the phone it since the previous refill ..) duh!

Why not get someone to use that sim in their second phone and recharge when needed.

Woodsdancer,

If where you are heading is similar to LAX, then the hotels have their own counters at the airport.  You can arrange all of that there.  You won't need your own phone.

But, if you really need a phone, then open your Vietnamese SIM up for global roaming.  You can, then, make and recieve calls anywhere.  The rate will be high, but it will not be anywhere near what you must pay to maintain an American line, while you are abroad.

Currently, the lowest is T-Mobile, at $15 a month.