Can foreigners here on tourist visas get drivers licenses?

I have heard some contrary opinions on this. I would like to get a motorbike and a license. I figured I'd rent a motorbike to start since I've never driven one and am not sure what I will want. I think I will start with an automatic scooter to learn. Near where I live there are some back roads hardly anyone uses and I was thinking about using those to learn how to ride (I have been riding on the back of friend's bikes and the occasional xe om for about six weeks so have some idea how the traffic here is - madness).

Would it be totally out of line to try and rent the bike even before getting the license (don't I need to pass a test where I drive around some cones or something to get the license anyway?)? I have a couple of friends who have offered to teach me how to ride, I could bring one with me when I rent the bike (assuming they will rent it to me) and like I said there are some back roads here which are seldom used I could use to learn/practice...

I would want to get the proper license though asap and would like to buy a bike legally and have it registered in my own name so I was wondering if someone here could explain the process to me (I have a license in my home state in the U.S. but it is not a motorcycle license, I would probably want a bike which I think would be around 150cc).

Thanks!

Yes, a foreigner can take a driver license test. One of the requirements is the visa need to be valid for at least another 3 months.
The written test is in VIetnamese only.

I live in Nha Trang and here I would have had to take a written test, take a driving test, have a valid 3 month Visa AND show a registered lease agreement and it seems like something else also. Plus the wait time plus the hassle plus the cost plus plus plus. I have a valid motorcycle license from the States so I said forget it!!

The lease agreement is something the local authorities add themselves since it is not stated in the regulations.

Official cost is quite cheap. Not heard about long wait time, but if they want you to bribe them, they will purposefully delay the processing.

Anatta wrote:

Yes, a foreigner can take a driver license test. One of the requirements is the visa need to be valid for at least another 3 months.
The written test is in Vietnamese only.

Awww I just got a 3 month visa today. So does that mean if I go tomorrow it is too late? :(

I can't go tomorrow anyways because I don't know how to drive yet but I guess if I am to take what you're saying literally I have to either make my way to that place in Cambodia that apparently has 6 month tourist visas or try to arrange it so I can get it on the very day my next 3 month visa begins.

Umm so how do the foreigners who don't speak Vietnamese get the license if the written test is in Vietnamese only? Will they let you bring a personal translator?

I suppose if I could get my hands on the written test in advance I could have a friend translate it, learn the words and memorize the answers to each question...