Moving soon to Riyadh...

Hey :)
I've recently gotten a job offer in a national medical center, at Takhasusi St-Olaya. The package is acceptable for a Junior Doctor, I am still hesitating, though.

I have no idea about lifestyle in Saudi Arabia, mainly ethics and social rules regarding single non-saudian female.

I know that everything is available in the Kingdom, but is it affordable? food, health care, sport, cultural activities ( cinema, theatre, music concert...) ect. Notice that I won't live in a compound, unfortunately.

As I am mainly french speaking, I'd like to improve my english. So, do British Council or Amideast or others offer courses there, and is it open for every one?

I also heard that the employer will take me the passport, so will I need its permission for every travel outside KSA? and, if I decide to terminate the contract , will it be easy to get back my passeport? anyone heard about troubles in that way...?

Thank you very much and in advance for your help... :)

hi aroua

how do u do?

the key of living in Saudi for single is friends  you have to find one here and build Friendships to can live here and come and go and have interesting time 
Lifestyle for female mmmmmmmmm  outdoor or in public place you must but (abaia) on your body but hijab is not necessary …… you can't drive car …here is Conservative society 

you can find any type of food here except alcohol  (u can buy it but it's expensive )
you will have Health insurance if u work for any company
no cinema no theatre no music concert just malls and some restaurants

there is British council class for men and women in Riyadh (it's not far from Olya ) I studied there
so you can improve your English and have IELTS

about travel outside KSA you must have permission from your company even if you have your passport he will give u paper to allow you to travel on airport I thing usaly  no problem about this if your employer is  respectable person

you said “national medical center, at Takhasusi St-Olaya” al Takhasusi is big hospital are on it your job?
olya is in center of Riyadh and it near my job it's commercial street and you will find everything u need there

Thank you for all :)

The exact name of the center is [...]. Do you know anything about it?

For cutural activities, that seems to be too limited :( what about sport? in open space preferably : jogging,tennis, swimming...

aroua1407 wrote:

Thank you for all :)

The exact name of the center is : National Consultant Center Co. (NCC). Do you know anything about it?

For cutural activities, that seems to be too limited :( what about sport? in open space preferably : jogging,tennis, swimming...

I did't recognize them
do they have website ?
for sport yes ther is place for women gym and Health club

For sport, i know that you have a swimming pool in the diplomatic quarter which is open to women.
As Nebras said, you will find anything you need here and you will work in the very downtown of Riyadh. I also confirm that, and especially for a woman, you will need to make friends really quickly if you don't want to be alone but then again, you will work in an hospital so you will surely meet plenty of people!

Make sure you won't be living too far from your work place :)

I've looked for their website but without success :(

in the contract, the address is : "...front of Euromarche".

Merci beaucoup Krysman25.

pour vous, ça n'a pas été dure de trouver une communauté francophone au Riyadh?

aroua1407 wrote:

I've looked for their website but without success :(

in the contract, the address is : "...front of Euromarche".

in Takhasusi st near me  I will check them when I return home

شكرا نبراس و المعذرة على أيّ تعب :)

ولو بدنا خدمة تحرز :)

aroua1407 wrote:

Merci beaucoup Krysman25.

pour vous, ça n'a pas été dure de trouver une communauté francophone au Riyadh?

I will answer in English if you don't mind 'cause we're on the English section ^^

As French, I got registered to the French embassy and from there, I made contacts with other French people. Everything is about getting to know each other here. I have only been here for 3 months though but still, I manage to find stuff to do.

The only advice I can give you is go for it (if the contract is fair of course^^). In the best best case, you will find some friends, have some good time, boost you carrier.... and in the worst case, you will have to quit and go back to your country. There is only one way to know....

@ krysman25 :

of course, you're right!!! sorry for the inconvenience by writing in french, I'm new here and I don't know the rules ;)

No worries, we're here to help.
I was a newbie 3 months ago also !

Hi aroua1407, NEBRAS,

Can you please post in English on the English forum. :)

Thank you,

David.

Hi David :)

ok :) I m so sorry.

hi aroua
Yesterday I saw NCC building It's big one
Unfortunately, I could not take pic for it because my mobile was empty
maybe today or tomorrow I will take it and send it for u

Thank you very much :)

Have a nice day.