Wadi Haniffa....

I was in wadi Haniffa last week end...was really great..for those of whome doesnt know much abt holiday spots n riyadh I would reccommend wadi haniffa in Dirreyyah....

Was filled with palm trees ponds old arabian style buildings and also with a dam...ideal spot for a picnic...

Ive been there myself. Drove past wit Salman. Its awesome...

No idea why they arnt promoting it big time....the only known leisure spots being the salam park and the riyadh zoo..

Dariya has a completely separate municipality (baldia) its governor is separate from Riyadh, consider it not part of Riyadh.
The locality was backward a decade ago, but recent developments are great and Wadi hanifa has been our favorite family spot for over a decade, i remember when i was small, there want such development and it was like an off-road adventure, loved those times. At the end of the wadi hanifa picnic road there is a lone tree in the middle of the water dam (now converted walk area). its our favorite spot for bar b q, sheesha sits etc. Security is good too, police is alert and sometimes nosy if they sense stranger activity around the city. Its a small town, everyone knows each other.

Dariya was the historic fort of the early invaders and the first King who conquered the territories and established the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, history of KSA is really awesome and i always tend to find interest in them.

Colombo Express wrote:

No idea why they arnt promoting it big time....the only known leisure spots being the salam park and the riyadh zoo..

They are promoting it now. The exit that leads to Dariya has some nice billboards about the historic place. I guess, the governor is waiting to finish all developments before promoting it big time!

wow...thats good news saqib....and thanks for the insight on wadi haniffa..

yep, a great place indeed, but you shouldnt be wandering alone if you dont have an arabic toungue :lol:

how to go to wadi hanifa park? Anyone can give me the coordinates please.

After reading the series of above posts, I am seriously planning to go there with my family on the coming Eid vacations. Please if anyone can guide the way towards it.. it will be really appreciated.

Regards
Salman Thetauras

salmanthetauras wrote:

After reading the series of above posts, I am seriously planning to go there with my family on the coming Eid vacations. Please if anyone can guide the way towards it.. it will be really appreciated.

Regards
Salman Thetauras

Hope you will have good time there.
bring back some memories that can encourage most of us to visit it soon.

:cool:

Its a nice place to spend a few hours in the evening, better to head now during eid vacations than later on coz the temperature drop then will be bone chilling. There is a lot of history in Diriyyah. I believe a mosque, a palace and even a museum which were under renovation when I went over the last time. BBQ is quite popular there as well.

salmanthetauras wrote:

Regards
Salman Thetauras

Hello Salman, there are few ways to reach Wadi Hanifah and Diriyah - I will try to make it as easy as I can :)

From the city centre drive along King Fahad Rd up to the exit 4 - keep the right lane but don't turn extremely right towards Dammam and the airport (East) but follow the brown sign "Old Diriyah". The road (North Ring Road) leads you left towards Mecca (West). Now keep going straight (West) for few kms up to the exit 1 - intersection of Salbukh Road (number 535) and North Ring Road.
Pass the exit to Salbukh. Slow down and after few hundred meters turn right on the following exit. It's one lane street going under the bridge and there is characteristic wooden door you need to pass through. There should be a huge mast with the flag of Saudi Arabia in the front of you. You are in Diriyah. Go to the small roundabout and take a second exit (like making not full U-turn) and drive down hill to the bottom of Wadi Hanifah. Turn right and drive straight for few kms - lots of speed bumps, another roundabout, etc (there will be road signs towards a dam). The park with picnic places is just behind the dam.
It's not that complicated as it seems to be - just have to be carefull on the exits.

mar8276 wrote:
salmanthetauras wrote:

Regards
Salman Thetauras

Hello Salman, there are few ways to reach Wadi Hanifah and Diriyah - I will try to make it as easy as I can :)

From the city centre drive along King Fahad Rd up to the exit 4 - keep the right lane but don't turn extremely right towards Dammam and the airport (East) but follow the brown sign "Old Diriyah". The road (North Ring Road) leads you left towards Mecca (West). Now keep going straight (West) for few kms up to the exit 1 - intersection of Salbukh Road (number 535) and North Ring Road.
Pass the exit to Salbukh. Slow down and after few hundred meters turn right on the following exit. It's one lane street going under the bridge and there is characteristic wooden door you need to pass through. There should be a huge mast with the flag of Saudi Arabia in the front of you. You are in Diriyah. Go to the small roundabout and take a second exit (like making not full U-turn) and drive down hill to the bottom of Wadi Hanifah. Turn right and drive straight for few kms - lots of speed bumps, another roundabout, etc (there will be road signs towards a dam). The park with picnic places is just behind the dam.
It's not that complicated as it seems to be - just have to be carefull on the exits.

That's quite descriptive!  Thanks!!
I'll visit it once my family is here

mar8276 wrote:
salmanthetauras wrote:

Regards
Salman Thetauras

Thx,I was really looking forward to it :)

Thanks man.....

we will sure visit the place and will upload the pictures...

its nice information.i will try if success....

Hi,

There are several ways to reach Wadi Hanfia

I went today night to find out the coordinates of Wadi Hanifa which could be the nearest point for Picnic.

Here are the GPS coordinates of Wadi Hanifa, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Latitude
N24.68415

Longitude
E46.61040

here is the location on Google Map

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q … CBkQ8gEwAA

here is the easy way to reach this place

let's consider you are on Olaya Road coming from Faisaliah Tower towards Kingdom Tower.

Reach signal of Kingdom Tower and go streight on Olaya Road

next signal, leave it (Jeraisy Building is at your left)

Next Signal, Take Left (It is King Abdullah Road), Right turn takes you to Exit-10

after taking left, keep on streight till you reach signal, Madonalds and Extra Shopping mall is at your left.

Keep on Streight till you reach round about. You will pass almost two more signals.

When you reach round about, leave first right and take the second right from round about. There are sign of Wadi Hanifa. A complete turn of round about get you back to the road you came from.

now keep on streight, there will be slight right curve, but you keep on streight. You may be checked by the police.

there is DEAD END but you will notice a slight slob going down at your left from DEAD END.

Follow your own. you are in Wadi Hanifa

I took coordinates of this dead end because it is entrance of Wadi Hanifa.

Note that an outdated MAP may do not show some roads of the park but most of the turn and roads were in GARMIN device.

You can take Malik Fahad road as well.

Take Exit of King Abdullah Road from any direction you are coming but you need to take either right or left which says (King Abdullah Road - WEST)than follow my above mentioned instructions.

Good Luk

Junaid Hussain Safdar
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Interesting @jadihussain! I have been there yesterday whole day doing bbq and enjoying the soft sun of winter :)

By the way for all interested: Wadi Haniffa is not a small spot. It's in fact a long strip of 20-25 km. The way described in the earlier post is of 'Diriyah' and the one @jadihussain has mentioned now is of a place called 'Arqah'. Both are on the same strip called Wadi Hannifa. It's an awesome place and a MUST visit.

I was there yesterday enjoying my BBQ and sheehsa. Its a fun place to be.