A few questions . . .

Hi, sorry for the length of the this but I'm just trying to get a few things clear in my mind.

We have just moved to Malta. I am half-Maltese (born in the UK), husband is Italian.

We are renting at first, and have found a lovely landlord who pointed out to us the our utility bills would be less if we got properly registered with ARMS.

These are my questions:

1. I understand that to have the bills in our own name requires a deposit, and would also be a bit of a hassle for the landlord when we leave and he wants to change it back. Is it enough, to get the residency rate, if we just inform ARMS, with our landlord's backing (he said he will endorse this), that we are residents (when we get our residency cards)?

2. My husband is working in Malta. I have just returned to London to tie up loose ends. I will return to Malta in July. When my husband applies for his residency card, can he also do so for me and our son, or do we need to be there? Would it help if we sent over documents, or do we need to be there in person? I see that there are forms for families of people working in Malta, but can they be filled out on our behalf or do we need to wait until we are there?

3. I am entitled to Maltese citizenship and am considering applying for it - would it be quicker for me to do this, for residency/lower utility bills reasons than to apply for the residency/ID card? From what I understand the whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment and could take months. Would it be quicker and easier for me to go to a lawyer and take advice on citizenship?

4. Our landlord told us that the more people we have registered as being residents the lower our bills will be. Can we get our son residency, even though he is only 2? Even if we could, would that still count, in terms of consumers on bills?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Hi there, welcome to the forum, I will try and answer some of your questions but I am sure some others will come and give you more information too.

1.  There is a form on the ARMS website to fill out and register you as living in the property, with this and a copy of your eresidence card and your landlord's id card ARMS will charge you to the lower residential tariffs, there is no charge for this and it can be done by email by the landlord or in person.

2. If you get your documents and photographs certified you can apply by post, if you attend the office then you will all have to go and have your photographs taken there.

3. Not sure about this question but don't really think anything is "quick" right now because of the chaos since the new eresidence cards have been introduced!

4. Again, not sure about this but maybe it says on the ARMS website?

Hope that has been of some help to you, good luck with your move etc

NB you do not need to have the bill in you own name - you can do so but that costs 466 euros - for little or no real benefit - you can be named on the owners account as a registered consumer and that is free providing you are certified as resident here, and that the landlord agrees, signs the form and provides a copy of his id.

each person registered as a consumer gets an allowance at the lower rates - electricity is currently 1000 units and 750 units at 25% discount and 15% discount respectively per annum.  Wwater is 33 cubic meters (33000 litres) each per year at 1.47 per cu meter and then 5.41 per cu meter on usage/consumption above 33cu meter. Its considerably more expensive if you are not on residential rates.

you can have as many as 8 people on an account - not sure at this stage if there are age restrictions - you can email their customer care. [email protected]

Thank you! Really useful information.