Moving to Puerto Rico from England.

My husband, 2 of my children (17 and 3) and myself are looking into moving to Puerto Rico from England. We are considering moving in mid September (2013) for 6 months to see if we can do it permanent. We have saved enough money for renting somewhere and everyday living but my husband would be flying to England once a month for a week at a time for work. Basically what I would like to know is everything lol. Have done some research but would prefer to hear from people who have already moved from England. I would like to know about applying for residency, public and private health care (what is required to apply and cost) also education and anything else you think is relevant. I would be really grateful for as much information as possible as i want to do this move if possible with my eyes wide open. Thank you x

To stay for 6 months will require a visa (check with the US consulate) and residency requires "green cards" for everybody involved. Check the US immigration website: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

There nothing like the national health service over here, everything is private and you would need a private health insurance plan.

I know from experience that PR has terrible air connections to the UK. You usually have to fly 4 hours back west to the east coast of the States in order to catch a trans-Atlantic flight to the UK. Another option is to catch a flight from San Juan to Antigua and then on to the UK but these flights are usually much more expensive and harder to schedule. Just food for thought.

We did holiday in Puerto Rico in may and you are right our flight was 4 hours long but my husband is willing to endure that lol...thanks for the reply.  :-)

Thanks for reply but I'm actually from England UK. Why would I need to check us consulate? :-)

You're very welcome. Good luck!

Ria1975 wrote:

We did holiday in Puerto Rico in may and you are right our flight was 4 hours long but my husband is willing to endure that lol...thanks for the reply.  :-)

4 hours will only get you from here to the US east coast. Then you'll spend a couple of hours to change planes and another 7 1/2 hours to the UK.

Ria1975 wrote:

Thanks for reply but I'm actually from England UK. Why would I need to check us consulate? :-)

Puerto Rico is part of the USA...

Hang on... are you talking about Puerto Rico in Spain?  This page is about Puerto Rico, the US territory in the Caribbean.

Oops, I even typed in Puerto Rico gran canaria lol... Will remove myself now. Thank you everyone for your help anyway. :-)

:D  Good luck!

I think you missed your calling Gary. You should have been a Detective.

Hey moderators, when do I get my third yellow suitcase? I contribute a lot and I've even behaved myself lately.

GreggK wrote:

I think you missed your calling Gary. You should have been a Detective.

:D:D

GreggK wrote:

Hey moderators, when do I get my third yellow suitcase? I contribute a lot and I've even behaved myself lately.

That has to do with the number of posts, I found out.
I just got my #4 at 500 posts. :cool:

Hello guys.

Could we please avoid going off topic? :)

PS: You have another suitcase when your number of posts increases.

[Sorry for the off topic]

Thank you,
Aurélie