Perfume

My wife has developed a sensitivity to perfume and fragrances. Are ther areas in Costa Rica where people wear little or no fragrances? We don't mind the smell of sweat, naturalscents are ok. But chemical perfumes and scents cause an allergic reaction. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

we are also a bit sensitive to scents, and haven't noticed a big problem here. Even on crowded buses...

Thank you, Julie! That is encouraging. I know that there will be the usual level of perfume in the major cities. I am hoping that in the smaller towns the scent level will be lower.
Keep your nose in the wind and keep me posted!
Thanx
Dan

You're welcome! :)
we have lived in small towns (Orosi) and larger towns (Alajuela, the 2nd largest city, and San Pedro, a suburb of San Jose) - doesn't seem to matter for perfume. SJ has more exhaust, campos have more burning sugar cane fields.
I'm guessing that if one is sensitive to scents, that particulates are also a problem - we have problems w/ mold/mildew. If this is true for you, then you will probably aim more for the west side of the country.
In rainy season, our place (inside) in San Pedro is usually at 77% humidity. During dry season (now) it is usually in the 50's. In general (of course not completely true), west side is dryer.

Particulatepollution and exhaust fumes do not bother my wife. As for mildew and humidity -we live in Florida - so we are used to that. Gasoline,paint,paint remover, etc.do not bother her.It is mainly the stablizing agents in fragrances that set her reaction off.

Thanks again
Dan

sounds great then! I just got back from a vacation in Puerto Viejo - took the bus for 4.5 hrs (+) each way, never detected scent. And, given it was a beach (hot hot hot), not even natural body odor on the return - wasn't expecting that bonus :D

How interesting and fascinating it must be to have this condition. I travel once a month to a small town, just to be able to smell the rain, flowers, and clear fresh mountain air.
After reading this article I have started to noticed how many women actually wear perfume just to walk. Thanks for making me more aware!

Here in Puerto Viejo, I don't notice much perfume at all (confirming what Julie already said!). It's sort of a surfer town, so people don't bother much with perfume. Sometimes I smell incense at the jewelry booths in town, or coming from people's windows, if that bothers you.

On the other hand, I remember some unpleasant perfumes in Atenas, where we lived previously. Our house was set back from the street, yet we would still often smell huge clouds of perfume or aftershave sometimes when people walked past our gate, depending on the wind. This would tend to happen most often on weekend, when families tend to dress up and walk around more. Sundays seemed to be a big day for couples to get out on the street and walk their babies in strollers, or just walk. Those days were sometimes rather smelly. Sometimes, driving with a window down, the perfume would go through our car as we passed people on the street.

My advice is to stick to the more relaxed beach communities, or get a house way up in the mountains away from others. Maybe avoid shopping on weekends, when everyone is dressed up.

Trisha
costaricabirthandresidency.com

Trisha
What you described sounds a lot like here in St. Augustine. Weekends do tend to be more fragrant. So do tourists. Some times the tour trolley going by smells like a bordello on wheels!

My wife does what she calls vampire shopping -going to shop late atnight when there are fewer people and their perfume has had a chance to wear off.

But,so far the reports on Costa Rica sound very positive.

One respondent said that my wife's condition was 'interesting' or facinating.It is not those things - it stinks! It makes life a constant battle of trade offs. If you goout to socialize you will pay for. Going to the doctor's office can MAKE you sick. You never know when some one drenched in perfume is going to trapyou in the check out line of the store.

I'm glad that they are now more aware of fragrances. Increased awareness is part of the solution.

Dan

Dan,
I know how serious your wife's condition is  - I've met quite a few people, in the course of things, that were rather crippled by chemical or odor sensitivities. I hope she is able to find solutions that work for her and don't keep her too isolated!

Best wishes,
Trisha

Hi Dan -
I once spent an entire semester (several hours each time in class) where I *always* seemed to end up near the woman who "showered" in rose perfume.  "Class day" became "headache day."
That was years ago, and I still remember it.  "Interesting" doesn't come near to the word I use...
Perfume wearers here are a bit more restrained, thankfully.
Julie

Hi Dan -
As I was shopping today, I remembered this thread - am now compelled to write :/
Even in the grocery stores that cater to "odd-item shoppers" (e.g., Auto Mercado), I have been unable to find many unscented items - deodorant, liquid hand soap, laundry detergent...  I did find unscented/sensitive bath soap (yay!), and, after some experimentation, have found some version of all the products that are not obnoxious (to me).  My husband still does not go down the cleaning product aisle, and I make quick runs along it.  I *think* I have seen "All" clear laundry soap, but can't remember - one quick glance at the price of things like that (and Tide), and I don't want to look again :-). One plus to the high humidity here - I no longer need dry sheets - don't need to hunt for unscented bounce!
Julie

Julie,
Thanks for keeping this thread in mind. I know how hard it is (and getting harder every day!) to find unscented stuff. I do the shopping in the cleaning and laundry section of our local supermarket. One trip down that aisle and my wife is toast!

Fortunately, just because som one has scented stuff doesn't mean that they will reek of it. Some scented things fade with time.

Keep us in mind and keep us posted on the fragrance levels you encounter in Costa Rica!

Thanx

Dan Valone