Variation in rental prices

Good day everybody,

i am new to this forum and also new to Belgium.

planning to stay for almost 1 year for study purpose in Antwerp starting from Sept.

After a deep and comprehensive search on the posts and the helpful response from the members. i found that there is quite huge difference on prices between the flats available for rent.

some of them looks fine but still i can not make a clear judgment yet. prices for furnished flats start from 400 a month. However, you will start seeing a good clean ones from 700 upward. And i can see that most of landlords are looking for long term contract.

As for me i am planning to stay in very close area to my study classes (walking distance). my classes are taking place in Antwerp P.O.Box 2000. when i search for such address it gives me huge feedback and flats that not even close to the area i wanted !!

would someone please recommend and advice on the right way to search for a flat on certain street, the proper condition of flat to choose and what type of contracts  i am expecting.

sorry for being annoying and wish you all a pleasant day.

Dubai

If your a student you want to probs look for kots of studios for students. Basically normal rental here useually runs on 3, 9 and 10 year contracts with some expections but rarely. I dont no about antwerp but in lauven my partner paud about 3 to 400 a months for his small studio kot bed shower room and kitchenette.

Thanks hannah,

But i am looking for 1 to 2 bed rooms. I noticed that there is no gap between both prices. Well, with brolong contracts i think i will have problem finding a contract covering only one year.

Yeah but they are legal ways to get out of a contract. Basically on ours its 2 bed for 700 outside of gent, If we leave after 1 year its 2 months rent and 2 years its 1 months rent. So we cant get of of it for a price its a 3 year contract

Well understood hannah,
In this case i will lose the deposit in case i did not complete the agreed duration.
Which is at the end the best solution to overcome the prolong contracts.

What about (immoweb) it shows many options but when it comes to fixing the contract. Do they do it them self or they play as third party only !

Also the Tax. Are students exempted !

Thanks again

You can only have 2 types of contract : fixed short term of any length up to 3 years and 9 year contracts which have penalties in the first 3 years and none thereafter. For Fixed contracts, they are normally payable for the full period (some landlords allow a diplomatic clause) even if you leave early.

You won't find most kots on immoweb, in French they're often marked "co-loc" sorry don't know the Dutch term. Most kots are advertised through university housing offices, FB, apartager.be

Contracts are set by landlords.

Student and tax, can't help you there.

Many thanks Tervurener for the information.

Now my problem with contracts are solved.

i will go for short term contract and i think it would be better to consult University staff before fixing a contract to recap on the clauses included within the contract.

for kots i am not interested in student rooms. i would rather go for 1 or 2 beds apartment.

immoweb is fine so far but still looking around for more.

would appreciate if someone can post another web works as immoweb.

thanks once again.

Immoweb contains 99% of ordinary accommodation. I'm not sure where else to look. You will have to pay more for a short term contract, that is life. From the point of view of a landlord, it's too much of a hassle to do such short term in most cases. Those more willing are likely to be on the lists at universities.

Many thanks indeed for your information.

Now i have a very clear image of how rental goes in Antwerp. I will consult the uni before making further moves.

Regards