Invoicing for freelancing jobs

Hi,

I have recently moved to Budapest and am new to expat-blog. I have just started looking for work (english teaching). I have had an interview and exchanged emails with a few language school. The problem is...i need to be able to issue an invoice.

I have heard that becoming self-employed might not be worth it, as i probably won't be earning too much and i don't know anyone who has a company that i could use to issue invoices throgh.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jenna

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Jenna!

Maybe you should try posting an advert in the Budapest jobs section.
It might help.

Regards
Armand

Hi Jenna

Are you an EU citizen?

Hi,
I'm an Australian citizen....so need a work permit also.
Any suggestions?

Hi,

Welcome to the Hungarian reality: Trying to do it legally is very complicated, expensive, and puts you in the crosshairs of all the different authorities which seem to exist only to collect fines from law abiding citizens.

You'll have a hard time competing with those who are paid under the table ("zsebbe", "straight into the pocket", to teach you an important expression.)

jennab wrote:

Hi,
I'm an Australian citizen....so need a work permit also.
Any suggestions?

Either a work permit or an address card, both can be asked at your district's governmental office.

You can find them here: budapestinfo.eu/ugyintezes/apeh_kirendeltsegek It may be wise to find someone who speaks hungarian as well.

Seeing as you will send invoices and as a freelancer, but szocke can probably verify this as well, you may need a tax number as well. But I am not quite sure regarding the invoices/freelance work and as non-EU citizen. Szocke can fill in that number.

In practical terms it won't happen
You need to find some private work for cash to make it happen - too hard.
Maybe you can think latterly and maybe do some internet based work in Australia so you do reports or whatever in Australia via email while in Budapest and get it paid into an Aussie account and transfer the funds to your Hungarian bank account.

First thing, you really need to figure out your visa situation. Most countries don't issue visa's unless you have full time employment.

Only country i found that does this is Germany, but you have to show that you are self employed and have financial backing, potential clients and so on.

Also consider that as an autralian you only have 3 months on your tourist visa waiver in the shengen area. If you overstay that period, on your way out you might get blacklisted and banned for 3-5 years.

i dont think you can reigster at your district's governmental office unless you already have a resident/work visa.

Aleksey.voz wrote:

Most countries don't issue visa's unless you have full time employment.

Not germane to Jenna's post, but to clarify: Hungary (and others such as the US and Switzerland) offer "investment visas", which allow immediate full time residence. Oddly, in Hungary, you can not work if you have an investment visa. But if one can afford the 250,000 Euro "investment" required, one probably does not need to work.

Hi!

I am also a teacher of English to have recently relocated in Budapest. I would like to know if you could resolve your problems with invoicing and whether you could give me any advice regarding it.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
E.

Hello Eleonora55

kindly note that the thread on which you are participating is dated Nov 2013 and you may not have any responses.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Eleonora55 wrote:

I am also a teacher of English to have recently relocated in Budapest. I would like to know if you could resolve your problems with invoicing and whether you could give me any advice regarding it.

In Hungary, to provide a bill/invoice to a client you need to either start a company or go to the tax office and declare yourself as a freelance worker. The former requires an attorney, and the later is complicated to do if you do not speak Hungarian. Once you get either setup, the tax office gives you a business tax ID number which you take to a stationary store and they print up special tax office approved billing receipts for you with your number on it. Then you provide to your clients all your bills on these receipts. You have also get an accountant to process your yearly income taxes and VAT taxes were applicable (10,000 HUF month minimum for a competent one). If you have otherwise a full time job that job should pay your social taxes, else you will have to also pay those, in advance (30% of estimated income), either monthly or quarterly.