Health insurance

I am Irish and met a German girl during my work and travel experience in Australia. Now I am in Germany. I am already registered here and I went to the ŽBundesagentur für ArbeitŽ to be in the system as ŽarbeitssuchendŽ. I (or better my girlfriend) was in contact with the BIG insurance to get me covered. But I am a bit confused. It is right to get a German health insurance if I am planning to work in Germany, right? I do have the European health insurance card but I thought that, as soon as I am registered I canŽt use it here anymore. Am I loosing money now or did I do the right thing?

As soon as you take residence in Germany, you must have health cover in a German insurance. Just register at the nearest "Krankenkasse" (there are many, but they are all the same). When you work, the fee depends on your salary and is deducted automatically. Before you start work, it's approx. €160/month.
If you don't register, they'll just charge you later - you can't escape.
A more complicated alternative (with more options and possibly cheaper if you are young, have no family and earn much) is private health cover. You can approach a "private Krankenversicherung" for information - again there are many, but they differ widely in scope and services.

Hello Jordi and welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks a lot for the information Beppi.

Hope we get more and more responses.

Thank you,
Pravin.