Social Insurance for Irish expats who lived outside of EU

Dear those who know the nuts and bolts of the French health insurance system,
could you possibly help to find the right answer for our situation:
we (Irish family of 3) plan to relocate to Montpellier for 9 to 12 month, as I would like to do a study course there.
Since we have not been living in EU for the last 3 yrs, it gets somewhat complicated with the social security (health insurance).

I guess we will have to get a private one, and the prices appear to be excruciating... Perhaps there is some way to get at least part of that cost covered?
We are both in our forties. I will be doing a course, while my husband will be looking after our 4 y.o daughter (we have enough savings to pay our living expenses). We would like her to attend a creche for a half-day or so to socialize with the other kids and to learn some French. So my husband can in theory get a part-time job (unfortunately he has no formal degree, except a short "Teach English to foreigners" course, and on top of everything he has no French, so it has to be something very basic)
The chances are probably slim, but if he does manage to get a part-time job, will this help with the matter of getting social insurance?
I am not really that worried about ourselves (thanks God, we are in good health), but a 4 y.o really needs some protection, as even having a cold will require a visit to a doctor...
Thank you very much for your help and advice
Ivonne

Hello irash.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, do not hesitate to read the various articles in the France participative guide.

Thank you,
Auréleie

There are 2 ways into the French health system - firstly obtain a job - but beware, you need payslip showing that you have worked at least 60 hours in the first month. No payslips, no health cover.

The second way is to register as an Autoentrepreneur - for example as an English teacher. But paperwork may take months to come through.

But I don't think any doctor or hospital emergency dept would refure to treat a 4 year-old. However, simplest way is going private.

It is important to note that even if you are "in" the system you are only covered for 70% of costs - so top-insurance is strongly recommended.

Is there a problem with your child's health? If not, then there will be plenty of free advice from your neighbourhood pharmacy.