A co-op form of community developed by residents, not by developers

Hello,
My name is Rebecca, new to this site. I joined here a couple days ago with my interest in retiring to Ecuador in a few years. We've lived in Ohio for the last 20 years. My hubby and I plan to visit Ecuador soon.

I am interested in finding a co-op form of expat community in a mountain area of Ecuador, where the weather is pleasant without high humidity.  If such community does not exist in Ecuador, I would like to meet with some people who would be interested in developing and creating this sort of community.

So, what is a co-op form of expat community? My notion here is based on a cooperative grassroots community. For example, a group of people with similar interests (e.g., living in mountain area) could get together and buy a piece of land without involving a profit-making developer. In other words, a group of people work together from selection of land, purchase process, designs, house construction, and so on. Group members could make decisions for creating their own community in many details. I would prefer an eco-friendly, sustainable approach to developing a community, yet the community members should discuss different ideas and come up with the agreed-upon decision. Due to individual differences, this co-op model would not work well for a large size of community. However, it would work well for a small size. Thus, I am thinking of fewer than 20 households, in which each household has its own property of chosen size.

I have several reasons for thinking about this co-op model of expat community.
(1)    It can save money to build your home because you don't involve a developer. You will save as much as the developer's profits.
(2)    You can also save money due to the community's purchasing power. For example, the community can negotiate construction costs with different builders and contractors.
(3)    You have the opportunity to input your preferences in every step of development. It does not mean that you get everything you want, but all decisions will be made by community members, including you. (I believe that individual preferences be respected unless they affect other people's well-being.)
(4)    You have heard that two persons are better than one person. Working as a community of people is better than working alone. Different people can bring different resources and skills. Some people may contribute language skills, whereas others may contribute knowledge and skills, such as construction management, permaculture, architecture, laws, internet/TV setup, and so on.  I think I can contribute my management and research skills.
(5)The community can function as a mutual support system. As expats, we all live far away from our own family and support system. In a foreign country, we all need a new support system. Community members can look out for each other. When someone is away from home, for example, neighbors can keep eyes on the property and care for his/her pets without hiring a house sitter.  When someone is sick, community members can take the sick person to hospital. The level of support is up to what community members want, but my vision is to create a support system which helps community residents live in their own home as long as possible before moving into nursing homes.)

Some folks may like to live in quite area, close to nature with growing their own foods, away from cookie-cutter housing units in a city. I am one of them. Nonetheless, I am afraid to live outside the city limit, due to security issue and the lack of support system nearby. Despite some developers sell a property outside cities, I hate to buy it in much inflated price.

If you happen to have a similar interest, contact me at [email protected].  We can brainstorm together.  (Please note that I am neither a seller nor real estate broker. I have been working in academics for all my life. I am searching for living in a grassroots community developed by people, not by greedy developers.)  Thanks for reading.

Regards, Rebecca

Sounds interesting and inviting. I'm game.  We may be visiting in July

Rebecca:
I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit and organization efforts to find like minded “kindred spirits” to create a communal atmosphere. Good luck to you and others that join in your efforts.

What I am confused about is your apparent disdain for “greedy” developers. When you consider the financial risk developers assume investing in infrastructure (roads, water, utilities, and construction) and the interest cost assumed for the three to five years from conception to completion, you have to admit they are willing to accept high risk to achieve a vision. I am not a developer but I do admire the confidence they have in their convictions and willingness to “put their money where their mouth is”.

Finally, in reality are you not the developer on this project? When you eventually sell your property will you ask only for the “out of pocket” cost you incurred?  Or will you seek “current market price” recognizing the cost in time and money you invested in your vision including “management and research”?

My point is let's not be so critical of others that provide a service some, such as yourself, may not fully appreciate.

Maybe you like-minded people could find something like an abandoned movie ranch, cut out the greedy developers entirely.

You could name it....
" Manson Acres "

Hmmm. Sounds a little like a kibbutz.

Hello fdmcd,

I apologize if I offended you by ‘greedy developers.' I can see now that ‘greedy' was not the right word to use without explaining what I meant. I meant big investment corporations by ‘greedy developers.' I called them ‘greedy' based on what they have done in Panama, Costa Rica, and other countries. They have contributed to high inflations in real estate in these countries. Ecuador seems to be their next target.

You admired their real estate investments as ‘entrepreneurship.'  To me, entrepreneurship is only applied, if someone has created a business that does something good for society overall. I would not call their property investments as ‘entrepreneurship,' because their business activities have resulted in doing more harm than good in those central/south American countries. For example, they've made it much more difficult for native people to purchase a house than ever before. They do not help migrating American retirees either, because housing in those countries is no longer affordable. This is why I am critical of large-scale developers in central/south American countries.

Second, you seem to misunderstand our intention. We intend to buy a property in this co-op community in order to have a shelter for the rest of our lives. We don't intend to buy a property and then sell for a quick profit. In fact, if we can survive with our pension income only, without the need of selling our home until death, we hope to donate it to a non-profit organization in Ecuadore. Finally, I am not a developer. We want to participate in building a co-op community as A Member. The developer in my proposal is not any particular individual, but the co-op community itself. I hope this give you some clarification.

Thank you for your comments. Rebecca

Rebecca,
I understand the concept of what you are trying to accomplish, and I think it's a really great idea. It has been done in Ecuador. There was a young couple that had a blog about their community. I'll see if I can dig it up, and I'll pm you if I do.
Of course, the first thing most from N. A. will think of is a 60's style, "Hippy Commune", which ain't a bad thing.
Certainly you will require some very talented people in your group. What you are trying do is a huge endeavor, and there are a ton of issues that will arise, but with determination and hard work, along with some brainpower, you will see your dream come to fruition. I applaud your determination.
Best of Luck!!!
Neil

I like the idea of a cop but is not interested in buying I want to rent in case I don't like it. But being around other American also on society sound wherei would like to be when I move there. The helping each other if needed sure appeals to me.

That sounds very interesting. I always liked the idea of a commune like they had in the movie "The Beach." But of course, that was TV.

I think in reality, it's sort of pie-in-the-sky to make utopia succeed with a bunch of strangers unless they're libertarians that have an entrepreneurial mindset and are willing to keep their noses out of their neighbors' affairs. But with comments about greedy corporations, I can already see that this isn't what's being considered here. This will end up like the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Two guys will end up doing all the work while the rest sit around and brag about how well their commune is coming along.

But if you can make it work, then I'll be envious. It does sound like a fabulous place to live.

brainteaser wrote:

I would not call their property investments as ‘entrepreneurship,' because their business activities have resulted in doing more harm than good in those central/south American countries. For example, they've made it much more difficult for native people to purchase a house than ever before. They do not help migrating American retirees either, because housing in those countries is no longer affordable. This is why I am critical of large-scale developers in central/south American countries.

How would building houses cause an increase in housing costs? The law of supply and demand tells us that prices increase when demand outstrips supply. When developers build more houses that increases the supply.

If prices are increasing, then it is because demand is up, not because of anything the developers are doing.

Bob

HelenRudd wrote:

I like the idea of a cop but is not interested in buying I want to rent in case I don't like it. But being around other American also on society sound wherei would like to be when I move there. The helping each other if needed sure appeals to me.

Sure, you like the idea of a cop, but where's one when you need him?

Hey BobH, from what I have read the housing prices are going up because for every gringo hitting the market there are 7 Ecuadorians returning home from making their money overseas.  The idea that building new homes causes a price rise is hard to fathom.

mugtech wrote:

Hey BobH, from what I have read the housing prices are going up because for every gringo hitting the market there are 7 Ecuadorians returning home from making their money overseas.  The idea that building new homes causes a price rise is hard to fathom.

Exactly. Let's take it as a given that prices are increasing. If so, then presumably it is because there is an increase in demand (whether gringos or returning Ecuadorians or both).

The new developments would, if anything, be tempering the increase in prices by meeting some of the demand.